• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - Louisville thread.... Strippers, Hoes and Basketball

I don’t think they’re talking recruiting rankings. There is way too much stock put into recruiting rankings unless you’re getting the Guys Dook is and it’s obvious they’re future pros. They’re talking once the kids set foot on the floor for wake forest if they can play or not. The majority of guys manning has brought in can’t play. His coaching is also horrendous.

Doral would absolutely start at UVA over Jack Salt. Maybe Crawford.

Doral would absolutely start at UVA over Jack Salt. Maybe Crawford.

No evidence of that head to head. Regardless, if we have to debate if we have one or two ACC players, pretty clear why we have 1 win. All that is on Manning, but the focus on his coaching is secondary to recruiting.

Worst performance of the season by the Deacs and there have been plenty of contenders. Childress and Crawford don't belong on the floor together. Unfortunately, with Woods and Wilbekin injured the options are limited. So many senseless, stupid turnovers and nonexistent defense. The coaching and play are getting worse as the season progresses. A twenty loss season seems imminent.

Virginia is ranked #2 in the country. How much higher were their classes ranked than Wake's? How many NBA all-stars on that roster? Any McDonalds AA's.

I am not 100% sure but I doubt thir numbers are vastly better than ours.[/QUOTE

Don't have any clue about rankings, but who on our team starts at UVa? No one. Not even close. We lose because of a massive talent gap. One ACC win does not happen due to coaching - it happens because our players are not competitive.

This is bullshit logic. Coaching absolutely has to do with your wins and losses. Talent alone won’t make a coach successful just as sub-par talent isn’t entirely to blame for a lack of success. And for the record, 2017’s class rankings had Wake at 38 and UVA at 99. Year before, UVA was at 7 and Wake was at 62. Year before that, Wake was at 30 and UVA was at 62. Our talent has not been the problem under Manning, and regardless of next year’s recruits, I don’t see us improving like we should with DM. He’s a terrible coach. Hate to say it, but four years in and the best he’s done is underutilize a stud PF, place 10th in conference, sneak us into the play-in game and lose. #Manningout

No evidence of that head to head. Regardless, if we have to debate if we have one or two ACC players, pretty clear why we have 1 win. All that is on Manning, but the focus on his coaching is secondary to recruiting.

I very much disagree. A great coach will get great recruits, not the other way around.

ETA: Consistently getting great recruits comes from being a great coach and having a successful program. Outside of proximity bias for a recruit choosing a local program, Manning is going to have a really hard time recruiting if he can’t prove he’s a good coach first. Look at Chaundee. Manning is finally starting to play him more and that dude chose us over Kansas. Am willing to bet he regrets that decision right about now.

Last edited:
You know how clueless people say that no one plays defense in the NBA? I flipped from the Wake game to the Golden State-Boston game, and the D in this NBA game is so much better than the Wake game.

This is probably a topic for another thread, but I don’t understand how people who claim to be basketball fans can hate on the NBA.

Virginia is ranked #2 in the country. How much higher were their classes ranked than Wake's? How many NBA all-stars on that roster? Any McDonalds AA's.

I am not 100% sure but I doubt thir numbers are vastly better than ours.[/QUOTE

Don't have any clue about rankings, but who on our team starts at UVa? No one. Not even close. We lose because of a massive talent gap. One ACC win does not happen due to coaching - it happens because our players are not competitive.

They would start after a year of training by Bennet. The recruiting rankings are similar. Something happens after they get to Wake. Could be Bennet knows what he is doing more than our tall guy.
You think Craw plays the same way for Bennet? You think Moore would not be an excellent player at UVA?

This is probably a topic for another thread, but I don’t understand how people who claim to be basketball fans can hate on the NBA.

Agreed. NBA basketball is played at such a high level now.

