• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Safety Zach Ranson committed to Wake

6'3" 210
Plays safety and WR for St Pius X in Atlanta.
I know I probably shouldn't make this comparison, but he reminds me of Jessie Bates.
Welcome Zach.

6'3" 210
I know I probably shouldn't make this comparison, but he reminds me of Jessie Bates.
Welcome Zach.

Pretty good size for a current HS Junior.

Welcome!

Regarding Brendon Clark, I would think come September if Clark is still a Wake lock, Clawson may be much more willing to play Hartman next year to potentially put two years of eligibility between the two ... Of course, depends on a lot of things, including injuries at the position.

Much of that depends on Bowers.

Regarding Brendon Clark, I would think come September if Clark is still a Wake lock, Clawson may be much more willing to play Hartman next year to potentially put two years of eligibility between the two ... Of course, depends on a lot of things, including injuries at the position.

Who plays at QB is going to be dependent on how well everyone plays. The starting job is obviously Hinton's to lose. He has the experience and his legs put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. However if his reads in the RPO are suboptimal and his short throws continue to be an adventure, then if one of the other guys is looking good in practice, he may get a start. The rules of the game today really favor the passing game. If you want to win, you better be good at completing multiple different kinds of passes. That is why, IMHO, triple option attacks today have limited ceiling.

6'3" 210
Welcome Zach.

Dude is big for a hs safety. He seems more like a Strnad

Dude is big for a hs safety. He seems more like a Strnad

It will be interesting to see how much more he grows. He may still be growing taller. He may well be able to carry some more good weight.

I for one would be perfectly happy with a strong strong safety in the 6-3/225 range.

I think that would be great, but how many people on the planet can cover a WR at that size? I hope this guy can, because that would be awesome!

I see Hines just came back from visiting Oregon. Wake Forest farm team for the big dogs in football now.

I’m almost certain clawson said Hartman already surpassed Bowers on the depth chart

Yeah. But did Hartman surpass Bowers enough for Clawson to insert Hartman in a 4th quarter of a midseason game and pull his redshirt? I think Clawson would insert Bowers in a pinch if Hinton and Newman went down. Now if they were out long term, he'd probably go with Hartman.

Yeah. But did Hartman surpass Bowers enough for Clawson to insert Hartman in a 4th quarter of a midseason game and pull his redshirt? I think Clawson would insert Bowers in a pinch if Hinton and Newman went down. Now if they were out long term, he'd probably go with Hartman.

This is pretty speculative for now. Summer will tell the tale about how the second and third QB spots shake out. I would guess the preference is to keep the redshirt on Hartman, but the play of the three in summer practices will dictate whether or not that happens.

I for one would be perfectly happy with a strong strong safety in the 6-3/225 range.

This one is better.

9bdn.gif

This is pretty speculative for now. Summer will tell the tale about how the second and third QB spots shake out. I would guess the preference is to keep the redshirt on Hartman, but the play of the three in summer practices will dictate whether or not that happens.

These are all good 'problems' or options to have.
It appears our QB depth is shaping up to be as strong as it's ever been.

Actually, all of our skill positions are looking good. RB and WR are strong too.

Who plays at QB is going to be dependent on how well everyone plays. The starting job is obviously Hinton's to lose. He has the experience and his legs put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. However if his reads in the RPO are suboptimal and his short throws continue to be an adventure, then if one of the other guys is looking good in practice, he may get a start. The rules of the game today really favor the passing game. If you want to win, you better be good at completing multiple different kinds of passes. That is why, IMHO, triple option attacks today have limited ceiling.

Good analysis ;-)

I have been very very high on Hinton on here, but I get your point. I just think that if Hinton gets hurt within the first 3 or 4 games of the season, Clark is still a lock, and Hartman has moved past Bowers and is in a head-to-head with Newman, Clawson may not hesitate to throw Hartman out there as opposed to saving his eligibility year.

Back