• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Nice write up on 247 for one of our 2021 targets QB Santino Marcucci:

Jupiter (Fla.) The Benjamin School QB Santino Marucci

- Quarterback is a production business and few in the state, regardless of class, are firing on all cylinders like the junior has been out of the gates. A good athlete who can make plays in the pocket or on the move, he has proved accurate and hasn't been afraid to push the ball downfield with success. He has helped his team to an undefeated mark so far in 2019, showing more diverse releases with constant zip on the football. Decisive and quick through progressions, Marucci is now the No. 1 pro-style passer in the state and could challenge for top prospect at the position before all is said and done. He has combined for 12 touchdowns in about eight quarters of action as a junior. A handful of programs have offered Marucci, including Kentucky, Wake Forest and Nebraska.

Benjamin is a nice, private high school in northern Palm Beach county. Kid would be easily acclimated to Wake, but not sure about the level of competition He's not playing the powerhouse programs down there like Palm Beach Lakes, Atlantic, etc. Sounds like a nice player though.

Sign him up! The key information in the first post is that he is evaluated as the #1 pro style quarterback and near the top overall QB in Florida. In Florida, he gets plenty of eyes evaluating him as a player at that level. That limits the "weak competition" argument.

Sounds like he has several positives that would make him a good fit for Wake's offense: accuracy, quick and decisive reads, ability to throw on the run. All those characteristics are a great fit for the RPO Wake runs.

Big group coming tomorrow-- check out Les at 247 Sports for a list of all that will be here

I see from twitter Les is watching Shane Whitter play tonight and just realized 247 has him as the #325 player in the country and 4 stars. Looks like a beast.

Cowell the 4* we from East Forsyth was at the game. Would be a great pick up but seems like a hole lean. Hope Marshall can get him to us.

Two in-state losses might help.

Not sure how lomg it will take but I suspect it will be 2 years at most that kids figure out Mack is a bunch of hot air and a mere figurehead and the Holes will continue to wallow in mediocrity at best as they just aren’t a well coached team.

Recruits were watching a very impressive well oiled machine against Elon. I’m sure they were favorably impressed by the WF Football program.

Our crowd was weak, Can't help recruiting.

True. It was very hot sitting in the sun; the Elon crowd was smaller that I expected; the good student turn-out thinned out considerably after the 1st quarter.
But, my Mrs. had to step out of the heat and our cramped seat to go to the concourse for a break. There she met and had a good conversation with the mother of a DC player, 6'6" jr in high school, good student, visiting today and mentioned a number of high profile schools they visited, Duke, UNC, NCSU, UVA and an Ivey. She loved Wake, beautiful campus, and thought very highly of the WF recruiter contact that had visited them.
So,not all bad ... and a great win.

Anyone know where we stand with Shamar McCollum? Top 3?

IIRC, Les said a few days ago, both sides had mutually agreed to move on.

True. It was very hot sitting in the sun; the Elon crowd was smaller that I expected; the good student turn-out thinned out considerably after the 1st quarter.
But, my Mrs. had to step out of the heat and our cramped seat to go to the concourse for a break. There she met and had a good conversation with the mother of a DC player, 6'6" jr in high school, good student, visiting today and mentioned a number of high profile schools they visited, Duke, UNC, NCSU, UVA and an Ivey. She loved Wake, beautiful campus, and thought very highly of the WF recruiter contact that had visited them.
So,not all bad ... and a great win.

I hope/assume your wife slipped the mom some $$$$!

Would love to see a couple of stud ol and a big dt to round out our recruiting. Clawson is killing it with the skill positions.

I'm starting to come around on this staff's model for OL and DL recruitment. I would definitely love ready-made DTs. But their hit-rate on both lines has been impressive. I remember feeling ho-hum about the 2017 OL class (Tom, Rappleyea, Maginn, Nya, and Clapp). The highest rated was Tom at .82 and the #154 prospect at his position. But we've gotten solid contributions from 3/5 and all are on the 2-deep. On DL, they've clearly ID'd guys like Bothroyd who can bulk up and move inside. It's working so far with him, and I think we'll see a few guys next year do the same (J. Williams, Smart).

If the staff can continue to find undersized, athletic guys who can contribute after 3 years in the weight room, I'm all for it.

Sign him up! The key information in the first post is that he is evaluated as the #1 pro style quarterback and near the top overall QB in Florida. In Florida, he gets plenty of eyes evaluating him as a player at that level. That limits the "weak competition" argument.

Sounds like he has several positives that would make him a good fit for Wake's offense: accuracy, quick and decisive reads, ability to throw on the run. All those characteristics are a great fit for the RPO Wake runs.

This kid is blowing up. Clawson was on him early -- I'm pretty sure he was here for Junior Day back in the Spring. Since then he added the Nebraska offer and I was worried he'd move out of our reach. Glad he's still got Wake in the game. I'd really like to get either him or Jacobi Myers at QB.

Also, its interesting that this is the latest in the recruiting cycle that we've been without a QB recruit under Clawson. Usually, we've had our QB by July, 18 months before signing day. Hartman and Clark were in July, Bowers in May, Newman in April. The staff usually likes to wrap up the QB first in the class.

This kid is blowing up. Clawson was on him early -- I'm pretty sure he was here for Junior Day back in the Spring. Since then he added the Nebraska offer and I was worried he'd move out of our reach. Glad he's still got Wake in the game. I'd really like to get either him or Jacobi Myers at QB.

Also, its interesting that this is the latest in the recruiting cycle that we've been without a QB recruit under Clawson. Usually, we've had our QB by July, 18 months before signing day. Hartman and Clark were in July, Bowers in May, Newman in April. The staff usually likes to wrap up the QB first in the class.

My best guess is the staff is willing to be patient to get a good QB. Wake has good QB for 2020 (Newman, Hartman) 2021 (Hartman and Kern) and probably 2022 (Hartman, Kern). Wake can be patient if that means the get their #1 choice.

Back