• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I don't understand the notion that they have 2 classes without a LB ... they're high on all three freshmen: Chase Jones, Jaylen Hudson and Zach Ranson.

This quote from Clawson on Signing Day feels like the most relevant to not having a linebacker:

"It’s a new world. I think in the past, that we’ve always tried to be done with the first signing day. And now, I think more players this year are waiting until February than last year. I don’t know if that’s a national trend, but there’s other players that we’re involved with that are going to sign in February.

"Certainly the portal, the grad-transfer market is bigger than it’s ever been. I think sometimes rather than – if you don’t get the two or three players that are clearly going to make your program better, don’t settle and take somebody just to fill a number when there is now more of a secondary market for players than there’s ever been."

Look at the scholarship chart recently posted by BSD. Next year, will have one senior, 4 juniors, one sophomore, two RS freshmen and no true freshmen. The chart erroneously lists Chase Jones as a RS freshman, but he played in 5/6 games this fall.

Ransom (3 games) and Hudson (1 game) will both be RS frosh LBs next year. Chase Jones played in 6 games; so, he will be considered a sophomore next year. Would expect WF will look to sign an LB in the February signing period, and LB will be a position of emphasis in the 2021 HS recruiting class. Clearly, Oklahoma's flip of Whitter hurt.

Hopefully they will be much bigger. I don’t see how transfers that small will be effective.

Size is good- the ability/speed to cover / run laterally , side to side is extremely important with today's offenses

Size is good- the ability/speed to cover / run laterally , side to side is extremely important with today's offenses

Yep. Look at lbs at Clemson and Auburn. Not huge but very fast.

So they just need enough speed to make up for their lack of size!

Introducing our new transfer:
bf060aac647c9ea0b13d6ca4f9a7370b.jpg

Last edited:
Extra linebackers and safeties are useful in kickoff coverage. Those guys should be capable of tackling runners in space. So, more linebackers, please.

That's certainly an improvement over 1-2 lb. linemen.

Very funny....

Is Fehr (I hope that is correct) linebacker at App.St. eligible for grad transfer? He would be a great fit for WF.

Back