• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Josh Walker headed to the desert to play for Rich Rod.

Today's one of my favorite days to point out NCAA rules that seem outdated or just plain awful. That's because August 1 marks the unofficial end of summer commitment season (most schools that don't get a lot of 4/5 stars should be nearly full by now), and yet it's the first day that the NCAA permits written offers to be made. So while five P5 programs have extended over 300 verbal offers each, likely only 25-30 of those end up being extended in writing. Perfect.

August 1 also marks the beginning of a month long dead period. Now I realize that some high schools are beginning practice, and some schools will be in session soon as well. But if a 2019 recruit wants to come in for a visit for right before his school year starts? Maybe he'd like to get a sense for how the coaches conduct practice? Nope...can't do it.

Saw that ECU went to the trouble of preparing a fancy written scholarship offer that was fashioned like a pirate scroll. However they had a spelling mistake in the header, so instead of providing a "scholarship offer" they provided recruits with a "scholar hip offer" (which I think is something entirely different...)

I think you guys may end up with DE prospect Joseph Boletepeli. Looks/feels like it's a NCSU/WF battle for him and I think that he isn't going to have a spot at NCSU due to numbers if the next week and a half play out the way I think they will. NCSU has 1 more spot for a DL in this class and our #1 target seems to be Alim McNeil. Sounds like Alim will announce within the next 7-10 days and has come out to several sites in the last week and proclaimed NCSU as the leader. If that plays out I think Boletepelli will be on the outside looking in.

All of that said I think you guys actually were/are the leader for Boletepeli from with the education side you are selling as well as what the coaches have done molding a guy like Ejiofor. Just figured i'd pass along.

Saw that ECU went to the trouble of preparing a fancy written scholarship offer that was fashioned like a pirate scroll. However they had a spelling mistake in the header, so instead of providing a "scholarship offer" they provided recruits with a "scholar hip offer" (which I think is something entirely different...)

If you read on a bit farther I think they also screwed up the word "undaunted" spelling it "Uundaunted." Maybe Wolpfack can be forgotten now!

Sort of like our W AKE FOREST that we had in the endzone for a few seasons

I think you guys may end up with DE prospect Joseph Boletepeli. Looks/feels like it's a NCSU/WF battle for him and I think that he isn't going to have a spot at NCSU due to numbers if the next week and a half play out the way I think they will. NCSU has 1 more spot for a DL in this class and our #1 target seems to be Alim McNeil. Sounds like Alim will announce within the next 7-10 days and has come out to several sites in the last week and proclaimed NCSU as the leader. If that plays out I think Boletepelli will be on the outside looking in.

All of that said I think you guys actually were/are the leader for Boletepeli from with the education side you are selling as well as what the coaches have done molding a guy like Ejiofor. Just figured i'd pass along.

Nice if true. JB looks like a solid player.
thanks

Sort of like our W AKE FOREST that we had in the endzone for a few seasons

Didn't we also put some fancy new graphics on the locker room wall with a typo? I vaguely remember that.

Crystal ball for Elijah Brown to Duke by Adam Rowe. Rowe has called several of the Duke commits accurately. Boletepeli had a crystal ball to NCSU recently but if he gets locked out with McNeil as Tau expects then....

An interesting late summer offer went out yesterday to DT Shamar Jones (Greater Johnstown HS / Johnstown, PA). Jones is an athletic DT with really good highlights and some impressive credentials (he was DL MVP at The Opening - Cleveland). Until recently, Jones had struggled to get P5 offers because he is slightly undersized (officially 6'1 / 264). This offer sets up an interesting recruiting head-to-head with Indiana, who gave Jones his first P5 offer on August 1. You may recall from last cycle that Wake and Indiana ended up facing off late in the process for CB Raheem Layne.

If Wake is able to land Jones, it will be the third year in a row that Wake has chosen to give up a little size to get a talented, athletic DT (Sulaiman Kamara in 2016 and Tyler Williams in 2017).

There's a short update on Sam Hartman in this article from the small Lake Norman newspaper. https://www.lakenormancitizen.com/sports/sports-news/item/12236-grier,-hartman-team-up-again-in-sc.html

Nothing overly newsworthy, but it did include this quote from his HC: “He trains so hard,” says Grier. “He’s gotten stronger and added muscle and runs really well right now. I’m excited with what he’s doing. Developmentally, he’s making every throw.”

Glad to hear that Sam has fully recovered from his illness and weight loss last year.
He still has a good 2 years before he'll see the field at Wake, so plenty of time to keep working on weight and strength gain.
Impressive that he'll be included in Beyond the lights with 2 of the best QBs in the country.

Tayvon Bowers was on the show last season.

Is Sam playing 7x7? That can't be good, can it? Or were they just in a 7x7 tournament over the summer and are able to play 11x11 football. Seems an odd move if playing 7x7.

Last edited:
. You may recall from last cycle that Wake and Indiana ended up facing off late in the process for CB Raheem Layne.

Don't remember how it played out, but Wake and Indiana both offered Jessie Bates too.

Noah, welcome to WFU!

Looks like he played guard and center on his HS team as well. However his measurables (6'-0, 230) make him a little small to do that at the P5 level. If he grows up some...

Last edited:
Back