• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

I don't think Elrod had any pre-existing connections to Bateman. His involvement should put to bed the stupid notion that this was just Elrod having dinner with former colleagues.

Bateman may have just used whatever info Elrod gave McCartney.

Remember that the Army leaks happened over two different seasons. Ray McCartney was implicated for accepting the information in the earlier season. That's probably where Bateman entered the picture, and the contact was probably renewed in 2016. Disappointed in McCartney!

McCartney is now coaching at Davidson. He has coached at 9 different colleges in his career; when assessing blame for this entire episode, the recipients of the info barely register with me. All those guys are mercenaries working on one year contracts, and if your unit has a bad year, you end up at Davidson or Stubensville Junior College or coaching at Ampipe HS. Wish that one of those guys had called out Elrod and stopped this long ago, but to me, all of the blame falls on Elrod. Can't imagine more evil behavior on the part of an university representative short of Jerry Sandusky conduct.

I think this will all be revisited again in late August and September in the national and local media. Have no idea who Jay Bateman is - assuming he doesn't star in Arrested Development on the side, but I can't imagine Navy or Air Force or ALL of Army's opponents next year will NOT raise this somehow during the week before their meetings against Army.

I know the climbing coach at Army pretty well so will see if he knows him at all. Judging by his fat fuck face, I doubt they cross paths at the climbing wall on campus.

I don't think Elrod had any pre-existing connections to Bateman. His involvement should put to bed the stupid notion that this was just Elrod having dinner with former colleagues.

How on earth would you know this? I'm guessing there are plenty of connected coaches out there that never actually worked together (coaching conferences, friends of friends, etc.).

Is your circle of friends/acquaintances limited to only those you work(ed) with?

Bateman allegedly would have been towards the top of the list to replace Elko so there's an argument this cost him a lot more than $25k.

Bateman allegedly would have been towards the top of the list to replace Elko so there's an argument this cost him a lot more than $25k.

Yeah. The week leading up to the Army game, Clawson was drooling over Bateman and his "multiple scheme" and talking about how they know each other.

He was also mentioned in rumors for the Elon HC job. Not as much money, obviously, but a move like that could pay off in the long run.

How on earth would you know this? I'm guessing there are plenty of connected coaches out there that never actually worked together (coaching conferences, friends of friends, etc.).

Is your circle of friends/acquaintances limited to only those you work(ed) with?

All I'm saying is that some people seemed to suggest that the situation simply involved Elrod getting together with guys from the old staff. During these times, he accidentally shared too much information. Bateman would appear to break from the mold of Galloway and McCartney. I guess Beamer does too for that matter. Moral of the story is that Elrod is a humongous POS. That is all.

McCartney is now coaching at Davidson. He has coached at 9 different colleges in his career; when assessing blame for this entire episode, the recipients of the info barely register with me. All those guys are mercenaries working on one year contracts, and if your unit has a bad year, you end up at Davidson or Stubensville Junior College or coaching at Ampipe HS. Wish that one of those guys had called out Elrod and stopped this long ago, but to me, all of the blame falls on Elrod. Can't imagine more evil behavior on the part of an university representative short of Jerry Sandusky conduct.

These guys are all scumbags and Wellman should hold a press conference just for the hell of it, to call them out on it and talk about how disappointed he is in Army etc., and keep it on the radar (as we are LOWF, afterall). Never gonna happen, but I'd enjoy the presser a lot.

All I'm saying is that some people seemed to suggest that the situation simply involved Elrod getting together with guys from the old staff. During these times, he accidentally shared too much information. Bateman would appear to break from the mold of Galloway and McCartney. I guess Beamer does too for that matter. Moral of the story is that Elrod is a humongous POS. That is all.

We also have Shane Beemer who had no Grobe connection to my knowledge.

There's right and there's wrong, there's truth and there's lying, there's honor and there's cheating and these things come up a million different ways in life and just because you might be a "mercenary" doesn't exempt you or justify the choices you make. With regard to character, those guys are on the same level as Elrod.

McCartney had much contempt for Wake since getting let go with Coach Grobe's staff so one had to figure he was a part of this at Army. Funny that while he was on this Army staff they still lost to Wake twice! He went to Army in 2014 when it was said they were involved in the WakeyLeaks investigation. Our WSJ writer Scott Hamilton divulged as much many weeks ago when he said the ex-Army coach was now at Davidson. He & Elrod held the same grudge apparently and went to unseen measures to express their grudge!����

There's right and there's wrong, there's truth and there's lying, there's honor and there's cheating and these things come up a million different ways in life and just because you might be a "mercenary" doesn't exempt you or justify the choices you make. With regard to character, those guys are on the same level as Elrod.

OK. That sounds great in theory on a message board. None of those guys are even close to the same level as Elrod.

We know of at least 4 assistants (Shane Beamer, Lonnie Galloway, Jay Bateman and Ray McCartney) that received information from Elrod, and there were likely others. Not one of these guys was fired by the coach that they assist under. This was a big story throughout college football and never heard a single coach say that any of these assistants should be fired. In competitive sports at the highest level, coaches look for every possible angle to get an advantage. The best coach in the NFL videotaped opposing teams practices, and broke league rules by video taping other teams game call signals (there was even an unsubstantiated report that when DC was the head coach at Bowling Green, he would direct grad assistants to sift through the trash cans of opposing schools to look for gameplan info). Again, I am not excusing the conduct of any coach that received the information that Elrod funneled to them, but it's apparent that the coaching world thinks that the appropriate sanction is a minor suspension and a fine. It's not a career ender.

What Elrod did (using his position with the university and the athletic department to gain confidential information from the WF football program, and then to seek out coaches from opposing teams to give to so they would have an advantage over the school that is paying him and the coaches that confided in him) is far worse and is a career ender, not just as football coach, but I can't imagine he could affiliate with any university every again.

Last edited:
McCartney had much contempt for Wake since getting let go with Coach Grobe's staff so one had to figure he was a part of this at Army. Funny that while he was on this Army staff they still lost to Wake twice! He went to Army in 2014 when it was said they were involved in the WakeyLeaks investigation. Our WSJ writer Scott Hamilton divulged as much many weeks ago when he said the ex-Army coach was now at Davidson. He & Elrod held the same grudge apparently and went to unseen measures to express their grudge!����

It is odd that McCartney had such animus. He came with Grobe, and is usual in the FB coaching business, was asked to leave with him. I'm not aware that he had any special ties to Wake beyond his coaching.

It is odd that McCartney had such animus. He came with Grobe, and is usual in the FB coaching business, was asked to leave with him. I'm not aware that he had any special ties to Wake beyond his coaching.

Well you can say the same about Elrod. He was able to keep his Wake ties and he still had animus. It was becoming clear Grobe and his staff thought they were entitled to keep cashing checks. This whole episode just confirmed it.

Last edited:
Well you can say the same about Elrod. It was becoming clear Grobe and his staff thought they were entitled to keep cashing checks. This whole episode just confirmed it.

Actually, no. Elrod was a former Wake football player, former Wake grad assistant and then coach. He was much more a "Wake guy" and less a football coach who had the usual career of moving to different schools and head coaches. Those connections to Wake beyond coaching are why he was given the job as broadcast analyst and his job with the endowment management company. Those additional ties and the fact that Wake took care of him (job wise) when Clawson chose not to hire him was what made his betrayal of Wake all the worse.

Stef Djordjevic says "fuck you." Don't lump Ampipe with those losers.

All-The-Right-Moves2.jpg

Back