• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I’m hoping for plenty of fun before and after signing day.

Assuming most of these commitments hold up, this recent batch of recruits are the type we should be aiming for. You might call me Captain Obvious, but I've been saying this for decades and meeting resistance. We can now see that with a little success and a coach/staff that is "into the game", it *is* possible at Wake Forest. It just takes an upward trajectory, the will to do it, and the right sales pitch. Let's hope we continue building on this success and that our administration supports this direction and doesn't take this success as a sign they need to "crack down".

Assuming most of these commitments hold up, this recent batch of recruits are the type we should be aiming for. You might call me Captain Obvious, but I've been saying this for decades and meeting resistance. We can now see that with a little success and a coach/staff that is "into the game", it *is* possible at Wake Forest. It just takes an upward trajectory, the will to do it, and the right sales pitch. Let's hope we continue building on this success and that our administration supports this direction and doesn't take this success as a sign they need to "crack down".

My thoughts exactly. Completely agree.

Agree with this and I find it pretty telling that almost every recent commit has mentioned something similar - that WF provides them high level football with an avenue to success after leaving, whether that is into the NFL or the business world. It's obviously something that Clawson is hammering home and it seems like it is pretty effective.

Either that or it's just that every recruit in the nation is prone to using similar platitudinous, empty worded language when discussing their commitments. I choose to believe it is the former.

Agree with this and I find it pretty telling that almost every recent commit has mentioned something similar - that WF provides them high level football with an avenue to success after leaving, whether that is into the NFL or the business world. It's obviously something that Clawson is hammering home and it seems like it is pretty effective.

Either that or it's just that every recruit in the nation is prone to using similar platitudinous, empty worded language when discussing their commitments. I choose to believe it is the former.

It's the former.
For the most part, we really do recruit a different (i.e. Higher character, maturity) type of player than much of our competitors. Our staff has done a good job getting them to understand the 'big picture' of life.....during and after their playing days and the recruits are getting it.
Also, it seems like parents/family are pretty involved in our recruiting process. How can parents not like Claw & Co?

I suspect that the administration has no problem with athletic success. It does have a problem with student-athletes who care too little about the student part.

Clawson and company seem to have done a good job finding competitive athletes who also understand the value of an education. Football is not a 40 year career.

Cute, as is your wont. But no, people have been resisting the argument that we have the ability to obtain highly ranked recruits and that we should expect to.
I disagree. people understand that you need to win and then hopefully parlay that into better recruiting. grobe seemed to do that for one year and then it fell off and he was on the hot seat not long after that. improved recruiting is a gradual process.

I think the common opinion has been that we need to pursue the best players we can and as we have more on-field success, we will have more success in recruiting better players. That seems to be exactly what is happening. If you are stating you feel the common opinion here differs from yours, then I think you are admitting to being wrong based on current trend.

Poster callouts are fun!

I, for one, am not satisfied by the lack of hat cermonies we're seeing. SMDH.

Back