• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/FSU game thread

There are two distinct groups of BzzInners, based on my observations. The first group, no matter how poorly we play, will insist that it was "good basketball" and they're "encouraged" by our performance. See Tau's post on the previous page for an example. Even the State game can be dismissed as a fluke.

The second group is at least in touch enough with reality to recognize a poor performance when they see it. However, there's always some excuse for the lackluster play: We're too young, We're not deep enough, Walker/Harris missed the game, and so forth and so on.

The unofficial motto of the first group appears to be "No performance too bad." That of the second is ostensibly "No excuse too flimsy."

Why do I get looped in with being out of touch with reality for my post? We were outmanned in the post and this is the worst possible team for Travis to play matchup-wise. That's seeing things as a reality in my opinion. I liked that Bzz tried to set Travis up with open corner shots that he has hit at a decent clip for most of the season. Certainly didn't work out tonight but not a terrible idea given the guys defending him.

It's always going to be tough game offensively when you have only 2 real offensive options going against on of the better defensive teams in the country that has more athletes than you at every position. Did I say WF played great? No not at all. Read my post again and tell me what I said was being anything other than rational. It's not a large stretch to think bringing in more post players, and more perimeter talent, added to Travis and CJ, leads to some cautious optimism for next season. If you think I mean competing for the ACC next season you are the one out of touch with reality.

Ty Walker would have been worth over a 18 point+ swing in a half? Really?

Assuming you watched the game, I don't know how you could say we had a chance after Walker went out. FSU understood that we had no way to stop them inside without giving up wide open threes, and they exploited it well. There's a reason they scored 17 more points in the second half than in the first (there's your "point swing").

And I don't know how you could say we wouldn't have had a chance with Walker, since we played a very competitive first half while he was in, and were down only 6 despite a ton of turnovers, which we remedied in the second half. So yes, Ty Walker would have given us a chance to win a game that we ended up losing by 23. If you want to call that "worth an 18 point swing," go ahead.

This has nothing to do with making excuses for Bz. If he were a better defensive coach, we could have figured out a way to stop them in the second half even without Walker. He didn't get it done. All I'm saying is, I think they could have gotten it done with Walker.

Why do I get looped in with being out of touch with reality for my post? We were outmanned in the post and this is the worst possible team for Travis to play matchup-wise. That's seeing things as a reality in my opinion. I liked that Bzz tried to set Travis up with open corner shots that he has hit at a decent clip for most of the season. Certainly didn't work out tonight but not a terrible idea given the guys defending him.

It's always going to be tough game offensively when you have only 2 real offensive options going against on of the better defensive teams in the country that has more athletes than you at every position. Did I say WF played great? No not at all. Read my post again and tell me what I said was being anything other than rational. It's not a large stretch to think bringing in more post players, and more perimeter talent, added to Travis and CJ, leads to some cautious optimism for next season. If you think I mean competing for the ACC next season you are the one out of touch with reality.

Stop being reasonable and acting like you can think reasonably and rationally. There's no place for that here. :plos:

Anyone who isn't interested in hating for hating's sake has to agree with your post. Sadly, they're more interested in showing their hatred for buzz than anything else. This board is turning into more of a clown show everyday.

.... Waiting for the ChrisL and dv7 attack to show to begin. Attack away boys, and I mean boys, no men to found among those two, I've got you on ignore and have for the past week. Awesome decision.

Last edited:
Observation
-We missed TY in the 2nd half..(big time)
-Chase has problems creating space between him and the defender
- TC has stepped up but still is either not on the same page as everyone or everyone has no clue where to go in transition.
- Nikita can't shoot
- Travis is in a slump but I am not worried about him.
- Green needs to show Ty and Carson how to bang down low
- I still see way too much standing around and nobody seems to know how to crash the boards.
- I am sorry Buzzin crowd but I cannot see how this team still looks like a pick-up team.
- FSU fans need to realize that this team lost to Wofford....quit being obnoxious!
- Leonard Hamilton kept his starters in up 25 with 2 minutes left...classy!
- We have the players to win some more ACC games if our chemistry ever develops.

Actually no he didn't. He had in Peterson, Whisnet, White, Kreft and Space played the final 3 with a couple walk-ons mixed in. Like RJ said before the game, it would be won down low and with 30 points scored in paint, that was clearly the case. Losing Walker hurt you guys tremendously as he really was bothering our big men.

