• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I don’t know if it changes any bodies mind but when Kate visited Wake his 247 page said 100% UNC so
His decision was not shocking or should not have been. We tried, failed and moved on. That’s recruiting.

If Clawson was able to reel in everyone he wanted he would likely not still be coaching at WF. What is remarkable is that he wins against in state rivals while often losing head-on-head recruiting battles.

Just compare Clawson recruiting versus Grobe "Golly-jee" recruiting. Reflect on that for a minute. We are worlds better. We have a coach with assistants who can identify talent, we have a coach who sells our strengths, we have many fewer wasted schollies than Grobe, and we have had many, many fewer knotheads.

Thus isn’t fair to grobes recruiting except toward the end. He/his staff were not bad recruiters.

I am never sure why the pre-Orange bowl and post-Orange Bowl Grobe is so hard to figure out. After he flirted openly with any opening, and with the huge contract he quit on us and retired in place.

Thus isn’t fair to grobes recruiting except toward the end. He/his staff were not bad recruiters.

I have a different viewpoint. They did great with the Fresh Deacs, but the recruiting the last half of his tenure was awful. Struggled mightily on the offense side with Lobobozo, particularly at QB, and the DL was spotty.

Right. It was harder to find diamonds in the rough after YouTube and social media made it easy for players to promote themselves.

Grobe had his best recruiting class after the 2007-8 season with all those nease boys and the defensive tackle with the Bama offer and it kind of flopped

I have a different viewpoint. They did great with the Fresh Deacs, but the recruiting the last half of his tenure was awful. Struggled mightily on the offense side with Lobobozo, particularly at QB, and the DL was spotty.

We also had a ton of misses in the Jax area (bolles school? or nease?). Those HS FB programs were really advanced, and we got already developed football players that were close to their ceiling... and the ceiling was not ACC level.

We also had a ton of misses in the Jax area (bolles school? or nease?). Those HS FB programs were really advanced, and we got already developed football players that were close to their ceiling... and the ceiling was not ACC level.

Wake hasn't and isn't recruiting large numbers of four and five star guys. Wake needs to recruit 2 and 3 star guys who have the potential to add about 1/2 star per year ny adding size, strength and skills.

As a thought exercise, where would the guys who just completed their eligibility be rated and ranked if they were just graduating from HS this spring?

For instance, Phil Haynes would probably be a borderline five star recruit.

Greg Dortch would still have about the same eval. Great playmaker and elusive. Not very tall and not great top end speed. 3 star.

Wake hasn't and isn't recruiting large numbers of four and five star guys. Wake needs to recruit 2 and 3 star guys who have the potential to add about 1/2 star per year ny adding size, strength and skills.

As a thought exercise, where would the guys who just completed their eligibility be rated and ranked if they were just graduating from HS this spring?

For instance, Phil Haynes would probably be a borderline five star recruit.

Greg Dortch would still have about the same eval. Great playmaker and elusive. Not very tall and not great top end speed. 3 star.

giphy.gif

Haynes would be a 4*. There are only about 30 5* players per class.

It's not just the rating system, we need guys who can cut it in the class room too. How many of those who leave, do so because of grades. Claw never gives a reason (good for him) for them leaving. This system will work when we have 2-3 years to develop them into players.

It's not just the rating system, we need guys who can cut it in the class room too. How many of those who leave, do so because of grades. Claw never gives a reason (good for him) for them leaving. This system will work when we have 2-3 years to develop them into players.

If Clawson DID NOT miss on some potentials I’d be really worried. I’m certain the sky is not falling too.
WF is a developmental program not a “4 star, let’s see how things shake out” program. There are a few failures among those 4 stars from time to time as well. We’re good and we sometimes realize it.

Clawson’s new deal should further recruiting momentum.

I knew a coach at a PAC-12 school (not Stanford). They would tell the freshmen to enroll in "General studies". They would stay eligible, play 4 years, and get a "certificate of attendance". Some would be real students and get real degrees.

Tackle prospect Jimmy Christ rose on the 3rd day of the week and committed to UVA. His disciples in Charlottesville were excited to see that their savior at Offensive Line has come. While he did not liken his recruitment process to 40 days wandering in the desert, I am sure Mr. Christ is happy to be sat at the right hand of the quarterback in the film room.

Tackle prospect Jimmy Christ rose on the 3rd day of the week and committed to UVA. His disciples in Charlottesville were excited to see that their savior at Offensive Line has come. While he did not liken his recruitment process to 40 days wandering in the desert, I am sure Mr. Christ is happy to be sat at the right hand of the quarterback in the film room.

Good that he is seated at the right of the QB, for that spot he can judge "the quick and the dead".

Back