• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

All Duke football fans have banned from games for years. They parole a few each year so they can remind us all that Wallace Wade once hosted a Rose Bowl game. PS - must have been nasty as hell that day.

Somewhere, 50 Duke fans are going to be really upset! 😄

tenor.gif

UNC coaches taking 20% pay cuts til June 2021

Dear Tar Heel Family,

The Covid-19 pandemic has forced our student-athletes, coaches and staff, and Carolina Community to adjust in many ways. Classes have gone remote, championships have been pushed to the Spring, and we will begin our football and Olympic Fall sports seasons without fans in the stands.

All of this continues to have a negative financial impact on our 28-sport program. We expect to lose between $30 million and $52 million of projected revenue, including ticket sales, sponsorship and television revenue, conference distributions and concessions sales. This is money that we count on to fund our 28 teams and provide scholarships and important services to our student-athletes (including academic, medical and nutritional support).

We already have cut our sport budgets by 10 percent for 2020-21, implemented a spending freeze, halted non-essential travel and left 17 full-time open positions in the department unfilled. In addition, earlier today we shared with our department a difficult decision: effective October 1, we will implement a salary reduction or furlough to each full-time member of our staff, as follows:
Coaches and staff members making $200,000 or more will have their salaries reduced by 20 percent,
Coaches and staff members making $100,000 to $200,000 will have their salaries reduced by 10 percent, and
Coaches and staff members who make less than $100,000 will be furloughed for 15 days.
These reductions will be in effect until June 30, 2021.

This was not an easy decision. Our coaches and staff work diligently each day to ensure that our student-athletes have the best experience possible, and their dedication makes Carolina a truly special place. This was also a necessary decision, because we must do everything we can to provide as many opportunities as possible for student-athletes in the future.

Unfortunately, these reductions will not cover our projected losses in revenue in 2020-21. As we move forward, I will continue to work with Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz, Rams Club Executive Director John Montgomery and others to find additional ways to address our financial challenges and prepare for the future.

Please join me in thanking our coaches and staff for all they continue to do to support our student-athletes, department, University and Carolina Community. Thanks also to all of you who continue to support us in so many ways – as Rams Club members, as contributors to our sports programs, as fans. We continue to face challenges we never would have imagined a year ago as this terrible pandemic continues. We will continue to get through this, together.

Please stay safe.

Sincerely,

Bubba Cunningham
Director of Athletics

Hey Conor/Les. Is there a link to yesterday’s Clawson/Cotton show?

So, instead of Covid, football players have less time for conditioning-which leave more opportunities for physical industries.

Like your mining, your drilling, your excavation, etc

I didn't feel great about this season before Covid.. Too many major losses at key positions. And when you review last year, there were so many games that were really very close, that could have gone either way. Florida State's a good example. If we didn't have Jamie, Hinton, Sage, and Cade Carney, in many of those type games, we would never have won. Still a little concerned about Hartman. Love his moxie. Hope he's corrected throwing the ball too much into crowds. Can he start without having a major injury? No big bruiser running back, no sure handed receivers.

Who knows what will happen now with Covid and what effect that will have. Seems to me it's going to be even harder for us since we don't get to play the out-of-conference schedule and the new one looks absolutely brutal to me.

OK. Debbie Downer. I know. Fire away...

I didn't feel great about this season before Covid.. Too many major losses at key positions. And when you review last year, there were so many games that were really very close, that could have gone either way. Florida State's a good example. If we didn't have Jamie, Hinton, Sage, and Cade Carney, in many of those type games, we would never have won. Still a little concerned about Hartman. Love his moxie. Hope he's corrected throwing the ball too much into crowds. Can he start without having a major injury? No big bruiser running back, no sure handed receivers.

Who knows what will happen now with Covid and what effect that will have. Seems to me it's going to be even harder for us since we don't get to play the out-of-conference schedule and the new one looks absolutely brutal to me.

OK. Debbie Downer. I know. Fire away...

I mean ... they literally didn't have Jamie for the FSU game and won.

I've written before and stand by this: It's not some kind of 50-50 tossup that Wake wins more close games than they lose. Their discipline and winning turnover margins swing the scales in their direction.

Wake's offense calls for Hartman to sometimes throw the ball into crowds, i.e. the middle of the field on slants on RPOs. That's what Donavon Greene scored on at Syracuse and what Wolford used in 2017. It wasn't Jamie's strength -- that was throwing the ball vertically.

You're absolutely right about the nonconference schedule.

Conor hit it head on. In our offense someone needs to be great in short throws and average in long throws. With Newman we were great in long throws and average in short throws (an interesting conundrum considering Newman’s running ability).

I have been a lifer Newman guy, so I’m using Sykes & Matza’s (1969) Neutralizing techniques.

I think I am covering the Wake/Clemson game, but with the restrictions, I might be doing it from the front seat of my news car in the parking lot listening to Stan, Larry and MisterDaveTV. Hopefully they will let us do liveshots from the parking lot. Covid sucks.

I mean ... they literally didn't have Jamie for the FSU game and won.

I've written before and stand by this: It's not some kind of 50-50 tossup that Wake wins more close games than they lose. Their discipline and winning turnover margins swing the scales in their direction.

Wake's offense calls for Hartman to sometimes throw the ball into crowds, i.e. the middle of the field on slants on RPOs. That's what Donavon Greene scored on at Syracuse and what Wolford used in 2017. It wasn't Jamie's strength -- that was throwing the ball vertically.

You're absolutely right about the non-conference schedule.

That's why I put Jamie in there as a key player. If he had played vs FSU, I figure the game would probably have been something like 30-20. I think he would have been good for 2 TDs on those 5 FGS, most inside the 10. Hinton's behind the back one-handed catch in that game may have been the best reception I've ever personally seen.

Some are underestimating Hartman and judging him by his true freshman year when he was not physically ready for the pounding that he took. Newman is a talented player, but Hartman is the more accurate passer, and Hartman is much thicker and stronger now. Speculate that one of the reasons Newman transferred was that he knew that he would have to compete with Hartman for PT at WF. Hartman clearly outplayed Newman against Cuse, and Newman struggled in the Pinstripe Bowl. When Newman faced the same situation at UGA, he bailed.

Playing Clemson first sucks because they are so physically dominant that a bad loss could hurt team confidence. That said, if Hartman stays healthy, he will leave WF as the most prolific passer in WF history, and not just because he may play 6 seasons at QB for WF.

One positive way to look at it, we have a chance to avenge every ACC loss from last season (including ND).

Some are underestimating Hartman and judging him by his true freshman year when he was not physically ready for the pounding that he took. Newman is a talented player, but Hartman is the more accurate passer, and Hartman is much thicker and stronger now. Speculate that one of the reasons Newman transferred was that he knew that he would have to compete with Hartman for PT at WF. Hartman clearly outplayed Newman against Cuse, and Newman struggled in the Pinstripe Bowl. When Newman faced the same situation at UGA, he bailed.

Playing Clemson first sucks because they are so physically dominant that a bad loss could hurt team confidence. That said, if Hartman stays healthy, he will leave WF as the most prolific passer in WF history, and not just because he may play 6 seasons at QB for WF.

Hartman more muscle but still small frame compared to Newman....and Newman got hurt 3 times last year....but do agree with the bold above....which begs the question, Why did Clawson not put Hartman in with time to actually win the Michigan St. game?

Last edited:
Hartman more muscle but still small frame compared to Newman....and Newman got hurt 3 times last year....but do agree with the bold above....which begs the question, Why did Clawson not put Hartman in with time to actually win the Michigan St. game?

Yes it does.

Back