This is bullshit logic. Coaching absolutely has to do with your wins and losses. Talent alone won’t make a coach successful just as sub-par talent isn’t entirely to blame for a lack of success. And for the record, 2017’s class rankings had Wake at 38 and UVA at 99. Year before, UVA was at 7 and Wake was at 62. Year before that, Wake was at 30 and UVA was at 62. Our talent has not been the problem under Manning, and regardless of next year’s recruits, I don’t see us improving like we should with DM. He’s a terrible coach. Hate to say it, but four years in and the best he’s done is underutilize a stud PF, place 10th in conference, sneak us into the play-in game and lose. #Manningout

I don't see how talent is the number 1 issue. Not deflecting blame from Manning, but our guys are not better than the competition. Talent is issue #1 under Bz and Manning. Rankings are not relevant. So tell me who starts on other ACC teams? Craw under control - probably. Moore perhaps if he developed. Thompson - no. Wilbekin - no. Brown - probably. Childress - no. Sarr - no. Woods - no. So we have little talent compared to the rest of the league and our record proves it. No one - K, Roy, whoever can change that.

and the rest of the team would not see the floor until mop up time. So we have about 1.5 starters playing 5. And if you think Uva guys are equal to ours you are watching with your eyes closed. Coaching does not change from uncompetitive to a national champion contender.

So I agree Manning is bad, but the dialogue need to change from coaching to recruiting. The sentiment is he does recruiting well, but that is issue #1.

Last edited:
I think it's time to drop this socks thing. Bz was an idiot, but that came from the mouth of John Wooden.

No, it's not time to drop it. This came from the asshole we call an Athletic Director. Ron Wellman. It did not come from [Redacted]. Wellman repeated the John Wooden phrase on several post-game interviews.

No, it's not time to drop it. This came from the asshole we call an Athletic Director. Ron Wellman. It did not come from [name redacted]. Wellman repeated the John Wooden phrase on several post-game interviews.

I was unaware of that. Thanks. Since it was Wellman, it should never be dropped.

I don't see how talent is the number 1 issue. Not deflecting blame from Manning, but our guys are not better than the competition. Talent is issue #1 under Bz and Manning. Rankings are not relevant. So tell me who starts on other ACC teams? Craw under control - probably. Moore perhaps if he developed. Thompson - no. Wilbekin - no. Brown - probably. Childress - no. Sarr - no. Woods - no. So we have little talent compared to the rest of the league and our record proves it. No one - K, Roy, whoever can change that.

and the rest of the team would not see the floor until mop up time. So we have about 1.5 starters playing 5. And if you think Uva guys are equal to ours you are watching with your eyes closed. Coaching does not change from uncompetitive to a national champion contender.

So I agree Manning is bad, but the dialogue need to change from coaching to recruiting. The sentiment is he does recruiting well, but that is issue #1.

Disagree. We are getting beat by teams that cannot sniff our talent level. Liberty, for Christ sakes. Coaching is not just bringing a player to campus and putting him on the floor. It includes teaching defense and how to maximize potential. How to play as a team. College coaches need to inspire.

It is not just a recruiting issue if the best experts in the field rate our classes as on par with many others in the ACC but our product looks weaker.

Feel bad for Key, he looks like he's at about 60%. Not really sure he should be out there.

"insider" reports that there is actually nothing medically wrong with Key...wish him well. Hope he overcomes whatever is bothering him.

I am not 100% sure but I doubt thir numbers are vastly better than ours.

This would be a fascinating comparison. I was wondering what the players currently on UVa's roster were rated out of HS. Bennett turns a bunch of no- names into a top 5 team with defense and discipline. Concepts totally lost this Wake team.

Agree now. 10 years ago I think there was room for debate.

Manning has done a poor job in many aspects of coaching this year, but the play of Key and Crawford are the primary reasons for our dreadful season. They were to be our leaders, by default, on and off the court and have done a dreadful job with their subpar play and attitudes. Manning, obviously, does not seem to be able to motivate them in their play or correct their attitudes. That is a knock on both players and their coaches. We need more talent and a new attitide on this team. If Crawford and Key leave after this year, we are left with a lack of depth and talent at the guard position, but their crappy attitudes will be gone. However, it is Mannings job to correct their attitudes. What a mess...

Back