• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Twitter Thread aka Coach Scheier wins the Internet

To be fair, WF doesn't know that this team with multiple freshmen and sophomores playing important roles won't make the NCAA tourney next season.

We do know that the last two seasons we had with multiple freshmen and sophomores playing important roles and they weren't anywhere close to making the NCAA Tournament. This team should be a junior laden team with a senior as the best player and 1st team All-ACC possibility.

I understand I'll probably get burned for the piece, but I really think we are going in a positive direction. I appreciate and welcome all other perspectives.

Statistically speaking, some of us are bound to be mentally ill.

Well at least they're reaching out to SD and BSD, so they deserve some props for that. Don't be fooled by their note-taking; deep down the athletic department dislikes students and views them as spoiled and as a waste of revenue, and student ideas are very rarely implemented.

At least the lady on WXII had the balls to ask Buzz some real questions. You just agree to the AD talking points and blogged about it. Cum, how does Buzz's dick taste?

Seriously, Buzz's career record is:132–147
Tom Crean's: 242-169 (.589)
NOT COMPARABLE

If we had TOM CREAN then maybe Wake Fans would believe in a turn around!

Classy.

Just to be sure people around here understand....last night was a dinner for the Top 10-15 SD's in minutes. The reason that Cumberland didn't "have the balls to ask Buzz some real questions" was because it was a dinner, not an interview.

I'd love to hear what the people around here would ask him at a cordial dinner setting with Jeff Nix, Mike Lepore and Mike Odom around, especially since it was meant to be a reward for the people that actually attend games instead of just post on an internet message board about it.

He blogged about it because he thought people would like the insight, not because he was being used by the administration. Nobody told him to write what he wrote, he wrote what he believed after the dinner.

Carry on with the comments, just thought I'd clarify some things so it wasn't just thought that Cumberland was interviewing him and lobbing him softballs.

Well at least they're reaching out to SD and BSD, so they deserve some props for that. Don't be fooled by their note-taking; deep down the athletic department dislikes students and views them as spoiled and as a waste of revenue, and student ideas are very rarely implemented.

I completely disagree with that statement. They really want to hear our thoughts and ideas since they want to do what they can. I was sitting next to Jeff Nix during the dinner. He was great to talk to and he and the other coaches completely understand that attendance is drive by performance. Coach [Redacted] actually wants some of the SD's to come and talk to the players. They want the players to take their headphones off and to interact with the student body more than they currently do. While he and the other coaches already tell the players this he thinks that he will have more of an impact if it is coming from other students. Mike Lepore also brought a packet with ideas for the new intro and shirts.

Do the coaches not understand that there is a major disconnect between most high revenue student athletes and most of the student body itself?

Someone post the letter from the ad in the May gold rush. First time I've seen it stated in black and white that we are wanting to model our program after the mid majors that have been successful recently. As I said n the other board, good to see itnput out there. Sad to see that it's really a goal for us to work to achieve like a mid major.

I completely disagree with that statement. They really want to hear our thoughts and ideas since they want to do what they can. I was sitting next to Jeff Nix during the dinner. He was great to talk to and he and the other coaches completely understand that attendance is drive by performance. Coach [Redacted] actually wants some of the SD's to come and talk to the players. They want the players to take their headphones off and to interact with the student body more than they currently do. While he and the other coaches already tell the players this he thinks that he will have more of an impact if it is coming from other students. Mike Lepore also brought a packet with ideas for the new intro and shirts.

Last Athlete-to-Student ambassador: Melvin "Can I borrow your iPad" Tabb

Do the coaches not understand that there is a major disconnect between most high revenue student athletes and most of the student body itself?

I certainly think that they understand it, but it's not really a problem when the teams are winning (see the football team). Just my $.02.

I certainly think that they understand it, but it's not really a problem when the teams are winning (see the football team). Just my $.02.

Exactly.

And the coaches forcing the kids on the team to pretend to listen to other students tell them what they think the athletes should be doing to encourage "normal" students to attend games has no real value. It is simply window dressing and I am surprised anybody would take it seriously.

