• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Looks like we are on commit watch this morning.

My guess would be K/P Ivan Mora (Dalton, GA). He was recently offered by Wake. Also has recent offers from Georgia State and Austin Peay. Same high school as Nate Mays.

Would love to see it be WR Donavon Greene from Mount Airy, but not sure how likely that is or isn't at this point.

Good news. I sent our coaches info about Mora about a month ago. He's an excellent kicker/punter and follows his 2 older brothers as top notch soccer players/football kickers.
In related news news, earlier this week I posted on the WFU Soccer thread that Wake commit Omar Hernandez was named the Gatorade player of the year. He's a rising senior. We have a good pipeline developing here.

Last edited:
We should now be set with kickers for the next 4-5 years.

Is Kohl's Kicking the most reliable source for kicker evals or is it the traditional 247/Rivals evals like other positions.

Other way around I think DOD.

Clawson may have been uncomfortable going with a true frosh PK and really wary of having Maggio do both. My only question is has the Army officer done any extensive practice kicking since getting his commission 5 years ago from West Point ? Possible he did an audition for Clawson I guess.
Didn't Maggio take time off at the beginning of last season to rest his leg? I seem to recall him doing triple kicking duty for a while and then doing nothing while he recovered.

I wonder how last year's signee looked in spring ball. I think his name is sciba.

Clark could use the kid Bama stole from us as an example.
No doubt stealing players plays a part but Clark has to participate in it. Not sure why Clark doesn’t trust his initial pop quiz style first answer. At WF he is going to definitely get the chance to make all the difference in the world. At Clemson, he gets a remote chance and really not much chance at all. But maybe everything breaks his way at Clemson and he wins a national as QB.

I wonder how last year's signee looked in spring ball. I think his name is sciba.

The staff must be uneasy about him to be taking Mora and bringing in 2 grad transfers. Mora’s hudle and kicking camp tapes look very good. His stats from HS and camp are very good as well. He has a strong leg on kickoffs.

Do you all read anything I write???

The first segment in this Spring Superlatives segment deals with kicking and was first published in early May. I anticipated a grad transfer (tho not two). Also, I wrote TODAY about what spot Mora is set to take. I'd love everyone to subscribe, but about half of what I write is free. Follow on Twitter and keep tabs on the site and you'll have a lot more information instead of just guessing on here.

Much love!

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...ootball-Spring-Superlative-Series--119023265/

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...ra-commits-to-Wake-Forest-Football-119226460/

The timing with Mora would make him a RS freshman the fall after Maggio graduates. He would enter Wake Fall of 2019.

I think the 2019 QB decision is really interesting. Missing out on Taylor Powell and now Brendon Clark makes things interesting. For example, looking out towards the 2021 season (when a 2019 QB would be a redshirt sophomore) we would have only Hartman and Bowers. As much as I like Hartman (and I’m really excited about the guy) I do worry about whether with his build he will be injury-prone. Plus, he has far from proven himself at the college level.

So on paper the 2019 decision looks like a big one and yet…no offers have been made since Clark decommitted. Meanwhile, some of the remaining QB’s have been committing elsewhere (Vandy settled its QB spot yesterday).

Here are some scenarios that I’ve considered:

#1 – Coach R is waiting to see all of the candidates perform at camp before making any offers. This is probably the most likely scenario. I saw that a late July camp has been added. That camp session may have been added specifically to see more QBs.

#2 – A 2019 QB offer has been made, but it’s been kept hush-hush. I doubt this. Not sure why. Offering a QB and then telling him he has to be quiet about it seems like amateur hour.

#3 – With the normal 2019 QB cycle largely wrapped up, perhaps Coach R is thinking about holding the scholarship until after the season to see what QBs emerge based on big senior seasons. QB recruiting in December and January is interesting. Usually a few QBs emerge on the national scene during their senior year and not many programs can pursue them because their QB spots are tied up.

#4 – Wake isn’t going to take a 2019 QB. Clawson has said before that he wants to carry 4 QBs every year. That’s the right number in his mind. If Hinton returns for a fifth year (?), Clawson already has 4 for both 2019 and 2020. If somehow, the decision is between taking a 2019 QB or a 2020 QB, I’d take a 2020 given how many 2019s are already off the board. Also, keep in mind that the ever expanding grad transfer QB market makes it less of a risky proposition to operate with fewer 4-year scholarship QBs. Grad transfers have become everyone’s Plan B.

Back