• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf - NCAA Men's Regional

The Deacs ended up tied for 7th today at +10, 3 shots out of 5th place. It was a roller coaster back 9 as they dropped as low as 12th, then got back to 6th and finished at 7th. They held their ground as several other teams struggled.
Overall a decent day with a good opportunity to finish in the top 5 tomorrow.

We played the last 4 holes +8 today. Unreal how those 4 holes have absolutely crushed us.

We played the last 4 holes +8 today. Unreal how those 4 holes have absolutely crushed us.

We did struggle on 15-18, but we started on the back 9 today so our last 4 holes were 6-9 and we played them at -2.

The funny thing is that you look at the other teams right around our score, and none of them are struggling on those 4 holes to nearly the same extent we are.

Looks like we will have a guy come in DFL for individual score. I find it hard to believe that we can't find someone that can beat the worst guy at places like Charleston Southern, UNCW, Iowa, Loyola-MD, etc.

We have two very good players (one graduates and the other will be a senior next year) and a bunch of guys who haven't shown they belong at an ACC program. This is nothing new. The fact is Wake golf is very average and that shows no sign of changing. I know many blame Title IX and keep apologizing for Haas, but at some point we either need to go in another direction or accept mediocrity. For all I know Wellman already has made that choice.

How many private schools have won the NCAA team championship since Wake won their last?

1986 Wake Forest
1987 Oklahoma State
1988 UCLA
1989 Oklahoma
1990 Arizona State
1991 Oklahoma State
1992 Arizona
1993 Florida
1994 Stanford
1995 Oklahoma State (playoff)
1996 Arizona State
1997 Pepperdine
1998 UNLV
1999 Georgia
2000 Oklahoma State
2001 Florida
2002 Minnesota
2003 Clemson
2004 California
2005 Georgia
2006 Oklahoma State
2007 Stanford
2008 UCLA
2009 Texas A&M
2010 Augusta State
2011 Augusta State

2. Stanford and Pepperdine (WFU finished 2nd that year).

People can blame Title IX all they want, but given the support of our golf program, PGA alumni, and former prestige, the current state of the team is pathetic. Golf obviously is an individual sport, but at some point the blame must be put on leadership. I'm well past that point.

Oklahoma State failed to qualify for the NCAA Finals for the first time in the 65 year history of their program.

WOW.

Must have missed it but where has anyone talked down the FSU athletic department? Is the FSU football team over-rated every year? yes. Do they usually run Baseball, Track and Field, and several other sports? yes. Much of the FSU stuff is coming from FSU thinking the ACC screws them over every year when in fact the ACC basically tried to gift wrap them the ACC Atlantic Title every year and FSU couldn't do anything but flounder that away year after year.

Gotcha although I've never believed that the ACC was out to screw FSU. That would be stupidest thing I've ever heard with all the success FSU has had and how it can benefit the conference. Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Back