• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest vs. Pitt Game Thread - We Are Such Losers

We barely beat Rutgers. If our talent was that much better, we would have dominated them like other teams did.

We barely beat Rutgers (#284 in Kenpom), but we also barely lost to UVA (currently #2 in Kenpom). You can't pick and choose your games. You've got to look at the season as a whole.

Question, do you believe we have the same talent as the teams around us in Kenpom or RPI? Grand Canyon? UNC-Asheville? IPFW? Do you seriously believe those teams have anywhere close to the same level of talent we have?

2nk3ott.png

I'd take LeDay, Bibbs & Allen over any of our guys. VT has more talent & they're a lower echelon team. We're not even in the same universe as the top tier teams talent-wise. Amazing that the majority of the board fails to see it.

It is a shame that this awful conference season has blinded the fan base with how good Bryant Crawford is. He is a special talent & hopefully gives Manning someone to build his team around.

It is a shame that this awful conference season has blinded the fan base with how good Bryant Crawford is. He is a special talent & hopefully gives Manning someone to build his team around.

This. Crawford is special. Accept it (to those who aren't)

Yeah I have a feeling Crawford is going to blow up next season.

He's one of four freshmen in the nation averaging over 13 PPG and 4 APG

We barely beat Rutgers (#284 in Kenpom), but we also barely lost to UVA (currently #2 in Kenpom). You can't pick and choose your games. You've got to look at the season as a whole.

Question, do you believe we have the same talent as the teams around us in Kenpom or RPI? Grand Canyon? UNC-Asheville? IPFW? Do you seriously believe those teams have anywhere close to the same level of talent we have?

2nk3ott.png

That's easy. We're better on average than those teams around us. If we were playing in those conferences, our record would be better. But we're not.

\KenPomBot\ KenPom is adjusted for strength of schedule based on the efficiency numbers of the Four Factors /KenPomBot/

It's ranked by a Pythagorean (well similar to it) Method that compares how every team would do compared to the "average" team in the country. .5724 indicates that we would beat the "average" team in the NCAA (Texas A&M Corpus Christi) 57.24% of the time, while Penn State would beat the average team 57.04%.

If Wake played Nebraska-Omaha or Penn State on a neutral court I can almost guarantee you that it would be a toss-up game, or rated between +2/-2 either way. Just because the name Nebraska-Omaha doesn't mean anything to you doesn't mean they aren't a similar team to us because we are "Wake Forest".

Last edited:
Wake has certainly underachieved tremendously in the ACC to get to where we are, and it's hard to say that we don't have more talent than those teams, but the sum of our talents is roughly equivalent to Penn State and Nebraska-Omaha.

We have more talent than lower tier teams and we have the most talent we've had since our last NCAAT team. We've got 4 players who would get run for every other team in the ACC.

We have more talent than lower tier teams and we have the most talent we've had since our last NCAAT team. We've got 4 players who would get run for every other team in the ACC.

Yup. Crawford and Thomas would for sure.

Collins and Moore would see a fair amount of time depending on the front court situation. Dinos would be a pretty good stretch four for most teams as well.

Granted, I've had sick kids at home for the last week so I've been out of the loop, but I did not even know we had a game that night. Which is a good thing from the sounds of it.

Granted, I've had sick kids at home for the last week so I've been out of the loop, but I did not even know we had a game that night. Which is a good thing from the sounds of it.

Na you missed it, we played well.

I think the mantra for next year will be "we are a young team" that-plus possible transfers-will just see another rinse and repeat in DM's 3rd year. Probably no ACC road wins for the third year in a row and another dismal overall ACC record of 1-17. I just don't have the feeling that DM can get Wake on track again.

That's easy. We're better on average than those teams around us. If we were playing in those conferences, our record would be better. But we're not.

You are aware that record has very little to do with it (thus, the reason we are ranked near teams with 18-21 wins), right? And that Kenpom is not an outlier, as the other two ranking systems (RPI and BPI) have us in nearly the same spot? We could have 21 wins in a shitty conference and we would still be just as shitty of a team. We're the ultimate 2+2 = 3 team right now, and that's on the coach. There's no way we have the same individual talent as the teams surrounding us.

Last edited:
You are aware that record has very little to do with it (thus, the reason we are ranked near teams with 18-21 wins), right? And that Kenpom is not an outlier, as the other two ranking systems (RPI and BPI) have us in nearly the same spot? We could have 21 wins in a shitty conference and we would still be just as shitty of a team. We're the ultimate 2+2 = 3 team right now, and that's on the coach. There's no way we have the same individual talent as the teams surrounding us.

I didn't realize that KenPom was such a nuanced system that it added up all the talent evaluations of players expressed in numbers and was able to isolate how good of a team they should be and then added in coaching ability also expressed as a number and then was able to rank all teams in the country. Incredible! :squint:

I didn't realize that KenPom was such a nuanced system that it added up all the talent evaluations of players expressed in numbers and was able to isolate how good of a team they should be and then added in coaching ability also expressed as a number and then was able to rank all teams in the country. Incredible! :squint:

Another straw man slayed!!!

Back