• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/FSU game thread

Ty going out was trouble, Carson picking up his 3rd foul 30 seconds into the 2nd half was when I knew we'd lose by 20. Without Ty we have no choice but to go to Green and Nikita to protect Carson, and it was just a dunk-fest at that point against a big, deep, talented FSU front court.

With Ty in our defense really was excellent. We left him isolated and defended the 3 very well. If McKie doesn't throw up the worst performance of his career in the first half we're probably leading at the half.

FSU's a great team with strength everywhere. [Redacted] tried to stick with the game plan without Ty and we went down 10. Then we went to the zone and couldn't rebound and went down 15. Then we doubled the post and they started hitting 3's and we were down 20. They went 3/9 from deep in the first half, then went 5/7 in the second when we had to help inside. FSU is a team that plays great defense and can exploit pretty much any weakness on any team except for point guard play.

It would suck to lose Ty for Clemson, since we have a good shot against them. Lost in the 2nd half debacle were really solid performances from Nikita and Chennault. Outside of the top 3 (Duke, UNC, FSU), if we can keep Ty on the floor and get that kind of play from those two guys, I think this team can play with anyone, even if CJ or McKie aren't having great nights.

Still think Ty should apply for a mental red-shirt for his freshman year.

Great post. Guys are really stepping up their games.

Can someone with basketball knowledge explain to me how 240 lbs for Carson is not the same as 240 lbs for James? Why did it look like Carson weighed 40 lbs less? Is it really just attitude? Footwork? Smarts? I was just assuming that James had 30-40 lbs on Carson, and was shocked to find out they weigh the same.

Can someone with basketball knowledge explain to me how 240 lbs for Carson is not the same as 240 lbs for James? Why did it look like Carson weighed 40 lbs less? Is it really just attitude? Footwork? Smarts? I was just assuming that James had 30-40 lbs on Carson, and was shocked to find out they weigh the same.

One is muscle and knowing how to use it. The other is not.

One difference is that Carson is 19 and James is ex military and a ripe old college age of 27.

It's pretty clear that Bz's gameplan requires more/better shooters, and a defensive eraser like Ty. Do any of our current recruits fit that bill?

One difference is that Carson is 19 and James is ex military and a ripe old college age of 27.

Bingo. Carson stores a lot of very useless weight in his legs. Slows him down, reduces his vertical, makes him easy to push around or slip by on screens.

James is a ripped athlete with distributed weight and an extremely lean, muscular 240 pounds. He's just a beast.

fsujames_0.jpg

1087746401_UvpAP-L.jpg

I've always believed hand strength is really important as well. Carson (and Ty) just have really weak hands and not much of a base.

Back