• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest, Trying Desperately to Regress to the Mean

I had to watch this in my coaching clinic when I learned how to coach kids. It was a good one.

1295-l.jpg

Isn't there an offense that is supposed to help less talented teams level the playing field a bit? I think it is named after a school... the Dartmouth offense maybe? The Cornell offense?

We also shoved out the door Dave odom who won 2 ACC titles and had us in good stead with Darius Songalia, Josh Howard, Craig Dawson and a recruiting class of Taron Downey, Vytas Danileus & Jamal Levy.

GDO could have easily signed the contract extension on the table after the 2000 NIT championship but he decided to gamble for more $$'s. It looked to be a sound strategy until the lass second loss in Chapel Hill and was capped off by the Butler debacle.

If only GDO and Wellman were BFF's (like Wellman and Bzz according to this board) he might still be coaching here today !!!111

I think it's kind of funny that last year people were praising [Redacted] for maintaining a fast tempo throughout conference play, saying that it proved he wasn't going to take short cuts and abandon his system even if slowing down would probably have prevented us from losing in such embarrassing manner. Now we have slowed way down and are stilling losing in embarrassing manner yet people are praising that.

Also, a 15 point game is not a moral victory. Good teams get upset or win squeakers all the time, especially when they play as badly as UNC did last night.

Last edited:
That wasn't as much in reference to last night as some of the other big losses. I just don't get how you can ever count a 15+ point game as a moral victory.

GDO could have easily signed the contract extension on the table after the 2000 NIT championship but he decided to gamble for more $$'s. It looked to be a sound strategy until the lass second loss in Chapel Hill and was capped off by the Butler debacle.

This.

As someone who was in the Georgia Dome for the ACC Tourney debacle vs. Maryland in 2001, Odom & the team were clearly in different galaxies. And any lingering doubts about whether Odom had lost the team were completely put to bed a few days later in Kansas City.

We also shoved out the door Dave odom who won 2 ACC titles and had us in good stead with Darius Songalia, Josh Howard, Craig Dawson and a recruiting class of Taron Downey, Vytas Danileus & Jamal Levy.

In fact we shoved out the door a 3 time ACC champion baseball coach back around 2000 and see where that has gotten us.

Glad we shoved him out...Skip was a huge upgrade!

Players hated Doherty. Fans hated Doherty. Alumns hated Doherty. Students hated Doherty. Adminstration hated Doherty.

Our coach has only three of those five against him: Fans/Alumns (same thing for Wake), and I guess Students.

No. It's more like "(daughter of bzzz)'s dad is the coach? I didn't know that. Remember when we beat UNC and Duke within a week of each other?"

Not one bit. Skip Prosser was a huge upgrade over Dave Odom. Higher ceiling, better representative of the school, better educator to his players.

Arguably all true, for certain. However, on paper, we didn't reach the same accomplishments we did under Odom. I don't know how to tangibly gauge who was the better "educator," though.

Lower highs. Lower lows. Tough to argue for Skip on the facts.

If Wake had won that game it would have been one of the top 5 upsets of the year.

Of the year??? Had we beaten UNC it would possibly have been enough to get Roy fired. That would have been the biggest upset in maybe a century of WFU bball. We won 1 game in the ACC last season and look to maybe win 2-3 this season.

Back