• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Law School

As an aside, by and large, I think lawyers are a fairly unintelligent, lazy bunch of people. Particularly young lawyers. I wish the bar passage rate was less than 50%. OK, back to my trial prep work...

I think most people are unintelligent and lazy...

I met a lawyer this past weekend who thought it was a good idea to make Jew jokes in mixed company. He is from Alabama. Southern lawyers are the worst #anecdotes

the law school. i'd be fine with alabama too while we're at it.

guess none of y'all dinguses ever heard of a fella named matlock

I met a lawyer this past weekend who thought it was a good idea to make Jew jokes in mixed company. He is from Alabama. Southern lawyers are the worst #anecdotes

Please tell me he was wearing seersucker.

did he have the face of a young paul newman dressed like matlock?

Atticus Finch would be SO PISSED if he was a real person

No seersucker but defs a bowtie. He had the face of an overweight Leo DiCaprio, and was shorter. Went to Ole Miss law school, so he's super cultured.

Honestly, I'm not really surprised. From doing OCI at Wake for years, the quality of student has really seemed to drop over the past few years. From this past fall, I only had two people who I would even consider for a summer clerkship, let alone a full time job. The entire day was basically a waste of time. Talking with some of the other attorneys during breaks, they were saying the same thing.
At the other end of the spectrum, the typical Carolina student seems to have gotten much stronger. I think the smarter kids now recognize the value of the reduced debt load, so are steering towards the lower cost option. Wake and its tuition are left with the leftovers.

Sweet anecdotes. Class of 2013 at Wake probably does suck, but to be a huge homer, Class of 2014 is awesome (shout-out to StopMakingSense and BulldeacLaw). Good chunk from it ended up in Charlotte working for a range of firms (international biglaw firms, midsize, boutique). Didn't send as much to Raleigh, but being a private school I know a lot of people who got firm jobs in NY, Ohio, NJ, DC, etc. I wasn't that impressed with the UNC law students I met as part of call-backs or working with in the summers. Random aside, it seems like UNC steers a lot more of their students to public interest work as well. They let me take part in call-back interviews this year and I did not notice any difference in quality between the UNC and Wake students. I was surprised at how many of the UNC students were from "Atlanta", not the city in decline but the rich suburbs.

Takeaway: Wake law class of 2013 sucked and Dean Morant leaving hurt. Wake law is an equal program to UNC. Charlotte School of Law is a plague on this state.

Great hire!!! Dean Reynolds is a perfect fit for the job.

Back