• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

I would also guess that th truth is not as bad as the press release sounds

I suppose anything is possible, but I have trouble believing that this is likely. The original Louisville revelation was a month ago. The entire country, outside of a small number of Wake fans, had completely forgotten about it. I can't imagine why Wake would choose to make a big deal out of this for no good reason. They could have easily fired him quietly and imposed whatever internal discipline (i.e. banishment from the program) without a press release. Not to mention that his employers certainly thought enough of it to fire him over it. I don't know, to me it sounds like this may have been a worst case scenario.

Either that, or it's the biggest overreaction in college sports history and we ruined a man's life and career over some minor indiscretion.

My gut tells me to go with the former, but who knows.

Yeah I think Grobe was one of the few left to have that policy. Can imagine how tight access will be now after this mess. Whoever, the new color guy is on the radio will probably be lucky to get a roster sheet before the broadcast.

Stan: Dave, as the new color guy what can you tell me about the key Wake Forest Players today?

Dave: Umm, they look like they are wearing black and gold uniforms? A little hard to tell at this distance.

I suppose anything is possible, but I have trouble believing that this is likely. The original Louisville revelation was a month ago. The entire country, outside of a small number of Wake fans, had completely forgotten about it. I can't imagine why Wake would choose to make a big deal out of this for no good reason. They could have easily fired him quietly and imposed whatever internal discipline (i.e. banishment from the program) without a press release. Not to mention that his employers certainly thought enough of it to fire him over it. I don't know, to me it sounds like this may have been a worst case scenario.

Either that, or it's the biggest overreaction in college sports history and we ruined a man's life and career over some minor indiscretion.

My gut tells me to go with the former, but who knows.
Bc Wellman and Clawson are both petty

Why give him the plays? He should be like any member of the media.

Did I miss this detail? I haven't seen it said that we actually gave him the plays. That said, there's an argument to be made for him having some inside info as linked above.

If he had nefarious intentions, isn't it perfectly reasonable that he used his access to the program as a previous player, previous coach and current radio analyst to take them? I mean, I'm sure playbooks get left laying around (or they did, before this), and it would be simple as hell to grab one and snap some photos.

Last edited:
I never said anything about an ulterior purpose

I would also guess that th truth is not as bad as the press release sounds

How could it not be as bad as it sounds?

He either did this or he didn't. Do you mean that he only gave our gameplan away a couple of times versus giving it to every opponent?

Again, the IMG gig was part time. He had a full time job at Verge Capital which he presumably got with a lot of help from Wellman (because I don't see how he was possibly qualified). He was probably making more money, not less, after Clawson passed him over (and given the quarterback situation when Clawson was hired, how could he not pass him over?).

Tommy has an undergraduate business degree and an MBA from Wake. He worked at BOA prior to becoming a grad assistant under Grobe. I believe the "real" job mainly involved marketing the company to other schools for management of their endowments.

Oh I see, DR is actually a friend of Elrod. Ergo his defense. There are Wake people on Scout too bashing those speaking out against Elrod, as if his emails and texts weren't part of the evidence. So many on Wake boards have an agenda, a narrative, in taking their positions on matters. That's as lamentable as anything else.

I know the Elrods. I know he was not happy after he wasn't retained by Clawson. I laughed at his snark on the radio, figuring he was still butt hurt. I also know Wellman thought very highly of him.

There is no way- no way- that Elrod is Wellman's scapegoat. Not even the slightest chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never said anything about an ulterior purpose

Well if you don't think it's as bad as the press release makes it sound, and the press release was issued because Wellman and Clausen are "petty", that ulterior purpose would be to humiliate Elrod and ruin his life, correct?

How could it not be as bad as it sounds?

He either did this or he didn't. Do you mean that he only gave our gameplan away a couple of times versus giving it to every opponent?
There's a space between mentioning strategies and plays between friends on other staffs and stealing/delivering playbooks. We don't know where this situation falls on that spectrum.

Sounds like Hardin is already drafting the 30 for 30 script.

Jimmy Quander. They were teammates for two years.

It's so very Wake Forest, and not in a good way, that a previous football player would represent a teammate and coach who is accused of selling the program down the river. Unless Elrod is absolutely 100% innocent, Quander is going to end up looking foolish and losing some friends/acquaintances over this. His ship is now tied to Elrod's from a Wake perspective. Hell, seeing as he's been a lawyer for Wake athletes in the past, it seems odd that he'd now put himself at odds with the AD. Can't be good for future business. The fact that he took the case actually stands out as a red flag to me against the AD's argument, though I still have trouble believing the evidence isn't overwhelming considering everything else surrounding the announcement.

Well if you don't think it's as bad as the press release makes it sound, and the press release was issued because Wellman and Clausen are "petty", that ulterior purpose would be to humiliate Elrod and ruin his life, correct?
No, that their interpretation of a situation is more dire than what most people would conclude

Back