• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest football 2020 outlook

Glad we are playing the Domers in Winston. I'll take every little advantage we can get.

Watch us upset Clemson and it will be the first home game I haven't been at since 2001.

If we win this game without you there, I’m sure we can fund your absence for a lot of other home games.

Yeah, but all of us won't be there, so if we win how can we tell whose lack of presence caused it?

What if we win all of our home games without fans? Maybe we've been doing it wrong all these years. Instead of trying to get more of our fans at games we should have been closing the stadium to fans for years. Frankly, would be easier to do than getting more of our fans and students there. J/K of course but...

One of my friends is a manager for football and another is an undergrad physical trainer for the team. Apparently there have been clusters on the team but they are not reported even within the dashboard Wake Forest releases with cases in the student body. Last week a significant portion of the receivers tested positive. They also said the players don't wear masks and are "coughing all over each other". Not trying to blame/shame the players at all as they already face enough bs on campus and have represented our school well, but I definitely think it is classic Wake Forest to sweep everything under the rug constantly.

I call BS on this rumor. There is nothing about Clawson that even sniffs about sweeping things under the rug. Your two friends leaking this kind of shit is despicable.

Totally agree that Clawson seems like a real standup guy and fantastic football coach and leader. However I don't think this is under Clawson's control, Wake as an institution always hides things. And if you read local reports, Wake is one of the only major schools not to release testing results from the athletic department every week. UNC, State, and Duke all do it and we do not. Living with someone who had to self quarantine due to exposure to the football team, that is how I found out about this "despicable leak", and it ain't bs. Should clarify what I said with the fact that I do not know every detail, but I do believe there have been several cases on team in recent rounds of testing, none of which have been reported anywhere, including in the school's official numbers for on campus students.

Last edited:
I call BS on this rumor. There is nothing about Clawson that even sniffs about sweeping things under the rug. Your two friends leaking this kind of shit is despicable.

Except that as a private school Clawson doesn't have to report these things. And we know Clawson isn't forthcoming about publicizing injuries. He wants Clemson to think everyone is perfectly healthy and going to play.

Except that as a private school Clawson doesn't have to report these things. And we know Clawson isn't forthcoming about publicizing injuries. He wants Clemson to think everyone is perfectly healthy and going to play.

Agree with both— I doubt Clawson would cover up anything, or even could , with the medical staff reporting results to the higher ups. If there is some truth to these rumors, I am sure Curry knows, and it wouldn’t surprise me that he is not reporting publicly.

What if we win all of our home games without fans? Maybe we've been doing it wrong all these years. Instead of trying to get more of our fans at games we should have been closing the stadium to fans for years. Frankly, would be easier to do than getting more of our fans and students there. J/K of course but...

Who wants dibs on writing the book," The Best Season That Was Never Seen."?

Who wants dibs on writing the book," The Best Season That Was Never Seen."?

Conor O'Neill and Les Johns, The Field Where It Happened: The 2020 Wake Forest Football National Championship Season

The players are coughing all over each other. Sounds like accurate information with no exaggeration.

Could be true, could be false. You don't know.

Could be true, could be false. You don't know.

Interesting if the receivers are disproportionately impacted. I heard the UCA coach talking last week that one of the precautions they were taking was to have players from different position groups room together to keep down the possibility of being wiped out at any given position. Makes sense.

Interesting if the receivers are disproportionately impacted. I heard the UCA coach talking last week that one of the precautions they were taking was to have players from different position groups room together to keep down the possibility of being wiped out at any given position. Makes sense.

Exactly. That’s why I think it’s weird to think Clawson would be forthcoming with such information. There’s honesty and there’s “Hey Les, all of our WRs are out with COVID. We are screwed.”

This is more what I meant when I said “hiding things”. For example, the Mets had two players test positive and the next day two players went on the IL for “undisclosed reasons”. Covid cases are never a good look and I don’t lose any respect in Clawson or athletics for not disclosing these cases publicly, so long as they are still conducting contact tracing on the team and on campus. My sources said they scrimmaged the other night at Truist and looked pretty rusty but they think they’ll at least cover against Clemson. I assume every team will be rusty with no spring ball and a very unusual fall camp, so nothing to worry about there. Also heard Hartman bulked up over the summer and is looking great. Think we’ll see a big leap for him this year if the o line can give him some time in the pocket..

Looks like a 32 point line. This is a strange year— a 10 point or 50 point loss would not be a surprise , but it seems that you could argue Dabo has nothing to gain in the first game by winning big— he rests his top players (who may not be in their usual prime condition)at the half and Wake covers easily. On the other hand Clawson might do the same thing.

Apologies if this has been mentioned specifically before, but it just struck me how young our offense is going to be this season. This year's experience is huge for our guys, especially considering this year won't count against eligibility. In looking at our starters or potential big minute guys, these are the potential number of seasons to come as a major contributor for some of our guys (including this season):

S Hartman - 4
K Walker - 4
N Groulx - 5
D Greene - 5
T Morin - 5
A Perry - 4
B Whiteheart - 4
Z Tom - 3
S Maginn - 3
L Nya - 3

Obviously every team that is playing this year gets the benefit of this year not counting toward eligibility, but there is no denying we are very young on O. We could be a very experienced team on offense in the next few years. Pair it with the fairly unprecedented amount of talent in that list, and we could be more explosive than ever.

Back