Stop being reasonable and acting like you can think reasonably and rationally. There's no place for that here. :plos:

Anyone who isn't interested in hating for hating's sake has to agree with your post. Sadly, they're more interested in showing their hatred for buzz than anything else. This board is turning into more of a clown show everyday.

.... Waiting for the ChrisL and dv7 attack to show to begin. Attack away boys, and I mean boys, no men to found among those two, I've got you on ignore and have for the past week. Awesome decision.

So you're talking shit on an Internet message board to people who might respond, but you'll never know it because you've placed them on ignore. Simultaneously tilting at windmills and playing peek-a-boo with the same windmills. Manly man is manly!

12325638.jpg

Observation
-
- Leonard Hamilton kept his starters in up 25 with 2 minutes left...classy!

WGAF. Play better defense. Is he supposed to put shit players in so we can make the game less of an embarrassment for ourselves?

OGB never referenced you, actually.

uhhhhh.....ok.....

There are two distinct groups of BzzInners, based on my observations. The first group, no matter how poorly we play, will insist that it was "good basketball" and they're "encouraged" by our performance. See Tau's post on the previous page for an example.

I just don't buy the whole "take your players off the field when you're up at the end of the game" thing.

and 23 isn't quite a blowout, IMO

i knew it would get bad once Ty went out, or didn't come back i should say. hope he recovers quickly...this team really needs him!

FSU is playing as well as anyone in the country right now, and was bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic than we were at just about every position. And deeper. Beating the new and improved FSU, Dook and UNC this year just isn't going to happen. Accept it move on. Hopefully Ty will be OK. He has been a pretty good interior defender and rebounder this year. We desperately need that.

IMO Wake is just as good and prolly better half the teams in the conference and are getting better. It woudn't be far fetched for them to win a couple games in the ACC tourney, IMO. The only team in the ACC that I can't see them beating is UNC.

I don't think they would have won last night had Walker gone out but they wouldn't have lost by as many as they did and we wouldn't have had our way down low in the 2nd half. We would have had to knock down more jumpers for sure!

FSU is playing as well as anyone in the country right now, and was bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic than we were at just about every position. And deeper. Beating the new and improved FSU, Dook and UNC this year just isn't going to happen. Accept it move on. Hopefully Ty will be OK. He has been a pretty good interior defender and rebounder this year. We desperately need that.

Facepalm

Did you watch the game? FSU looked like shit in the first half.

IMO Wake is just as good and prolly better half the teams in the conference and are getting better. It woudn't be far fetched for them to win a couple games in the ACC tourney, IMO. The only team in the ACC that I can't see them beating is UNC.

I don't think they would have won last night had Walker gone out but they wouldn't have lost by as many as they did and we wouldn't have had our way down low in the 2nd half. We would have had to knock down more jumpers for sure!

Did YOU watch the game? We're beyond terrible. Remember when NC State beat us by 30+?

I don't know if this is some bizarre attempt at blowing sunshine up everyone's ass since you're an FSU fan but 99% of the people on the board know that is insane.

cup_of_LOL_LOL-s448x394-48055-580.gif

Ty going out was trouble, Carson picking up his 3rd foul 30 seconds into the 2nd half was when I knew we'd lose by 20. Without Ty we have no choice but to go to Green and Nikita to protect Carson, and it was just a dunk-fest at that point against a big, deep, talented FSU front court.

With Ty in our defense really was excellent. We left him isolated and defended the 3 very well. If McKie doesn't throw up the worst performance of his career in the first half we're probably leading at the half.

FSU's a great team with strength everywhere. [Redacted] tried to stick with the game plan without Ty and we went down 10. Then we went to the zone and couldn't rebound and went down 15. Then we doubled the post and they started hitting 3's and we were down 20. They went 3/9 from deep in the first half, then went 5/7 in the second when we had to help inside. FSU is a team that plays great defense and can exploit pretty much any weakness on any team except for point guard play.

It would suck to lose Ty for Clemson, since we have a good shot against them. Lost in the 2nd half debacle were really solid performances from Nikita and Chennault. Outside of the top 3 (Duke, UNC, FSU), if we can keep Ty on the floor and get that kind of play from those two guys, I think this team can play with anyone, even if CJ or McKie aren't having great nights.

Still think Ty should apply for a mental red-shirt for his freshman year.

Our lack of depth and lack of big guys overcame our tough play for about 25-30 minutes. We fix the depth next year. Let's hope at least one of the big can really come through and we can make up for some of the size with depth and intensity.

Back