• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Sounds like a smart move by Yabo Dabo, Bubble. We aren't likely to break their 9-0 streak against us anytime soon.

I am going to float a conspiracy theory ... Swinney's goal in recruiting Clark and getting him to visit was more about shaking him loose from Wake than getting him to come to Clemson. Anybody buy that? There really isn't a logical place for him on the Clemson roster, and now it looks like he won't be going to a "lesser" but on the rise team that is in his division. Already a recruiting win for Clemson.

Used to be done a lot more when scholarship numbers were higher (105 in football). Big boys would sign players just so somebody else couldn't have them.

Used to be done a lot more when scholarship numbers were higher (105 in football). Big boys would sign players just so somebody else couldn't have them.

No doubt stealing players plays a part but Clark has to participate in it. Not sure why Clark doesn’t trust his initial pop quiz style first answer. At WF he is going to definitely get the chance to make all the difference in the world. At Clemson, he gets a remote chance and really not much chance at all. But maybe everything breaks his way at Clemson and he wins a national as QB.

I wonder how many QB prospects out there think they're 18 months away from being the next Tua. I wonder if the top programs are selling tell kids that it doesn't matter who they have to sit behind. They could get their chance to lead Big Time U in the CFP Championship Game.

I also wonder whether he watched QB1 and thought to himself, FUCK, they got two QBs in a row on that show and this Hartmann kid's gonna be the governor of North Carolina before I get to play. The fact that Hartmann in particular has been eating it up since Clark signed - graduated early, got to play in the Spring game, played well, already considered in the running for backup QB, etc... may have hurt as well.

I wonder how many QB prospects out there think they're 18 months away from being the next Tua. I wonder if the top programs are selling tell kids that it doesn't matter who they have to sit behind. They could get their chance to lead Big Time U in the CFP Championship Game.

I'm sure all these QBs have a very high confidence level. They have to.
Also, they've excelled in HS, their coaches tell them they're good, their teammates tell them they're good, their friends and family tell them they're good. So when college recruiters also tell them they're good and they can continue their success at Big U, they believe it.
Unfortunately, at the age of 17 or 18, they don't have the experience for a rational reality check of which options may be real and best for them.

Looks like we are on commit watch this morning.

My guess would be K/P Ivan Mora (Dalton, GA). He was recently offered by Wake. Also has recent offers from Georgia State and Austin Peay. Same high school as Nate Mays.

Would love to see it be WR Donavon Greene from Mount Airy, but not sure how likely that is or isn't at this point.

I am going to float a conspiracy theory ... Swinney's goal in recruiting Clark and getting him to visit was more about shaking him loose from Wake than getting him to come to Clemson. Anybody buy that? There really isn't a logical place for him on the Clemson roster, and now it looks like he won't be going to a "lesser" but on the rise team that is in his division. Already a recruiting win for Clemson.

Football scholarships are just too valuable to do that, especially at the high level that Clemson is recruiting. That "stolen" recruit who will likely never play could easily be replaced with another 4 star or high-upside project 3 star at a position of need.

Looks like we are on commit watch this morning.

My guess would be K/P Ivan Mora (Dalton, GA). He was recently offered by Wake. Also has recent offers from Georgia State and Austin Peay. Same high school as Nate Mays.

Would love to see it be WR Donavon Greene from Mount Airy, but not sure how likely that is or isn't at this point.

Thanks, keep us in the loop please.

I also wonder whether he watched QB1 and thought to himself, FUCK, they got two QBs in a row on that show and this Hartmann kid's gonna be the governor of North Carolina before I get to play. The fact that Hartmann in particular has been eating it up since Clark signed - graduated early, got to play in the Spring game, played well, already considered in the running for backup QB, etc... may have hurt as well.

Uhhh - Clemson has the number one QB in the 2018 class, who also graduated early, played in their spring game, and is in a QB battle to be the starter. Sounds like the kid is the real deal.

And a 5* QB who was a top 20 player in the nation in the 2017 who committed early then switched to Clemson and enrolled early just transferred.

When ECU is good they have just as good of a game day atmosphere. Also, total State move to dismiss Wake's academics as the reason you guys are pulling NC recruits a year after we beat you with one of the best team State has fielded in the past 20 years. OK....

lighten up Francis. It reads like a pretty honest assessment to me.

I posted it on 247, if we land Goodson and Greene our class shoots up to 6th in the ACC and 30th nationally. I think Goodson will end up elsewhere but I hope I'm wrong.

I hereby apologize for any hurt butts.
hold-onto-your-butts.gif

Back