• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

For Jim Grobe to say that his practices were open for 13 years has nothing to do with this story. This is about a deliberate attempt by an individual to pass on propriety information to another institution in order to cause harm and or gain a monetary benefit.
What Grobe is talking about(spying) is non-transactional, only one party involved, the opposing team.

I don't disagree with this statememt per se.

But the premise of your analogy is that the majority of people would not see the danger in his action. When in actuality, the majority of the people if not supermajority would see the danger in your premise. I can guarantee that if you searched the threads, there is not a single person suggesting that Elrod was the rat even with everyone knowing his coaching tenure and connections.

I don't remember a single person suggesting there was a rat at all.

I don't remember a single person suggesting there was a rat at all.

There are comments on the earlier thread about who at Wake might have been the source of the stuff found in the Louisville stadium prior to Wake's game there.

Let's say the basketball staff is fired and it was decided to let Chill do color on the radio, not that crazy of a notion... would there be uproar about a potential security breach in the future? No way. You guys are going all hindsight bias on us... what Elrod did was fairly insane and unforeseeable.

Grobe sounds like a naive, senile, old fart.

Between this stuff and taking the Baylor job (and his comments), it's like he is a different guy than we all thought he was. Then again, he took some parting shots at Wake on the way out.

Let's say the basketball staff is fired and it was decided to let Chill do color on the radio, not that crazy of a notion... would there be uproar about a potential security breach in the future? No way. You guys are going all hindsight bias on us... what Elrod did was fairly insane and unforeseeable.

Or better yet, if Rusty LaRue were doing color right now.

Now that I have the Louisville statement, as a WF alum I'm furious with Elrod. He had the legal right to do this but it's wrong. We should have never fired a man then shared our future plays with him. Elrod is a traitor. We are negligent for not recognizing that he could be.

I stopped reading this thread at this point for now so others have probably already said this, but, I had to chime in... I don't understand what you are thinking with this victim blaming stuff, DR. I really think you are smarter than this. We didn't just fire the guy - we didn't retain him but we (Wake Forest) gave him not one but two new jobs. He was an alum, a former player, a former coach, a current radio guy - he was part of the family. There was no reason that anyone would suspect that he would do this and there was no way we were negligent in giving him access. Hell, as far as I know, NO ONE has ever done this. How could we predict an unprecedented event?

I think that you're both right.

ETA: By which I mean that it's a very Wake problem to not rehire an assistant coach and then hire that coach to be a color commentator. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I can't imagine that happens often. It's not like Mark Jackson calling Warriors games.

You guys know Dinger was an assistant coach for us too, right? It's not that weird. He was let go during a coaching change, as most assistants are.

Now Im starting to worry this is all going to come back full circle with proof Grobe was cheating in 2006

Yep, pretty much this. Definitely not a crazy notion either given that he did some broadcasting of exhibition games for us when he was in his non-coaching position.

This.

Jesus Christ, y'all.

I am thankful for 2006, but we were all snowed by good ole boy Jim.

For me, things started to change with the Arkansas fiasco. Jim always talked about how much he loved MSD because ' it was such a special place', then agreed to go to Arkansas. Nothing wrong with Arkansas, but it is almost the opposite of the Wake Grove said he loved so much.

That episode taught me grobe cared more about his coaches than the players, the program or Wake. Now these quotes only reinforce that belief.

Why are you jackasses arguing about Grobe, when there is a jaw dropping statement out from Jurich? There's no way this fucking guy ran that statement by anyone before releasing it. Fucking Louisville needs to know only the Tarheels get to cheat punishment free in this league!

Back