• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football / Military Bowl Thread

That return was huge. No doubt.

Special teams was awful aside from that one return. And if Armstrong just keeps running straight up the middle instead of cutting left, he scores easily.

Special teams had a fumble recovery that led to a TD, went 2 for 2 on field goals (and 4 for 4 PATs), only gave up an average of 28 yards per return on 6 kick-offs, had no fielding errors on punts or kickoffs (including a great grab by Bates on a punt), and had a higher punting and net punting average than Temple. Maggio had a bad 17 yd punt and we gave up a long KO return at the end.

Credit when due, Ron Wellman's management of the football program post-2006 is about as good as could be expected (balanced by an equal and opposite reaction for the mismanagement of a certain other program at Wake).

1. Keeping Jim Grobe when most other similarly-situated schools would have lost him (outside of Few at Gonzaga and Smart at VCU, who turns down a top 20 job when it is offered to stay at a non-traditional power?). We all know the history, but living life from a forward-looking pov, there is no way that letting Grobe walk was the "right" move post Orange Bowl. The Legend at what would-have-been would be a Wake-Forest-sized curse. He did the right, difficult thing.
2. Managing a tough but necessary transition with as much grace as could be reasonably expected. Smashcut to the end of the Tanner Price era, and the decapitation strike necessary to force a comfortable, established coaching staff out. Compare other situations and show me three that have been handled better in the modern history of college sports.
3. Bringing in the perfect renovation contractor to have this team knocking off a Top 25 team in a bowl game in three years. With everything going against this team (three Top 10 teams in their division; Wakeyleaks and injuries to the QBs), to beat a Top 25 team in a bowl game has to be a top 5 season in school history, all things considered. Credit to the guys, the coaches and yes, the a.d.

I don't know if I have seen this discussed here, from TOB, in the post-game interview Clawson said that Wake was his final job and he would coach here as long as we would have him.

Taken with a grain of salt of course, but interesting none the less.

I don't know if I have seen this discussed here, from TOB, in the post-game interview Clawson said that Wake was his final job and he would coach here as long as we would have him.

I was about to come here to post this. This was the icing on top of the cake for me, right after a bowl victory against a top 25 team. He has the fire and ability to become a legend at Wake Forest.

He also said he's not going to rush the DC pick and it's definitely not happening until after New Years. I like this decision as well, not rushing but making sure he gets one before the first recruiting weekend of the new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. That would be quite a statement. Will need some confirmation on that one because that requires an entire saltshaker.

I would hope that after another year of high school, one year of being in our program, spring ball and camps, etc., his skills as a QB will have improved greatly by next fall.

I haven't been following recruiting as closely as others. You all have me intrigued about him after hearing comments on this board. I will be very curious to see how the Qb competition will shape up in the spring and next fall.

Can't believe an AAC team playing against a P5 team in the same division as Clemson, Louisville and Florida State was dumb enough to take its opponent lightly.

Played our worst game of the past three years and still almost beat you.

Wait for it, wait for it..............ahhhhhhhh. That's sound of almost. I think it's funny that one of the top teams in the AAC "almost" beat a bottom tier ACC school. Had one of your better seasons in history and still couldn't beat little ole Wake Forest. Who you play matters. Suck it owls.

The defense played better in the BC game really than yesterday. They stepped up at crucial times yesterday, but also gave up several plays.

Temple was a better offense than BC.

Anyone know when the team is due to arrive back on campus?

Wait for it, wait for it..............ahhhhhhhh. That's sound of almost. I think it's funny that one of the top teams in the AAC "almost" beat a bottom tier ACC school. Had one of your better seasons in history and still couldn't beat little ole Wake Forest. Who you play matters. Suck it owls.

you're a pretty sore winner. No class.

They are headed back to being irrelevant.

When did they become relevant? because im pretty sure the only people that cared about the military bowl were temple fans and wake fans...maybe a couple acc fans, but the American conference is the biggest joke in college sports right now, well aside from the cheaters in crap hill

Back