• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football / Military Bowl Thread

Only 1 TD in the last 3 quarters...

I still think it's odd that the posts complaining about the conservative offense repeatedly ignore our last real drive. 8 plays, 6 passes. Only one completion. One of the runs went for 10 yards. Throwing behind Serigne into double coverage was a foot away from a disastrous pick 6 like the Louisville game. Still ended up punting.

Kearns has a nice arm, but he's simply not ready for that kind of pressure. The other killer is he can't pull the ball back on those option handoffs apparently - Temple was selling out completely to Carney before the handoffs even happened after the long return - Wolford keeps you honest there by pulling it and running outside. At that point the only weapons we had were on defense - a play like that monster sack was far more likely than Kearns throwing TD passes against one of the best defenses in the country.

1 touchdown in the last 3 quarters, plus about 12 minutes of the 1st quarter. We got the ball first, went 3 and out and they scored on their first play from scrimmage. So, the defense gave up one touchdown in the last 57 minutes of so of play, but I'm sure Lohegrin will be along to bitch about the defense.

A big reason for that was the yards they lost on QB sacks. Even at that, we held their number one running back to 35 yards.

I remember them having maybe one run, that was for any real significant gain.

We didn't just randomly decide to do that. It was dictated by an injury to our QB.

I dare say it was dictated more by the INT by Kearns. We mixed in some passes effectively in his very first series, which was a pretty good drive. Then two straight three and outs on six runs up the middle after his INT. At least the pick just lead to a touchback and wasn't a pick 6 type of thro, but it still seemed to have spooked Clawson enough to stop throwing for a while.

The crazy thing to me was that once we did open it up with Kearns, so many plays went to Washington.

Not ever having Wade and Hines in the field together is frustrating, as is rarely using the middle of the field in the passing game. I understand limiting mistakes but that can't happen again next year if the team is going to move forward. Gotta be able to move receivers around more and have the best playmakers on the field.

The first little drive Kearns put together where we ran a screen and a couple slants was looking nice until he made a bad decision on the long ball to Serigne. I would've liked to see a little more of the screens, slants, and check downs but who cares - we won. I'm glad Kearns could come in and manage the game pretty well without any turnovers that proved TOO costly. I figure he might transfer if he isn't first or second string next year which is too bad because he's an incredibly talented player, we just don't have the offensive line to accommodate him imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to give props to John Armstrong and special teams. The 80 kickoff return at the end of the fourth quarter was a gut punch to Temple and gave every Deacon fan a big lift. They came up huge when the team needed a big play.

Great way to finish a season.

That return was huge. No doubt.

Special teams was awful aside from that one return. And if Armstrong just keeps running straight up the middle instead of cutting left, he scores easily.

That return was huge. No doubt.

Special teams was awful aside from that one return. And if Armstrong just keeps running straight up the middle instead of cutting left, he scores easily.

Yep, I said the same thing when it happened, he cut the wrong way. The Temple defender was able to get just enough of an angle on him to force him out of bounds. Had he cut just a little inside instead of outside I think he could've out ran the pursuit. Regardless, it was a big play by Armstrong, when we needed something out of our special teams, that had really let us down most of the day other than the 1st half muffed punt recovery.

the football team won a game. no one gave them a snowball's chance in winning this game. be happy. don't be typical.

Actually I was just looking on si.com's staff bowl picks and 3 out of the 7 picked us to win. Would've thought Temple would've been unanimous.

Two of the punts that Wake fair caught saved a bunch of yards. Drives that might have started inside Wake's 10 instead started nearer the 20.

I wonder what was going on with Weaver'so kickoffs. He usually put them in the end zone but not yesterday. It didn't look like planned strategy but I could be convinced it was.

I dare say it was dictated more by the INT by Kearns. We mixed in some passes effectively in his very first series, which was a pretty good drive. Then two straight three and outs on six runs up the middle after his INT. At least the pick just lead to a touchback and wasn't a pick 6 type of thro, but it still seemed to have spooked Clawson enough to stop throwing for a while.

Clawson on the TV broadcast was frustrated and gave Kearns the look of basically "We had a great drive going...why'd you get greedy??? - don't be a hero and kill good drives"

Two of the punts that Wake fair caught saved a bunch of yards. Drives that might have started inside Wake's 10 instead started nearer the 20.

I wonder what was going on with Weaver'so kickoffs. He usually put them in the end zone but not yesterday. It didn't look like planned strategy but I could be convinced it was.

I think there was some wind effecting kickoffs. Bates did save us some yards fielding punts, the diving catch was a risky move, but paid off.

If Kearns had been willing to dink and dunk with the passes a little longer the game might have been a true blowout. Turn Kearns int into a TD and it opens up the running game.

Clawson on the TV broadcast was frustrated and gave Kearns the look of basically "We had a great drive going...why'd you get greedy??? - don't be a hero and kill good drives"

Yeah, it looked like he said something close to "you didn't have to do that, go through your progressions" because the play had Hines wide open on a quick out with Cam in double coverage down the middle. On the replay you can see he had the easy throw but a defender got through the line and got a hand on him on the way by, Kearns panicked and chucked it up for grabs. Kearns has a great arm but his decision making under pressure is still rough, and he seems to rifle short throws when he doesn't really need to (like the wide open Washington overthrow in the 2nd-to-last drive). Curious to see what happens with him with Hinton returning and talent on the way.

Great win as a heavy underdog. Who would have thought we would score 30+ in one half. WF crowd showed up, too.

Too bad for Wolford, he played one of his best games and wasn't able to stay in. But a major reason we won was his play.

The defense played amazing first-half. They were put in some tough positions in the second-half but made the plays needed to win. That 20-yard sack closed out the game.

Great win Deacs! After all the BS this team had to put up with the last few weeks, they had a well-earned win against a ranked opponent. Hope Clawson and Co can build off this.

Back