• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest / Radford game thread

Finally checking back in after taking the summer off. Admitedly, have not been paying attention at all.

But how is Moore not a starter? Need to bring Dinos off the bench. Start Moore and Collins IMO

We need Moore and Collins grabbing rebounds and defending the post. If they're both in at the same time, the second unit is gonna really suck at those two things. Dinos helps stretch the floor with either one of those two.

I expect to see McClinton in there starting at the 3. Also, expect Woods to start at the 2.

Lineup of: Crawford, Woods, McClinton, Dinos, Collins

Sub off the bench in order: Arians (McC), Moore (Dinos/Collins depending on fouls), Chill (Crawford), Wilbekin (Woods), Collins/Dinos (back in for the other - or Moore).

Sam, Washington, and Van Horn to get spot minutes based on fouls and margin of lead

I expect to see McClinton in there starting at the 3. Also, expect Woods to start at the 2.

Sub off the bench in order: Arians (McC), Moore (Dinos/Collins depending on fouls), Chill (Crawford), Wilbekin (Woods), Collins/Dinos (back in for the other - or Moore).

Sam, Washington, and Van Horn to get spot minutes based on fouls and margin of lead

If we start McClinton over Arians then we might as well fold the program.

Do you want to make a bet on the minutes played per game this season by McClinton barring injury to him?

Se what you think a reasonable MPG for McClinton is for the season.

Your love for McClinton knows no bounds.

I mean I don't think McClinton is garbage by any stretch, but his role on this team should be between 5-10 minutes per game at most, depending on foul trouble.

It sort of seems like you don't understand substitution strategy or team roles, Deacsfan27. There is a reason that an NBA team might, say, start Miles Plumlee but only play him 14 minutes a game.

Ditto for the college game. I, of course, have a higher expectation of what McClinton can provide this season, essentially his last in the program and either his last or second to last season to prove to somebody overseas (or an agent that reps overseas) that he is worth some $$ in a secondary or tertiary league. That is high motivation for any player with a good head on his shoulders.

The reason I think McC should start is I think, despite his brainfarts of the past, he has the mobility and athleticism to reasonably guard an ACC 3. I worry that Arians does not have that mobility. I DO think Arians has a better chance against a starting ACC 3 who has already run up and down the court for 5 minutes and/or against his backup. That is my rational for McC as the starting 3. Not because I think he is going to have some sort of Visser-like final act as a Deacon, but more that his survival at the starting 3 spot lays the ground work for some beneficial matchups throughout the rest of the game. That's it.

For that reason I hope he plays with the consistency to earn 10-15 minutes a game. Those minutes are there for him if he earns it.

I think it is really hard to predict college roles or minutes as every player each year seems to either over perform or under perform based on nothing else other than their focus and where they are in their lives as a college person. I thought Vytas would be better than he was his junior and senior years, that Gary Clark was a brick layer who wouldn't play much his senior year, that Robert O'Kelly would be great his senoir year, etc. etc.

But again, if we can get 10-15 good minutes out of McClinton, we'll be a much better team than if he plays 5 and Arians plays 30. IMO.

Last edited:
The only person who got lost more on D last year than Crab was McClinton. Greg plays hard, but he's just not an ACC player. He has not shot more than 8' from the basket. His man can play a one man zone and make it much harder for Bryant to drive and dish.

McClinton deserves all the props in the world for coming back from a really tough injury. He worked his butt off and has been a solid addition to the Wake community. It would be great to see him go somewhere after this year and get a masters degree.

McC looked great in the Bahamas cutting to the basket without the ball against man-to-man and doing okay popping to the top of the key against the zone. The wrong move to write him off, RJ. He'll add productive minutes this year IMO. Mark it down. You can be a productive player without a shot beyond 8 feet. See Rajon Rondo, Joakim Noah and Mr. Bruce Dalyrymple.

Not going to argue this with you all year long. This is how I feel going into the season.

At 4/5 -I hope it goes something like:

JC 30 mpg
Dinos 25 mpg
Doral 20 mpg
Sam 5 mpg

If Doral can stay out of foul trouble, he might flip those minutes with Dinos. The more minutes Doral plays. The better our season will be.

At 1/2/3:

Byrant 32 mpg
Keyshaw 28 mpg
Austin 25 mpg
Brandon 15 mpg
Mitch W 10 mpg
Rest of Team 10 mpg

McC looked great in the Bahamas cutting to the basket without the ball against man-to-man and doing okay popping to the top of the key against the zone. The wrong move to write him off, RJ. He'll add productive minutes this year IMO. Mark it down. You can be a productive player without a shot beyond 8 feet. See Rajon Rondo, Joakim Noah and Mr. Bruce Dalyrymple.

Not going to argue this with you all year long. This is how I feel going into the season.

I would like nothing better than for Greg to develop into a poor man's Bruce Dalrymple.

One of my favorite Phillies was Clay Dalrymple. He had a really good arm as a catcher.

Let's win tonight!

We need Arians' 3 point shooting. It is definitely a key to our offense. I don't expect to see a ton of GMcC this year.

He has never shown close to the tenacity of Dalrymple or Noah. He knows how to move without the ball and has good offensive rebounding instincts. But he seems to tune out when he is on the court. It is rare that a timid player suddenly changes. If he does I'll be happy to admit I was wrong about him.

At 4/5 -I hope it goes something like:

JC 30 mpg
Dinos 25 mpg
Doral 20 mpg
Sam 5 mpg

If Doral can stay out of foul trouble, he might flip those minutes with Dinos. The more minutes Doral plays. The better our season will be.

At 1/2/3:

Byrant 32 mpg
Keyshaw 28 mpg
Austin 25 mpg
Brandon 15 mpg
Mitch W 10 mpg
Rest of Team 10 mpg

I am not that much in disagreement. I htink Arians will play some at the 4 this season, about 5 minutes per game, so I would tap Dinos down to 20 mpg

Then I would essentially agree with you on the 1/2/3 but with an extra 5 minutes there, I think McC and Washington split 15 mpg, with McC getting the bulk of that, unless he doesn't do what I expect/hope and Wash really steps up. The odd man out seems to be Donovan Mitchell. If McC does not step up, I fear we are looking at 5-10 mpg from Van Horn

I am not that much in disagreement. I htink Arians will play some at the 4 this season, about 5 minutes per game, so I would tap Dinos down to 20 mpg

Then I would essentially agree with you on the 1/2/3 but with an extra 5 minutes there, I think McC and Washington split 15 mpg, with McC getting the bulk of that, unless he doesn't do what I expect/hope and Wash really steps up. The odd man out seems to be Donovan Mitchell. If McC does not step up, I fear we are looking at 5-10 mpg from Van Horn

Hi jaybone

remember our election wager?

I do.

Get ready to pay up!

man-arm-with-hand-in-a-fist-isolated-on-white-background-E0N9NN.jpg

067981089264-1.jpg

If we aren't getting good minutes out of McClinton then I hope to god we go to Mitchell or Washington for these minutes long before VanHorn, and that's if we have exhausted the minutes we can get from a 3-guard lineup or Arians at the 3.

Collins, Dinos, McClinton, Wilbekin and Crawford to start each half followed by a hurricane of substitutions that will leave me baffled for at least 3/4 of the game. It's Danny ball!

Back