• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

Someone previously mentioned Elrod writing a book. He could not use anyone's name without permission. He wouldn't be able to tell his story as some kind of victim. He would be sued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that's how it works.

You can use people's names without permission, and you can say anything you like if it is the truth, even if you paint it your own way, or as the victim. He just can't libel anyone, and even that is tough to prosecute in the US.

Autobiographies are currently legal in most states.

Libel is not, but that's all down to a bunch of factors depending on what he writes and who he writes it about.

ETA: ^ what he said

Elrod can write about anything he wants. He just can't libel anyone (which is to prepare a written false statement about a person that injures their reputation). Generally, stating an opinion "Clawson was a terrible coach" or "Clawson was doomed to fail at WF" is not libel (otherwise Trump would've bankrupted himself long ago). Elrod simply can't write a book full of lies "Clawson offered me a job as the OC, and then, changed his mind after sleeping with Warren Ruggiero's grandmother".

However, if Elrod signed a non-disclosure agreement with WF, ISP or the investment firm that he worked with, he could be enjoined from writing a book if it's suspected that that Elrod's work would reveal information that he agreed to not disclose.

Last edited:
However, if Elrod signed a non-disclosure agreement with WF, ISP or the investment firm that he worked with, he could be enjoined from writing a book if it's suspected that that Elrod's work would reveal information that he agreed to not disclose.

Wouldn't a job as a color analyst require some kind of non-disclosure agreement? Pertaining to football but I guess not personal information about coaches and staff etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it does now.

Autobiographies are currently legal in most states.

Libel is not, but that's all down to a bunch of factors depending on what he writes and who he writes it about.

ETA: ^ what he said

They're illegal in some states? I kinda thought the First Amendment applied everywhere

Last month, Army's defensive coordinator, Jay Bateman, was suspended and fined $25,000 by the U.S. Military Academy for simply being on the receiving end. Lt. General Robert L. Caslen Jr., West Point superintendent, stated poignantly:

"Our commitment is to foster a culture of excellence and winning in everything we do. . . . It does not mean that we win at all costs. Rather, it means winning in accordance with our values and who we are as an institution and a nation. When we win, we will do so honorably, remaining true to the values and standards that define us."

I had not seen this. Relieved to know it.

I had not seen this. Relieved to know it.

He was suspended for two weeks between NSD and the start of Spring practice. It was barely a slap on the wrist and disappointing coming from USMA.

The Philly writer makes the USMA reaction sound like more than it really was. Coach was fined, and the suspension was during a dead time for recruiting, so he might have already had a vacation planned. It's not like USMA suspended him for a game or anything.

Right. That's one thing that made the article farcical. Elrod leaked plays to the opposition and was punished. Those who accepted the plays by and large weren't punished.

The recipients were only punished when their schools had no other choice. The league did fine the two other ACC schools involved. I'm not sure Louisville would have done anything to Galloway if they didn't have to. But the external pressure was too much even for them to do nothing.

The only thing I found out in this whole thing is that cheating is evidently not an NCAA violation as there was no investigation or punishment for what these coaches did. Think about that for a moment.

The only thing I found out in this whole thing is that cheating is evidently not an NCAA violation as there was no investigation or punishment for what these coaches did. Think about that for a moment.
Depends upon the school. Unfortunately. If this scandal occurred with an Alabama announcer helping the opponent and costing Bama a title, you'd already have seen a 60 Minutes piece, a 30 for 30 and congressional hearings would be on c-span. That's just how slimy it is.

Then again, it's all about the student-athletes!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

probably happens all the time

Back