• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Investigating If Louisville Knew Too Much

It really doesn't matter if they did it or not. Everyone in the United States of America believes they did it.

Can we just pause to talk about how horrendous the W-S Journal headline is? I mean I know they outsourced their copy-editing, but the headline couldn't be more vague on what's turned out to be a national story. "Louisville knew too much"?? Tell the people what's actually going on

Quibbling here but that's not really a copyeditor's job

The tone of some of the articles I've read, including one from Vice https://sports.vice.com/ca/highlight/wake-forest-football-investigating-a-breach-before-louisville-stomped-them who I didn't suppose would be a victim-shamer, is basically "Louisville is good and Wake sucks so why would Louisville need to cheat?"

IMO the outcome of the game is basically irrelevant. Louisville is a better team, NO DOUBT. But it's still an important story if they're stealing gameplanning material from their opponents...even LOWF.

Quibbling here but that's not really a copyeditor's job

At the Journal, the people doing the copy-editing used to write a lot of the headlines (when they had copy-editors). Although I just realized this was on Dan's blog, rather than a normal news story, so very possible he wrote the headline himself.

The tone of some of the articles I've read, including one from Vice https://sports.vice.com/ca/highlight/wake-forest-football-investigating-a-breach-before-louisville-stomped-them who I didn't suppose would be a victim-shamer, is basically "Louisville is good and Wake sucks so why would Louisville need to cheat?"

IMO the outcome of the game is basically irrelevant. Louisville is a better team, NO DOUBT. But it's still an important story if they're stealing gameplanning material from their opponents...even LOWF.

To be fair that was also the reaction of many of the WF fans on this Board, so not that surprising that others with no connection to WF would say the same.

To be fair that was also the reaction of many of the WF fans on this Board, so not that surprising that others with no connection to WF would say the same.

Yeah I agree completely. I'm pretty surprised that's the takeaway so far. There are plenty of legitimate reasons we lost, but cheating is still cheating (last I checked). The 2007 Pats didn't need to record defensive signals from the 4-12 Jets to beat them, but it's still cheating.

This is why it sucks that they basically curb stomped us the last quarter because it really didn't indicate how close this game was and that we were really in control until our defense wore down.

Probably would be more of a story if our offense was better than a high school JV squad to say that they definitely seemed to know what was coming. But, we all know what a dumpster fire our offense is so that is a tough sell for that narrative.

I dont see anything from WF that remotely accuses Louisville of any wrongdoing. Wake/Wellman arent the type to publicly accuse another ACC school of something like this.

I dont see anything from WF that remotely accuses Louisville of any wrongdoing. Wake/Wellman arent the type to publicly accuse another ACC school of something like this.

Yeah I mean without a very clear smoking gun they wouldn't consider a direct accusation. And by that I mean proof of intent to obtain Wake's prep material, not just finding a binder left behind and benefiting from our sloppiness.

Good morning America had a segment on this with Stephen a smith

Want this to be huge. Want it to cost them their shot at a championship. I want Louisville alumni to hate Wake Forest for the next 100 years.

Love this. Fuck Petrino.

Don't think it cost us the game, but Louisville struggled big time against Duke and Virginia too.

The great thing is that a Petrino denial of having any knowledge of this means absolutely nothing to everybody from his AD outward. That's just the reality with this guy. He essentially could lose his job if this is true and he was involved. You would think the only way this could have happened was if a feeler was put out to peripheral Wake staff to give up the play book for Cash. Unless there was some sort of St Louis Cardinals - Houston Astros type of hack which seems almost more far fetched than a cash buy.

This will be a lot of egg on our face if it turns out that someone simply left the playbook in some stupid place that didn't make any sense.

The great thing is that a Petrino denial of having any knowledge of this means absolutely nothing to everybody from his AD outward. That's just the reality with this guy. He essentially could lose his job if this is true and he was involved. You would think the only way this could have happened was if a feeler was put out to peripheral Wake staff to give up the play book for Cash. Unless there was some sort of St Louis Cardinals - Houston Astros type of hack which seems almost more far fetched than a cash buy.

This will be a lot of egg on our face if it turns out that someone simply left the playbook in some stupid place that didn't make any sense.

I don't think so...I think this is why the message SO FAR has very specifically been some form of "we're investigating what WE could have done wrong"

Can you change your avatar? It's haunting. Thanks :thumbsup:

So did someone from our staff find this information upon arriving at Papa John's Stadium? If so, why did we wait until after the game to report it?

So did someone from our staff find this information upon arriving at Papa John's Stadium? If so, why did we wait until after the game to report it?

We found it on Friday at the stadium. Not sure if we reported it immediately to Ron Wellman...I assume that he would have known about it because he was on the sideline/with the team when they arrived. I'm guessing we just kept it under wraps until after the game so we didn't tip Louisville off that we knew that they had it.

Depending on what we actually found would go a long way in determining what actually happened. Was it something an assistant coach left in a press box at an earlier game that passed along to Louisville? Was it a practice report that only could've come from our staff? Was it practice footage? It could be a lot of different things.

If Louisville indeed had documents that showed plays Wake Forest had used in practice but not games, it could be considered a competitive advantage.
Maybe they'll give us the game? How sweet would that be, costing Louisville a playoff spot. Their fans will hate us forever.

Why are people acting like the NCAA is not a joke? Have we learned nothing from the UNC and, well what do ya know, Louisville cases?

Why are people acting like the NCAA is not a joke? Have we learned nothing from the UNC and, well what do ya know, Louisville cases?

We haven't learned anything from UNC because they haven't been sentenced yet. And when we get the goods on Petrino we will wait for that conviction.

Back