• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Alston is a preferred walk on

This is great news! Welcome, Jarrett.

Getting some decent preferred walk-ons helps with depth, practice and special teams. Sometimes these guys are late bloomers and can become contributors as they mature. Jack Freudenthal is the current poster boy for this.

This is great news! Welcome, Jarrett.

Getting some decent preferred walk-ons helps with depth, practice and special teams. Sometimes these guys are late bloomers and can become contributors as they mature. Jack Freudenthal is the current poster boy for this.

Alston has a lot of 'blooming' to do.
He's listed on rivals as 5' 4" 134 lbs.

MaxPreps says he's 5'8". Maybe he can defend guys like Dortch.

Ahmani Marshall from East Forsyth is committing June 1st. Two crystal balls from VT writers to wake in the recent days.

ETA: June 1

Last edited:
He fast

Ahmani Marshall left the meet and traveled to Morgan State University to compete in the USATF National Junior Olympics Track & Field Championships, where he finished in sixth in the 200m dash and had the 11th best time in the 100m dash.

I have to give props to anybody who is willing to spend the money to attend Wake and then add football team activities to his load.

This particular person may never play a down. But if he is a preferred walk-on, Clawson and staff saw something in him that he could contribute to the team. We may never see him in games. Guys willing to contribute in this way are important. The more Wake can get, the better.

Remember, walk-ons were starting at linebacker for multiple games this past season.

I have to give props to anybody who is willing to spend the money to attend Wake and then add football team activities to his load.

This particular person may never play a down. But if he is a preferred walk-on, Clawson and staff saw something in him that he could contribute to the team. We may never see him in games. Guys willing to contribute in this way are important. The more Wake can get, the better.

Remember, walk-ons were starting at linebacker for multiple games this past season.

Which linebackers? Strnad, Masterson, DJ Taylor, Smenda, Kemp and Ja'Cquez Williams are all scholarship guys.

Think you're thinking of Grant Dawson, who was a preferred walk-on and was awarded a scholarship sometime around his third spring in the program, started in 2017.

Which linebackers? Strnad, Masterson, DJ Taylor, Smenda, Kemp and Ja'Cquez Williams are all scholarship guys.

Think you're thinking of Grant Dawson, who was a preferred walk-on and was awarded a scholarship sometime around his third spring in the program, started in 2017.

Correct.
Grant Dawson was a walk on. Then became a starter. Then received a scholarship. Then became one of the team captains. Great story of dedication and perseverance.

Don't confuse DBlue with facts. He has his history. agree wholeheartedly that Pfd Walkons can help this type of team so much.

To be fair, our whole team could be preferred walk-ons at some schools.

Nah, Bama might let some of our guys walk on.

Then say that. Initial post blows/disrespectful. BTW, we have 2 4star recruits in this class.

If you look at Bama commits in 2020, you'll see that they sign 3star recruits. Likely get upgraded now that they committed to Bama, but 3star in football a year out are a different animal than 3stars in hoops IMO.

I don't think you know dick of what you speak. Happy to see you prove otherwise. Don't expect it.

Then say that. Initial post blows/disrespectful. BTW, we have 2 4star recruits in this class.

If you look at Bama commits in 2020, you'll see that they sign 3star recruits. Likely get upgraded now that they committed to Bama, but 3star in football a year out are a different animal than 3stars in hoops IMO.

I don't think you know dick of what you speak. Happy to see you prove otherwise. Don't expect it.

Biff is basically TheReff, though he doesn't realize it and would never admit it. He's a fan of an SEC school, which he thinks is far superior to Wake and ACC football teams (even though the ACC has won 3 of the previous 6 national championships).

Biff is basically TheReff, though he doesn't realize it and would never admit it. He's a fan of an SEC school, which he thinks is far superior to Wake and ACC football teams (even though the ACC has won 3 of the previous 6 national championships).

Appears no one else is allowed an opinion. The Great and powerful Oz has spoken.

Did you see Wake's 2018 game against Clemson ? It was the singlemost uncompetitive football game I've ever seen between ACC opponents, but I didn't watch Clemson beat Louisville 77-16. What's the point in thumping one's chest about the best team in the conference if you can't even stay on the field with them ?

Are we proud that UNC-CH made the Sweet Sixteen too since they beat us by 40 ?

Did you see Wake's 2018 game against Clemson ? It was the singlemost uncompetitive football game I've ever seen between ACC opponents, but I didn't watch Clemson beat Louisville 77-16. What's the point in thumping one's chest about the best team in the conference if you can't even stay on the field with them ?

Are we proud that UNC-CH made the Sweet Sixteen too since they beat us by 40 ?

You mean what SEC teams have been doing for over a decade with Alabama?

Back