• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - Going Back to Cali for the NCAA Title; Women: May 17-22; Men May 24-29

I mean we're consistently ranked among the top two or three teams in the ACC every year coming into the tournament our streak of not winning is remarkable.

While true, we literally, not figuratively, literally have absolutely nothing to show for it. Not one postseason success.

While true, we literally, not figuratively, literally have absolutely nothing to show for it. Not one postseason success.
I mean we do have 4 or 5 top-five finishes during that time nationally and have won some ncaa regionals

So, we've won nothing, thank you. With the talent we have it's insane we haven't even won the ACC, let alone the big one.

So, we've won nothing, thank you. With the talent we have it's insane we haven't even won the ACC, let alone the big one.
We probably had close to as many top 10 finishes in the NCAA during that time as we had top three finishers in the ACC tournament. That's remarkable because it's harder to finish top 10 in the NCAA then it is top three in the ACC tournament by a great margin.

Complete topic change, but is there any chance that we see OTC toss their hat in the ring for another ACC Champ? It's been since '63(?) since they last hosted and it seems like the tournament is going to get passed around a little bit away from North State.

I get it's a significant home course advantage for Wake and that some of the ACC schools see it yearly, but with CCNC Dogwood and Charlotte CC it seems like OTC might try for one?

Given the players that the program has produced, it's verges on the unfathomable that WF has not won an ACC title in 32 years. As just a small example, Zalatoris and Cam Young are 25 and 24 years-old and rated in the top 50 in the World; Texas may be the only the college that can claim two players 25 and under who are rated un the top 50 right now (and not sure they can). With that said, to say WF has "won nothing" in 32 years is a little harsh. Not sure why an NCAA regional title or finishing in the top 4 in the country "is nothing" in golf; yet, a huge achievement in NCAA basketball, baseball or now football. It's an achievement to be one of the 8 golf programs to advance to the NCAA matchplay round. When WF golf built its dynasty, WF was about the only school that made college golf a priority. Now, many do with top rated courses, state of the art practice facilities, big time travel budgets. Even so, WF remains a top program. Just got to stay after it and hope that WF has a hot weekend when the ACCT rolls around.

Last edited:
The Wake women aren't allowed to play Sedgefield CC even though the tournament doesn't come back to Sedgefield until next year. I doubt the coaches would agree to hold the tournament at Wake's home course.

I do think the women are hosting a regional at Bermuda Run next year.

Yes, I’ve always thought the mens program has been a serious underperformer at the conference level as well as the national stage given the talent we’ve had. Seems like Duke basketball: tons of talent, hard to win a national title. On the other hand, they have owned the conference. Maybe the women’s coach should handle the men?

ACC coaches voted that if any venue has been named to host the conference tournament no mater how far out kids aren't allowed to play the course. To show you the absurdity of how a few of the ACC coaches feel about competitive advantage consider this...tonight Sedgefield is hosting the Wake's women's team for a meet and greet and fundraiser. The original plan was to have it outside at the short game practice facility to make it more fun and have a closest chip to the hole contest. The ACC coaches decided that we could hold the reception at SCC but the women would not be allowed to be on any part of the golf course or practice area. Seems petty but the event will still be great but held inside the clubhouse. I guess rules are rules....

Yes, I’ve always thought the mens program has been a serious underperformer at the conference level as well as the national stage given the talent we’ve had. Seems like Duke basketball: tons of talent, hard to win a national title. On the other hand, they have owned the conference. Maybe the women’s coach should handle the men?

She is a far, far better coach than the glorified babysitter with a famous last name.

ACC coaches voted that if any venue has been named to host the conference tournament no mater how far out kids aren't allowed to play the course. To show you the absurdity of how a few of the ACC coaches feel about competitive advantage consider this...tonight Sedgefield is hosting the Wake's women's team for a meet and greet and fundraiser. The original plan was to have it outside at the short game practice facility to make it more fun and have a closest chip to the hole contest. The ACC coaches decided that we could hold the reception at SCC but the women would not be allowed to be on any part of the golf course or practice area. Seems petty but the event will still be great but held inside the clubhouse. I guess rules are rules....

That is wild. So they can't even go play on their free time or anything, or just as a team event?

Don't think OTC would host the tourney anyways, but for sure they'd never agree to it after hearing this.

That is wild. So they can't even go play on their free time or anything, or just as a team event?

Don't think OTC would host the tourney anyways, but for sure they'd never agree to it after hearing this.

Yeah this is absurd. There's no way they can say you can't play x or y course on your free time, or even stop an "unorganized" group of individuals who all happen to play for the same team to play a course that they're invited to by a member or pro. There has to be somebody on some team in the ACC that's a member at Charlotte CC or CCNC, what happens then, move the whole thing?

What a stupid rule for so many reasons.

Deacs are the 4 seed for the ACC Championship starting tomorrow (UNC, GT and ND are the top 3 seeds).

WF's lineup is:

#1 Michael Brennan (#17 ranked am in the World)
#2 Alex Fitzpatick (#6 ranked am in the World)
#3 Parker Gillam
#4 Scotty Kennon
#5 Mark Power

Two stroke play rounds tomorrow; one on Saturday; top 4 advance to matchplay on Sunday and Monday.

WF will be wearing long pants because it has worked so well over the past 32 ACC Championships.

Link for more details: https://godeacs.com/news/2022/4/20/mens-golf-no-17-deacs-ready-to-begin-postseason-play-at-acc-championships.aspx

Last edited:
No doubt. When your #5 player is T3 through the first 9, got to take advantage.

Yes, two rounds today; one round tomorrow. Top 4 advance.

Back