The players already understand winning more = more attendance. The hell would they get out of listening to some Scremin' Demons telling them some off the wall ideas on improving attendance? It is complete nonsense and quite surprising that nobody laughed at the coaches when they suggested such a stupid idea.

Exactly.

And the coaches forcing the kids on the team to pretend to listen to other students tell them what they think the athletes should be doing to encourage "normal" students to attend games has no real value. It is simply window dressing and I am surprised anybody would take it seriously.

The players already understand winning more = more attendance. The hell would they get out of listening to some Scremin' Demons telling them some off the wall ideas on improving attendance? It is complete nonsense and quite surprising that nobody laughed at the coaches when they suggested such a stupid idea.

+1

Exactly.

I certainly understand this sentiment, but when a team is not winning there are ways to get people to the games still and I think they are seriously entertaining notions on how to do so. I see nothing wrong with them trying to ask the student body better ways to get them to the games. Winning is a cure for essentially everything and I the team/coaching staff understands that for sure. They still want people to support them because support can lead to a better home environment/mentality/morale, especially when college kids are involved and that can lead to more wins.

I don't fault them for coming to students at all. It really makes me question what the heck the Sports Marketing is doing though.

Cum, what's the difference between your piece and the talking points we've seen from Wellman and Bz over the last 2 years?

I ask that because you either fed him a question or walked right into a common talking point: "
I asked him about the parallels he saw between Wake Forest's turnaround and that of Indiana, which is currently preseason No. 1 in the nation."

That's fine if you're going to bring of the difference between Indiana's basketball history and Wake's and between Tom Crean's record and Bz'. But you didn't. It comes across as a fluff piece. How can you accept the "junior-senior laden team" bit when (1) it doesn't reflect the realities of college basketball, (2) even if it did, those teams only come around every 3-4 years, and (3) he lost 4 players out of a 5 man class that supposed to help us get to a "junior-senior laden" team.

I think many of us who were student leaders at Wake at some point had some meeting with administrators where we got sodaed and dined and got what we thought was a sincere invitation for input. Eventually we learned that it was mostly BS and we were the audience, not them.

That's funny. I never saw your comment and posted on the other board what a fluff piece full of regurgitated talking points that blog post was after reading it.

Exactly.

It is complete nonsense and quite surprising that nobody laughed at the coaches when they suggested such a stupid idea.

I'm sorry, but the more you post, the more you sound like an ass. I'm sure, in that setting, you would have laughed right in their face.

I'm sorry, but the more you post, the more you sound like an ass. I'm sure, in that setting, you would have laughed right in their face.

flying-cat-fight-1.jpg

In my own defense... it would have been an uncontrollable laughter. It's a terrible fucking idea and one that would receive an automatic chuckle from hearing it uttered out loud.

"Sweet idea, Coach Nix. Let's have the guys on the team forced to listen to some students tell them what they should do to better encourage kids to go to a game they can get into for free. Super sweet. Brilliant idea, even."

It's stupid. It's so terribly stupid.

As for your mild insult. Cut me deep. I'll now reconsider the way I come across on the internet.

Also in his defense....

I laughed when cumby and numbers came back and told me what they were going to do.....

In my own defense... it would have been an uncontrollable laughter. It's a terrible fucking idea and one that would receive an automatic chuckle from hearing it uttered out loud.

"Sweet idea, Coach Nix. Let's have the guys on the team forced to listen to some students tell them what they should do to better encourage kids to go to a game they can get into for free. Super sweet. Brilliant idea, even."

It's stupid. It's so terribly stupid.

As for your mild insult. Cut me deep. I'll now reconsider the way I come across on the internet.

I understand you are framing that to make it sound really stupid, but it's really not as dumb as you're making it sound.

It's one thing for the coaches to tell the team that they need to relate to students more and they roll their eyes or whatever, but it's another thing completely for you to hear it from your peers and your fellow students.

Like when your parents tell you something and you think it's dumb and then you hear it from your peers and you agree with them. I know this isn't going to change your mind but I really don't think it's as dumb of an idea as you think it is.

If they want students to come to the games then things like making shirts they would want to wear, changing the game environment to cater to the demands of the students and getting them more involved is certainly the way to go about doing it. Even more so if the coaching staff and the players are involved with it as well.

Back