• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Hartman looked like “the natural” in the NC/SC shrine bowl.

Regardless of who starts, I think we have 2 good QB options, each one having their own strengths.
Think they will both play and will give defenses different things to be concerned about...……….just like changing RBs or WRs.
I would think (and hope) the mentality of the QBs as well as the whole team is to do what's needed to win each game.
In some cases, you might play more, in some cases less. Doesn't matter as long as the team wins.

When you lack QB depth, and the QBs are very close to even, I like going with the upperclassman initially in order not to upset the apple cart and keep both players on board. An underclassman, partic a true freshman, is more likely to defer to the upperclassman's seniority than vice versa.

Of course, if underclassman actually wins the competition materially, you've got to give it to him.

True frosh starting QB? Who played in Charleston private school league last year? Yikes.

Between the lines [football field]
reading between the lines [good decision making on the field]

accidental brilliance is the best.

True frosh starting QB? Who played in Charleston private school league last year? Yikes.

They play a bizarre schedule, but Oceanside Collegiate is in fact a public charter school in Class AA. Against a mix of public and private school foes last year, Hartman led the state in passing.

But I do seem to remember a freshman QB from a Jacksonville private school working out fairly well.

Last edited:
Hartman looked like “the natural” in the NC/SC shrine bowl.

I think he was the beneficiary of the Wake recruiting bump. He committed so early that I think he skipped most of the recruiting camps and campus visits that would have made him a much higher ranked recruit.

Dude might break every career QB record Wake has... and he might not. #hottake

Hartman started 2 seasons at Davidson Day and won at least 1 state championship. Charlotte private school competition, and some of the public schools they played, were pretty strong. Obviously, still nothing like the ACC.

Personally, I'd like to see Newman start and get the majority of the snaps initially to see what he can do, especially considering I expect to go run-heavy in the first few games. Surely Newman is the better (definitely more powerful) runner. If he proves to be unable to make the reads/throws in game situations and the running game stagnates, then bring in Hartman.

Hartman started 2 seasons at Davidson Day and won at least 1 state championship. Charlotte private school competition, and some of the public schools they played, were pretty strong. Obviously, still nothing like the ACC.

Personally, I'd like to see Newman start and get the majority of the snaps initially to see what he can do, especially considering I expect to go run-heavy in the first few games. Surely Newman is the better (definitely more powerful) runner. If he proves to be unable to make the reads/throws in game situations and the running game stagnates, then bring in Hartman.

I'm with Tigerswood on wanting to see Newman start, and I'm excited to see how he does. Hartman will play in both of the first two games though. Both are mobile, seem to be very smart, and have good arms. In the end, the biggest factor is going to be making the right RPO reads. That's why I give the nod to Newman - he has two years on Hartman in this system.

I also expect Newman to start, but the fact that he hasn’t won the job outright yet is a bit concerning.

This is from Clawson today when I asked if tomorrow is the most important day for Jamie and Sam. It's about half of his answer, the rest is about how good Wake was in situational football last year, and how unique of a place Wake's offense is in given QB is the only inexperienced position.

"It really is (the most important day). I mean, it’s – you guys are out here, it’s back-and-forth. Tomorrow we’re going to do a lot more situational stuff. We’re going to do an overtime, we’re going to do a four-minute drill.
"Create some red-zone things and just see how they process some of the decision-making.
"I think when it’s first-and-10 and second down and we’re out here just playing plays, I think both of them are executing at a real high level."

This is from Clawson today when I asked if tomorrow is the most important day for Jamie and Sam. It's about half of his answer, the rest is about how good Wake was in situational football last year, and how unique of a place Wake's offense is in given QB is the only inexperienced position.

"It really is (the most important day). I mean, it’s – you guys are out here, it’s back-and-forth. Tomorrow we’re going to do a lot more situational stuff. We’re going to do an overtime, we’re going to do a four-minute drill.
"Create some red-zone things and just see how they process some of the decision-making.
"I think when it’s first-and-10 and second down and we’re out here just playing plays, I think both of them are executing at a real high level."

Thanks Conor. Keep the updates coming!

Love that Clawson is embracing putting simulated (or real I guess) pressure on these guys and seeing how they respond. Hopefully will yield better competition and results than simply naming a starter and backup.

Also, prevents Tulane from being able to gear up for one guy - at least physically, they're very different players. You gotta know Tulane defenders are hoping Hartman starts instead of the 6'4, 240 lb dude to go along with our OL and RBs.

I also expect Newman to start, but the fact that he hasn’t won the job outright yet is a bit concerning.

Clawson often says "when the lights come on" when referring to how well players will perform under pressure and in real-game situations. We won't know that from either of these QB's until August 30th.
I think it will come down to who can slow things down and process real-game situations the best.

Again, with two very young QB's, I don't think we'll know until two or even three games into the season.

I suspect that Hartman is the best QB on the squad passing the ball. That is the edge that has allowed him to challenge/displace Newman and Hinton. Hinton is the best running the football...no contest. Newman is second best in both categories. If the OL and running backs perform as projected, the need for the QB to run could be diminished and passing ability would be a determining factor in choosing a QB. Decision making in the RPO is highest priority. If Hartman and Newman show poorly "when the lights come on" Hinton will resume #1 status. Clawson has shown that he values experience and judgement in his QB. Hinton has the experience and is the known commodity "when the lights come on".

Back