• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

This incoming group will have high expectations (by Wake Forest standards). I'm sure Clawson is ready to help make sure they meet them.

I thought the pass when he avoided the rush and was near the sideline and hurled it 40+ yards was impressive. It might have been across the body but it was a wow watching it.

According to reports, VaTech had him in for a visit. That us significant interest. Probably at least preferred walk-on. He chose Wake over whatever VaTech offered.

I would guess that the large majority of players given a visit would be at least preferred walk-on level, if not higher. So congrats to Clawson and staff for winning that battle.

And welcome Leo Kelly.

I can definitely see him having a PWO offer from VT - I just thought you were referencing he had an offer. Not being argumentative just giving my POV.

He looks like the kind of kid that ends up at North Dakota, Wyoming or some random FCS school and after 3 years of college coaching and weightlifting, he absolutely blows up and breaks all the school records and finds himself on Kiper's big board and nobody has ever heard of him.

I'm not saying that will happen, but he is a big kid with a pretty good arm. Not bad for a walk on.

He looks like the kind of kid that ends up at North Dakota, Wyoming or some random FCS school and after 3 years of college coaching and weightlifting, he absolutely blows up and breaks all the school records and finds himself on Kiper's big board and nobody has ever heard of him.

I'm not saying that will happen, but he is a big kid with a pretty good arm. Not bad for a walk on.

If he had that kind of talent, Clawson would play him.

Inconsistent performance at the Shrine Bowl mainly. Couple that with probably being ranked a little too highly given how raw he is and a drop out of the top 250 or so made sense.

Groulx dominated at all events he was at, he still makes no sense to me dropping in rankings.

My observation was that Donny came out of the gates fast at the Shrine Bowl. But no matter how we cut it..he was on the team as an alternate and the first from Mt Airy in 35 years. These games have their pecking orders amongst schools. Greene jumped out in the first practices and scouts saw him gain easier separation than any of the other WR’s on the field.His natural athleticism was on display but when the game came around he hardly saw a play much less a look.

Anyway..a most impressive year for WF when after the 2nd day of practice 3 WF signees were among the top 6 Offensive players on the field and D. Greene was 4th on the list with Sam Howell at the top..

This level of Wake recruit in the home state has never been seen - not close - in my time following the Deacs. We used to get excited by a top 25 signee or a real jewel (and he was) like Chris Degeare at #13.

Here we have 3 prospects who WF outdueled heavyweight competition - Wisconsin (Nolan), Notre Dame (Greene),and Miami (Elmonus). Tremendous strides lads..Here is the Day 2 2018 Shrine Bowl evaluation :

2. WR Nolan Groulx, Cornelius (N.C.) Hough- The Wake Forest commitment was a little tight to start the day but settled down and was Howell’s favorite target in 7-on-7 and team drills. Groulx showed a high energy level on every snap and showed an ability to adjust in traffic while working across the middle.

3. WR Donavon Greene, Mount Airy (N.C.)- Greene is still developing polish as a wide receiver, but impressed with his natural physical tools. The Top247 Wake Forest pledge has a very good build for the position with long arms, big hands in addition to standing out from a quickness and movement perspective.

4. WR Khafre Brown, Charlotte (N.C.) West Mecklenburg- Similar to Greene, Tuesday presented us with the first chance to see Brown run at full speed after three indoor practices. The four-star North Carolina pledge flashed easy pace, with his downfield speed making it difficult for Howell to overthrow him on vertical routes. Brown also showed natural ball skills when targeted.

5. OT CJ Elmonus, Asheville (N.C.) AC Reynolds- Tuesday was Elmonus’ first day of action as he was a late arrival due to weather. The 6-foot-7, 270-pounder is a developmental prospect with a massive frame and plus movement skills. He's the tallest player on the North Carolina squad by a fair margin. While Elmonus still is adding strength and adjusting to the size and speed of increased competition, the Wake Forest commitment oozes long term upside.

Right. He had an inconsistent Shrine Bowl. Looked great that day and was a no show other days and during the game. I don’t think it’s some WF conspericey. He’s a great prospect.

How many plays did Greene get on the field in the Shrine Bowl?

Nobody is talking about Wake conspiracy. What ‘we’ are talking about is the political nature of these All Star games and the fked sideways ranking systems that go along for the ride. There is a pecking order - and coaches who send players every year. A late add alternate from nobody-Mt Airy is not going to get targeted ahead of Charlotte area stars or a kid from Amos Hough (loaded).

Further,concerning the Shrine Bowl — no way in hell Zacch Pickens is the D mvp of that game— NC ran Zonovan Knight right at him. He is headed to SC

Shamar McCollum was the best player on the field that day for SC..he was the Def MVP and it was not all that close.

For accuracy you’d think a 2018 tilt would take care with the stats — McCollum blocked 2 punts in the game,not 1. He was all over the field and in on nearly every play. Very impressed with this guy. If Will Smart has a better motor (Dave C) then I want to see it.

You’ll get an education on this from Mr Football, Willie Mack Brown (the original “state championship” and 5 hour radius guy). Willie considers the NC in the Shrine Bowl is merely an abbreviation of UNC.

Lectro has it figured. While Stars and All Star games have great value, politics and money are a heavy factor- such is the nature of the recruiting business- a lot of people looking out for themselves, their professional and business interests- they have a lot invested in these kids and the system. Not quite AAU basketball but not much different.

Why was a first team all-state and highly regarded player (Greene) initially left off of the Shrine Bowl team? Politics. He got added late because MA lost in the state semi-finals. He became available to play but had sustained a concussion (which prevented him from playing in the semi-final game) and likely was still feeling the effects of the concussion during Shrine Bowl week. What else could explain his lack of playing time after an impressive week of practice?

Lots of new 2020 offers going out after this weekend's Junior Day. Looks like we had some really impressive, high four-star prospects as well.

Why was a first team all-state and highly regarded player (Greene) initially left off of the Shrine Bowl team? Politics. He got added late because MA lost in the state semi-finals. He became available to play but had sustained a concussion (which prevented him from playing in the semi-final game) and likely was still feeling the effects of the concussion during Shrine Bowl week. What else could explain his lack of playing time after an impressive week of practice?

*Quarterfinals

MA didn’t make the semifinals

I watched the entire Shrine Bowl, and Lectro is absolutely correct about McCollum. He was all over the field, and in on nearly every play. Pickens being named defensive MVP was a joke, and clearly meant as a way of rewarding the home state kid for choosing South Carolina instead of Alabama.

McCollum is going to be really good as a Deacon.

I watched the entire Shrine Bowl, and Lectro is absolutely correct about McCollum. He was all over the field, and in on nearly every play. Pickens being named defensive MVP was a joke, and clearly meant as a way of rewarding the home state kid for choosing South Carolina instead of Alabama.

McCollum is going to be really good as a Deacon.

Agree 100%

Why was Greene playing in an exhibition game if he was still feeling the effects of a concussion ?

Why was he practicing if he was still feeling the effects?

Most of these kids are only a week or two removed from playoff games, so I doubt there's much contact involved with Shrine Bowl practices. It's one thing to get hurt in the actual game, but if a elite player was to ever have a season or career-threatening contact injury in a Shrine Bowl practice (practice? we talkin' 'bout PRACTICE?!) I could see some of them starting to opt out of participating. I could be totally wrong, but guessing that most players and in particular Greene were running around in shoulder pads and shorts with minimal contact.

Back