• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

I am not nervous about Tulane. But the sense of excitement about the season starting as a whole, the unmitigated optimism that usually leads to crushing sorrow year after year, yeah I'm all over that.

I'm not nervous about Tulane either. I'm just nervous that we may have a really bad team.

I'd love to see us bring the pain Thursday night. I've can hold a grudge a long time and this is the return game (finally) for our trip in the mid-90's to play Tulane at the Super Dome. In that game our QB Brian Kuklick suffered a broken arm and missed the rest of the season and we lost the game of course. It's payback time, 20 years in the making!

Best part of season is always before first game unless Wake wins 8 or more games which is possible only if we begin by beating Tulane and Duke. Still think we win 5 and lose the rest primarily because of combination of very average OL and bad formula at QB position. Would really prefer a cold plate of crow instead.

Because Clawson set 6 wins as the standard for success, fans should hold him responsible for 6 wins.

When did Clawson ever say "6 wins is the standard of success," ever?

Tulane is really really bad. They're practically an FCS school this year in their first game implementing the triple option.

Oh great more triple option. Can't wait for the first play of the game to be a run up the gut for 35 yards that baffles our lbs and safeties whiff on the tackle.

It's not a standard triple option look though, as they run almost all of their stuff out of the Pistol formation.

We set up pretty well to defend the option with Ejiofor and Dunn on the end. Yarbury and Banks are solid in the middle as well. Not to mention Lee at LB to help out.

It's not a standard triple option look though, as they run almost all of their stuff out of the Pistol formation.

We set up pretty well to defend the option with Ejiofor and Dunn on the end. Yarbury and Banks are solid in the middle as well. Not to mention Lee at LB to help out.

Is it the same crap option stuff we tried to run with Price a few years ago? That was awful.

Oh great more triple option. Can't wait for the first play of the game to be a run up the gut for 35 yards that baffles our lbs and safeties whiff on the tackle.

The little commentary I've seen on Tulane this year doesn't make it plain that we'll see triple option necessarily. When Fritz went to Ga.So., it was already a strong triple option team which didn't need any conversion. At Tulane, there are no real triple option personnel in place so you can't assume it will be the same as Ga.So. Which is to say that it may be an offense more like Grobe's 1st year at Wake perhaps. But who really knows...

Is it the same crap option stuff we tried to run with Price a few years ago? That was awful.

I assume it's better than that because Fritz has excelled everywhere he has been with it.

Tulane has 2 pretty good running backs and will alternate those two with a "B" group (so each set alternate). I'm guessing they will run it 70-80% of the plays assuming they are still in the game just due to their personnel. They have 3 QB's on the roster and none of them have ever thrown a pass in a collegiate game. They have combined for 1 snap.

I am less concerned about stopping their offense, and more concerned that Tanzel Smart is going to cause lots of problems in the Deacs backfield.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/06/05/2017-nfl-draft-wake-up-call-tulane-dt-tanzel-smart/

Yes, Tulane's one strength is it's defense upfront. That will be a legit test for an o-line, that has not passed many (any) tests over the last few years. Tulane's pass D was poor last year. Would think Seringue will have a big game.

Yes, Tulane's one strength is it's defense upfront. That will be a legit test for an o-line, that has not passed many (any) tests over the last few years. Tulane's pass D was poor last year. Would think Seringue will have a big game.

That's the difference in opening up with a low rated FBS team and an average FCS team. Where a team like Elon might have a couple of guys that could play at the FBS level, Tulane even in a bad year has a lot more FBS level talent. We should win, it would be a huge disappointment to lose, but it's a lot more of a dangerous opponent than a team like Elon last year. I think that's a good thing, if we can go out there and win impressively, than it might mean a little something. Duke for instance can beat NC Central 60-0 and it still won't mean a thing really.

Agree completely- I think this is a perfect team to open up with- our guys will learn a little more from the opposition- and you can play Tulane with a little more pride than teams like Elon. It will help us more to plat them going to Duke next week. If we lose we learn a lot about our program as well.

Tulane played two ACC teams last year and lost a combined 102-17. That's with a quarterback who is now transferred to Nebraska, and admittedly a younger defense who struggled immensely.

I think we cover the spread and win it something like 37-14 or so.

FWIW:

The total on the game is 43. It opened at 47 and was immediately bet down to 43. The line has stayed at 17 even though 68% of the bets have been placed on Tulane. This means that those that influence the line like WF.

With a total at 43 and the line at 17, Vegas is projecting a 30-13 final.

Back