• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

This kid is blowing up. Clawson was on him early -- I'm pretty sure he was here for Junior Day back in the Spring. Since then he added the Nebraska offer and I was worried he'd move out of our reach. Glad he's still got Wake in the game. I'd really like to get either him or Jacobi Myers at QB.

Also, its interesting that this is the latest in the recruiting cycle that we've been without a QB recruit under Clawson. Usually, we've had our QB by July, 18 months before signing day. Hartman and Clark were in July, Bowers in May, Newman in April. The staff usually likes to wrap up the QB first in the class.

These kids are probably seeing another year of Newman, 3 of Hartman,.and 4 of.Kern looking good.

We have Mitch Griffis who looks to be a stud coming in next year also

These kids are probably seeing another year of Newman, 3 of Hartman,.and 4 of.Kern looking good.

Due to injuries and/or early departures we need a stud each year at QB

Due to injuries and/or early departures we need a stud each year at QB

Agreed. Wake needs a QB every recruiting class. However, the current situation gives the staff a little more time to be more selective.

Ron Wolf, when he was running the Packers in the 90's, would draft a QB every year. Mark Brunell was picked up by Jax in the expansion draft and Matt Hasselback was traded for a 1st round draft choice. They rarely needed a back-up QB for 27 years.

Yeah, we're definitely gonna get a QB every class. There've been several years already that Claw has recruited 2. I know Claw and Ruggiero have said they treat QB recruiting completely different from all other positions, and they like to have it done early, so they can focus on the rest of the class. Maybe it is a different approach this year, though.

Yeah, we're definitely gonna get a QB every class. There've been several years already that Claw has recruited 2. I know Claw and Ruggiero have said they treat QB recruiting completely different from all other positions, and they like to have it done early, so they can focus on the rest of the class. Maybe it is a different approach this year, though.

Last few years we had a qb early, their stock rose and were plucked away, right? Last year to Notre dame, the year before may have been bama. So us changing our approach makes sense...

I look at this the other way. If I’m a HS QB and I look at the QBs that Wake has developed over the past few years (Wolford, Newman) along with bowl winning teams, then I’m going think this is a place that could be really good for me.
Ie. Look at places like Clemson, UGA, Bama. They have top level QBs playing, but they also keep signing top level recruits to replace them. Yeah, I know there are transfers, but they keep the pipeline filled. With Wake’s improved depth at most positions, our 2-3 year development program is enabling us to reload, rather than rebuild each year.

seems like things a really quiet on the football recruiting front. Is this a dead period or are we almost full?

From September 1 through November 30 (essentially the regular season), NCAA FBS schools are in a "quiet period" which means some school to recruit contact is permitted, but the contact is limited.

WF has 17 commits from the 2020 class, and by my count 13 scholarship seniors (listed below, all contributors). So, WF's ability to bring in other commits will depend upon attrition (graduating early, transfers, heading to the NFL). Guessing that WF would find a way to give a ship to a "homerun" recruit, but otherwise WF is likely in a wait and see mode until it has a better handle on who is coming back next year. The current seniors:

- Kendall Hinton
- Amari Henderson
- Steven Claude
- Scotty Washington
- Dom Maggio
- Essang Bassey
- Justin Strnad
- Cade Carney
- Dayton Diemel (attended as preferred walk-on, earned a ship)
- Nathan Gilliam
- Jake Benzinger
- Justin Herron
- Jack Freudenthal (attended as a PWO, earned a scholly)

You have to count J Grey and M Fox too. I've tried to line up seniors and slots for years. The coach knows what he's doing. Some 4th year benchwarmers and flunkers won't be known until they're gone. Just keep on eye on the "visitors" list for each game. F$U should be a good one.

From September 1 through November 30 (essentially the regular season), NCAA FBS schools are in a "quiet period" which means some school to recruit contact is permitted, but the contact is limited.

WF has 17 commits from the 2020 class, and by my count 13 scholarship seniors (listed below, all contributors). So, WF's ability to bring in other commits will depend upon attrition (graduating early, transfers, heading to the NFL). Guessing that WF would find a way to give a ship to a "homerun" recruit, but otherwise WF is likely in a wait and see mode until it has a better handle on who is coming back next year. The current seniors:

- Kendall Hinton
- Amari Henderson
- Steven Claude
- Scotty Washington
- Dom Maggio
- Essang Bassey
- Justin Strnad
- Cade Carney
- Nathan Gilliam
- Jake Benzinger
- Justin Herron

Wow - that's a scarier list than I thought especially if you consider some underclassmen who could go early.

WR/DB/OL better step up

- Kendall Hinton
- Amari Henderson
- Steven Claude
- Scotty Washington
- Dom Maggio
- Essang Bassey
- Justin Strnad
- Cade Carney
- Nathan Gilliam
- Jake Benzinger
- Justin Herron

Whose gonna fill them shoes? I'm not worried about WR, RB, Punter or Amari...But the rest will hurt a bit....

Wow - that's a scarier list than I thought especially if you consider some underclassmen who could go early.

WR/DB/OL better step up

Didn't scroll and see this but yeah my thoughts exactly. I don't think we need to worry about any skill positions. Our receivers will be strong again next season. Running backs will be great....But yeah, DB, OL and Strnad will be tough to replace...

Didn't scroll and see this but yeah my thoughts exactly. I don't think we need to worry about any skill positions. Our receivers will be strong again next season. Running backs will be great....But yeah, DB, OL and Strnad will be tough to replace...

Wake is having two guys split time at left guard. Don't know if that is searching for someone to step up or using the spot to get two guys experience. If the latter, then the O-line will just!? need two tackles.

This replacement of two or three guys on the O-line should be the new normal. Redshirt juniors stepping in to replace graduated fifth year seniors. This would be another step in the evolution of Wake football.

Zac Tom got some snaps in games last year. Presumably there are plans to get more in game snaps for the backup tackles this season.

O-line should be positions filled by upper class guys. Under classmen should be playing only if they clearly are physically and talent wise better than the upper class guys. Necessity starting of guys like Phil Haynes and Justin Herron as RS freshmen needs to be a practice of the past.

I think the staff has already said how high they are on the Chase kid from North Jersey becoming an elite LB.

WF has been rotating a lot of different combos on the OL all year.

Against BC, Zach Tom (Starter), Sean Maginn (Starter),Michael Jurgens, Loic Nya, Je'Vionte Nash and Taleni Surhen. All played. That's 6 OL that will return that have played key snaps. WF will need to full out its depth, but there are a lot of viable candidates (Devonte Gordon, CJ Elmonus, Allan Rappleyea, Mike Edwards, Orlando Heggs) on the roster. The OL will be fine next year. Agree with concerns at CB and LB.

Who knows how well he'll play after having a year off, but D.J. Taylor should help with the loss of Strnad

Cornerback seems to be the biggest concern to me. Bassey has been a solid player for 3 years and Henderson has held his own. Ja’sir seems to be a good depth piece with experience, but hopefully some newer guys step up.

We are thin at DT and DBs. Another WR would fine. Just count the number of guys at each position. Sometimes you just run out of bodies.

Back