• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

I think there are a lot of broadcasters who do games for their alma maters. He was a double Deacon, former football player in addition to being an ex employee

The Hornets dumped Dell Curry in '99. Better fire him from the broadcast team!

Are there broadcasters, who are also alumni, who were fired from a coaching job at their alma mater and then offered a broadcasting job solely dedicated to covering the school that just fired them (also their alma mater)? I really don't think that happens often.

As for Ph's question - I can't imagine that Wellman (or any future Wake AD) will ever allow a fired coach to have the same degree of access to the program (or any degree of access for that matter) after they're fired.

I'd quibble with calling him "fired". He wasn't retained, which is pretty normal in a coaching transition. And people have indicated that after his family tragedy he was looking to get out of coaching anyway. Not a typical "firing"

The Hornets dumped Dell Curry in '99. Better fire him from the broadcast team!

*98 and he was the last player remaining from the original team, iirc

There's a big difference between a [not re-hired] assistant coach and an unrestricted free agent in the twilight of his career.

We can split hairs all you like, but I don't see the issue with Ph's premise.

Grobe said Wednesday that for 13 years, his practices were open and held in the middle of campus for anyone to see. Clawson continued that policy as well, allowing Elrod complete access to the program not only as the radio broadcaster but as a football alum.

"For 13 years we had no indoor facility, no privacy," Grobe said. "Anybody could come and watch us just practice. So we had no secrets for 13 years and now all of a sudden that's a big deal. We never had the ability to keep people out of our practices, so anybody who wanted to come and watch and share what we did at practice could do that and we had no ability to stop it for 13 years. Now all of a sudden it's a big issue. I don't get it."

I'd quibble with calling him "fired". He wasn't retained, which is pretty normal in a coaching transition. And people have indicated that after his family tragedy he was looking to get out of coaching anyway. Not a typical "firing"

I didn't use that language in my initial post for this reason. Fire, not re-hire, not retained. Call it whatever you like. It seems reasonable to suggest that the move might've resulted in some bad blood that festered for awhile.

The situation is still a bit odd and I don't think it really happens that often, though I'm open to cases in which it did.

if Wellman couldn't see that [Redacted] would be a complete train wreck (unlike the rest of the free world) how could he have predicted this?

So, you're saying that Dell is the reason why the Hornets drafted the Tank? Interesting premise.

Very possible.

Curry didn't just ride off into the sunset after he was "not re-hired," to borrow your phrase. He clearly wanted to continue playing, and believed he was capable of contributing in that role, as evidenced by his four seasons in MIL and TOR. The Hornets thought otherwise and let him go.

Elrod (apparently) wanted to continue coaching, and (probably) believed he was capable of contributing in that role. Clawson thought otherwise and let him go. However, Elrod had an even longer and seemingly deeper relationship with WFU than Curry did with the Hornets. Not only that, WFU attempted to soften the blow by getting him the radio job and the job with Verger.

Maybe there were some underlying or personality factors that should have tipped Wellman off, but if Elrod's Friend of Twenty Years DonaldRoss didn't see them, I'm guessing they weren't too overt

ETA: I guess if there was a financial motive behind this, it would not be at all apropos to compare the two, but I haven't seen any indication of that, only speculation

Last edited:
Grobe said Wednesday that for 13 years, his practices were open and held in the middle of campus for anyone to see. Clawson continued that policy as well, allowing Elrod complete access to the program not only as the radio broadcaster but as a football alum.

"For 13 years we had no indoor facility, no privacy," Grobe said. "Anybody could come and watch us just practice. So we had no secrets for 13 years and now all of a sudden that's a big deal. We never had the ability to keep people out of our practices, so anybody who wanted to come and watch and share what we did at practice could do that and we had no ability to stop it for 13 years. Now all of a sudden it's a big issue. I don't get it."

Where did these quotes come from?

Most former assistant coaches go and get coaching jobs elsewhere so it's not really an issue.

My question again for people who don't think Wellman or Clawson bear any responsibility: How do we make sure something like this doesn't happen again?

I hate Wellman more than just about anybody.

You are being antagonistic on this point for the sake of being antagonistic. Stop it.

We can't 100% stop this from happening again. It just isn't possible to prevent all bad things from happening. Move out of Candyland already. Jesus tap dancing Christ.

Let's just say that Steve Smith won't be the Panthers radio guy for a long whole now

And now they have these fancy phones that let you TAKE PICTURES and send them to your loved ones through the CLOUDS!!! It's amazing but I don't get it.

Maybe there were some underlying or personality factors that should have tipped Wellman off, but if Elrod's Friend of Twenty Years DonaldRoss didn't see them, I'm guessing they weren't too overt

Yeah, I agree with you on this one.

I'm not faulting Wellman or the AD for not seeing this coming. It's pretty shocking. I'm just saying that in hindsight, Elrod's situation (player-coach-[not re-hired]-commentator/Verger) does seem a bit strange. Perhaps the way to avoid this particular situation from happening again is to just make sure not to hire any [not re-hired] individuals in areas where they may come across potentially compromising information on a daily basis.

I still want to know how the evidence ended up in our locker room at UL. Gotta think a do-gooder from UL left it there. Why would there scouting report be in the opposing locker room?

Wake was trying to do a solid for an alumni, former player and coach who wasn't retained by a new coach and who had some bad family misfortune,

He repaid that kindness by stabbing us in the back.

I think Wake did the right thing here. Elrod is a douchebag of the highest order.

Army was contacted by Wake. They have no ex staff as far as I know.

For Jim Grobe to say that his practices were open for 13 years has nothing to do with this story. This is about a deliberate attempt by an individual to pass on propriety information to another institution in order to cause harm and or gain a monetary benefit.
What Grobe is talking about(spying) is non-transactional, only one party involved, the opposing team.

Last edited:
Back