• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

You ever notice that 90% of our flips never see the football field at football factory they would have here

LOL! Players Clawson think will be studs at Wake can’t get on the field for top programs! That’s hilarious!

This one hurts more because he was local and that Burlington/Graham/Durham connection has been paying dividends for Wake of late.

I guess Oklahoma was his dream school. Maybe Alabama can offer and he can flip again. Or LSU.

I want guys that want to come to Wake Forest and create a legacy here. If a kid is a lemming who goes to whatever big name school shows interest, Wake Forest is not the place for them. This is for kids who want to build something new.

I dont think it is so black and white. If we had better weather the last two home games, duke and Florida state, and we went embarrassed by Clemson again and within 10 days if the flip then maybe we keep him. And if Baylor crushes Oklahoma two weeks ago, same thing. All variables are important when winning commitments vs the big boys.

I dont think it is so black and white. If we had better weather the last two home games, duke and Florida state, and we went embarrassed by Clemson again and within 10 days if the flip then maybe we keep him. And if Baylor crushes Oklahoma two weeks ago, same thing. All variables are important when winning commitments vs the big boys.

Yes, this is so true.

Hope he doesn't sign in December. The NFL is going to go hard after Lincoln Riley as soon as the season ends. Have heard that Riley is intrigued.

To be fair, Grimes is being recruited to play DE or Rush LB so not the same exact position, but yeah that's what happens when you decommit from a school where you are valued and go to a football factory that just wants to bring guys in without really fostering relationships.

Whitter, if Clawson accepted, could always recommit. There is no way he will have THE spotlight at OK that he would have at WF. Exhibit A: Kenneth Walker; Exhibit B: Carlos Basham; Exhibit C: Sage Surratt; THERE are MORE

Whitter, if Clawson accepted, could always recommit. There is no way he will have THE spotlight at OK that he would have at WF. Exhibit A: Kenneth Walker; Exhibit B: Carlos Basham; Exhibit C: Sage Surratt; THERE are MORE

Yeah. 4* recruit at Wake will likely be the highest rated recruit in the class and get headliner status any time the Wake recruiting class is discussed.

At a place like OK, he is the best recruit of the day, for barely 24 hours. And in their class he will be buried in the middle somewhere.

It's his choice to be one of the little fish in the big pond.

He'll be playing where his family and friends will have to make a major trip to see him, instead of a modest car ride away.

How many of his HS team mates will see him play at OK? How many games could they have seen him play if he gad had signed with Wake? They could get to at least 6 home games every year, and many years at least 8 games (6 home+ Duke and NCState away).

However, the grass appears greener out of state, so off he goes chasing that greener grass.

Yeah. 4* recruit at Wake will likely be the highest rated recruit in the class and get headliner status any time the Wake recruiting class is discussed.

At a place like OK, he is the best recruit of the day, for barely 24 hours. And in their class he will be buried in the middle somewhere.

It's his choice to be one of the little fish in the big pond.

He'll be playing where his family and friends will have to make a major trip to see him, instead of a modest car ride away.

How many of his HS team mates will see him play at OK? How many games could they have seen him play if he gad had signed with Wake? They could get to at least 6 home games every year, and many years at least 8 games (6 home+ Duke and NCState away).

However, the grass appears greener out of state, so off he goes chasing that greener grass.

It also might be a better decision for him. He thinks it is, and that’s all that matters. I can’t think of any recruit ever who went somewhere thinking they weren’t going to be the best, especially not at this level. If he honestly thought like you’re suggestion, he wouldn’t be successful here. You win some, you lose some. At the end of the day, these kids are just kids. His family surely considered the travel, and probably deemed that playing at an historic program like OU was worth it. Maybe it is, maybe not, but it’s their issue to deal with.

If we had a firm no poaching policy, I’d be more upset. As it is, we benefit from flipping kids as much as we’re harmed. It’s all in the game.

As Wake fans, we are disappointed. Seemed like the heir to Strnad. We read our own values and emotions into it,. I am sure Holes followers thought Surratt was a lock to follow his brother but some brothers,legacies would rather go their own way. Overall, our syaff does a great job vetting guys, finding players that want to be at Wake and fit in, and keeping them in the fold. A few get away and it smarts a little bit when some of the higher profile guys flip. I for one could not imagine seeing college roots in Oklahoma , Texas or Kansas- but hey somebody has to live there. Good luck to him, hope it works out and is all he hopes it will be. Next recruit up. I will probably ask who was that guy who went to OU in a few years and how is he doing? I'd rather concentrate on the ones who stick with us. My kind of guys.

No need to demean the young man for his decision. I presume he is comfortable with not assuring himself of being in the spotlight like he would be at WF or for that matter UNCCH if he had committed there. I suspect the football factory will be as tough as the rigors set by Clawson so that’s equal. Whether Lincoln Riley can teach as well a Clawson is debatable.

No need to demean the young man for his decision. I presume he is comfortable with not assuring himself of being in the spotlight like he would be at WF or for that matter UNCCH if he had committed there. I suspect the football factory will be as tough as the rigors set by Clawson so that’s equal. Whether Lincoln Riley can teach as well a Clawson is debatable.

Whether Lincoln Riley will be coaching Oklahoma when he gets there is debatable.

Talking about de-commits, just saw senior TE Jake Bargas on the field for U*NC. De-committed from Wake back in 2015. Looked up his stats, and he has 20 catches and 2 TDs in four years. Or, looking at it another way, fewer catches and TDs than Jack Freudenthal has this season alone (28 and 4, respectively).

Brandon Chapman has more receptions in two years as a backup TE.

Here is a summary of Wake's 247 recruiting class average ratings:

2020 0.8375
2019 0.846
2018 0.8428
2017 0.8269
2016 0.8319
2015 0.8298
2014 0.818
2013 0.81
2012 0.8274
2011 0.8233
2010 0.8367
2009 0.8132
2008 0.7955
2007 0.8075
2006 0.7877
2005 0.7658
2004 0.7965
2003 0.7667

Clawson's first class was 2014 and he has really improved recruiting during his tenure. 2020's class ranking is lower than the prior two years but still looks like a solid class on paper. That said there were games such as Louisville that made it clear that Wake didn't have as much athleticism and speed as some of our opponents. Recruiting needs to continue to improve for Wake to take the next step forward.

We need athletic linebackers. We passed on other linebackers relying on Whitter’s word. Whitter can sux it.

Back