• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Twitter Thread aka Coach Scheier wins the Internet

I liked LD early on, but his repeadted three point shot from the corner - the hardest shot in basketball - which he almost always missed, caused me to change my mind. I never understood why Dino didn't tell him - 'if you shoot that shot again, you are coming out of the game and never going back in'.

Remember when LD came on here and blasted us for saying negative stuff online? I guess he'll let Phonso get away with it.

Huge difference between what Phonz said (calling out the team for lack of effort/focus) and calling individual players out.

I understand why LD posted that stuff, and I even agree with some of it. He just doesn't understand the purpose of the sports boards, or online forums in general. The purpose of these boards isn't to support the Deacs, it's to discuss the Deacs. If a player really wanted to avoid criticism, they should stick to empty gyms, instead of signing up to play in front of thousands of people. Once they put on that jersey, they are representing a symbol which all Wake fans take rightful ownership in (the purpose of a sports team is to represent the school and all it's associates), so anything they do, good or bad, affects us beyond our control, and therefore we have the right to critique them, within certain contextual bounds.

I liked LD early on, but his repeadted three point shot from the corner - the hardest shot in basketball - which he almost always missed, caused me to change my mind. I never understood why Dino didn't tell him - 'if you shoot that shot again, you are coming out of the game and never going back in'.

Could have been such a weapon for us, if used properly.

How sad is it that he's averaging 17 and 6 in the D-League but only 9 and 6 as a senior at Wake...

We ran about one back pick for him a game. Brilliant. :rulz:

Could have been such a weapon for us, if used properly.

How sad is it that he's averaging 17 and 6 in the D-League but only 9 and 6 as a senior at Wake...

We ran about one back pick for him a game. Brilliant. :rulz:

I only talked to LD directly once or twice in my time at Wake, but I had a good friend that was in contact with LD fairly often. After our 2009 collapse culminating with Cleveland State, I was talking with my friend about our pathetic offense.

He chuckled and said LD was bitching about it the other day, saying the team didn't actually install an offense until mid January (or whenever our first loss against Georgia Tech was). Up until then, Dino just wanted them to play defense and hustle up and down the court, thinking everything else would fall into place with all our superior athletes. Apparently the mantra at the time was to play "loose" and "above the rim" and shit like that. After the Georgia Tech loss, I was told the team sort of went into a panic mode and tried to install a rigid offense.

Fail.

"You mean I actually have to coach the team? Damn." *

- Dino Gaudio.

*NOTE: this is not actually a real quote

I only talked to LD directly once or twice in my time at Wake, but I had a good friend that was in contact with LD fairly often. After our 2009 collapse culminating with Cleveland State, I was talking with my friend about our pathetic offense.

He chuckled and said LD was bitching about it the other day, saying the team didn't actually install an offense until mid January (or whenever our first loss against Georgia Tech was). Up until then, Dino just wanted them to play defense and hustle up and down the court, thinking everything else would fall into place with all our superior athletes. Apparently the mantra at the time was to play "loose" and "above the rim" and shit like that. After the Georgia Tech loss, I was told the team sort of went into a panic mode and tried to install a rigid offense.

Fail.

My goodness.

Ha how have we not heard that anecdote before? It's like everyone accusations and worst fears of Dino come to life.

It's been posted before. Good thing we had that packline defense to help us get out into transition!

Ha how have we not heard that anecdote before? It's like everyone accusations and worst fears of Dino come to life.

Yea, it's been posted before.

BabyDeac can come in and refute it if it's wrong though. He certainly has more first-hand knowledge than me. My story just comes from a friend of LD's, and LD as the ultimate source could certainly be biased.

Fail.

FWIW I also heard this from LD, one of the walk ons and a player parent. While possible that it was biased, I find it hard to believe that the entire team and parents would do so.

That would actually make a lot of sense and it jives with what we all saw play out on the court. When you are 17-0 and the #1 team in the country, I guess it makes sense not to screw with whatever it is you are doing. But to not have a back up plan, or even an offensive system to speak of in the middle of the season and going in to conference play and the tournament, is inexcusable.

Against Cleveland State wasn't Dino's offensive gameplan for the players to write 'WTP' on the insides of their shoes (win the possession)? Should have been 'WTF'.

3 point shots from the corner are absolutely not the worst shot in basketball. Statistically, I am pretty sure they are made at a higher percentage than a three from any other spot, at least in the NBA. The down-side to corner threes is that they leave the shooter in poor position to get back to stop a fast break if there is a long rebound.

That being said, I agree that LD could not hit a corner three.

Worst shot in basketball is a long 2. Hardest 3 to make is the one 45 degrees out from the basket.

Aren't corner 3's in the NBA the closest distance-wise since the arc has to flatten out?

82games charted this:

s2b0aa.jpg

Most productive spot on the floor. Basically they are the closest three, they are 95% assisted meaning they are usually wide open catch and shoot situations. Also people don't do anything but shoot from there so no turnovers.

Back