• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

Those two should be bringing the lumber. (sponsored by yellawood)

I'm not very worried about run defense this year. Wake should be pretty good up the middle of the field, but maaaaan I hope they can cover on the outside.

Trying to recall what kind of speed Jaquez and Ryan have. Anyone know who our speediest LB's are? My guess would be one of the newcomers.

We always seem to get burned on the outside. D line is going to have to play elite to keep Etienne in check. We need to not have to rely on Greer to save touchdowns

Trying to recall what kind of speed Jaquez and Ryan have. Anyone know who our speediest LB's are? My guess would be one of the newcomers.

We always seem to get burned on the outside. D line is going to have to play elite to keep Etienne in check. We need to not have to rely on Greer to save touchdowns

Ja'Cquez is a former HS running back and has really good speed, though Chase Jones might have an edge. Hemphill hinted that Jones might have played all of last season with a torn hip labrum -- and he was good enough to be their 4th or 5th LB with that injury.

Smenda always looks quite slow out there to me, but that's not unusual for a MLB. Abbate was quicksand slow for a P5 LB and look how good he was.

Smenda and Taylor are both the big, downhill run stoppers. Not so strong with lateral speed or coverage. That'll have to be Williams or Jones.

Agreed this is about what I expected, though there are a lot of -ors-. WR and secondary are young, but should have talent.

I agree with Creamy that Morin is gonna be a stud. I think he'll be the guy by the end of the season.

Masterson, Redd, and Greer are the best players on the back end, so I agree with getting them all on the field at once.

Davis, Rucker, and Bothroyd are all injured. At least 2/3 should be back in a few weeks.

Stewart as the 4th WR, splitting with a true freshman, is a disappointment. Looks like a waste of a grad transfer slot.

Zach Tom dropped "Terrance isn't going to be playing this year so a big loss" in his player interview portion at the 51 min Mark of Clawson's YouTube presser this week. So that die is cast. Cohen had mentioned Bothroyd " a few weeks away" back in his presser maybe 2 weeks ago. Don't remember a Rucker mention but glad Greer is ready.

I'm really excited for WFU football but I'm just not really... worried about this season. It's essentially a throw-away. Hopefully we win some games, have some fun times, and get everyone some experience for the future. I'm not going to be super disappointed if we don't end up >0.500 this this fucked up pandemic year.

I'm really excited for WFU football but I'm just not really... worried about this season. It's essentially a throw-away. Hopefully we win some games, have some fun times, and get everyone some experience for the future. I'm not going to be super disappointed if we don't end up >0.500 this this fucked up pandemic year.

I hear you, but I am because of what could have been. A better schedule, having Sage play... I had a little more hope going in. And now we have to accept likely reality of a losing season. Granted, it’s always possible that we would’ve had one anyway. But a school like ours needs the momentum of consecutive winning seasons because it’s more rare for us. And we had that momentum and I just wish it hadn’t been tinkered with.

Of course, there are worst things to be dealing with. And maybe that’s your point... we should just enjoy it for whatever we can.

Zach Tom dropped "Terrance isn't going to be playing this year so a big loss" in his player interview portion at the 51 min Mark of Clawson's YouTube presser this week. So that die is cast. Cohen had mentioned Bothroyd " a few weeks away" back in his presser maybe 2 weeks ago. Don't remember a Rucker mention but glad Greer is ready.

The best injury info we've gotten came from the three assistant coaches a couple of weeks ago.

Ruggiero said, "Terrance would have played a lot football here for us." Before Zach Tom said anything about him Tuesday, Clawson said he's out for the year.

Cohen gave a timeline on Bothroyd, sounds like he could be back for ND, more likely for Campbell.

Hemphill said Rucker is hurt and wasn't practicing, hence Masterson was at safety and Redd at rover.

Yesterday's revelation was Greer telling me and Les that he had a torn ACL and MCL. The only thing anybody ever said about it before was it was a knee injury that required surgery. I'm not sure why -- probably because he played a few plays after the injury in the Syracuse game -- but I thought it was a meniscus or something that wasn't necessarily an 8-10 month recovery.

Smenda always looks quite slow out there to me, but that's not unusual for a MLB. Abbate was quicksand slow for a P5 LB and look how good he was.

so slow

gets cooked in pass coverage

was hoping DJ Taylor could push for the starting spot, but he's not even locked in as the backup

so slow

was hoping DJ Taylor could push for the starting spot, but he's not even locked in as the backup

Yeah. He's a pretty good rusher though. Strong bull rush. If he's out there on passing downs, just send him.

so slow

Ryan Smenda Jr is the 10th best returning LB in coverage. Graded better than Chazz Surratt, Max Richardson, and Dax Hollifield

Ja'Cquez is 3rd

Is Allen still on the team ?

I emailed in a question last night during the coaches show about how does Clawson feel about our ability to create pressure on the QB from guys other than Boogie and he went into pretty good detail about how good he felt about our defensive line. He named several guys, well into our 2 or even 3 deep, but Allen's name was not one mentioned. Really strange, he showed a couple of flashes against State a couple of years ago, but last year he got moved to the interior and has been a complete ghost ever since.

Ryan Smenda Jr is the 10th best returning LB in coverage. Graded better than Chazz Surratt, Max Richardson, and Dax Hollifield

Ja'Cquez is 3rd

in what, the ACC? by what metric or which rating system?

does not pass the eye test

Campbell looking good so far at Ga Southern. Up 13-3 in the 2nd.

Back