• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Men's Soccer Spring 2011

Still nothing? Not even an official writeup from Sports Marketing yet... maybe Tuffalo was there? :(

JV comments on the last 2 games and the Spring Season:

Wake Forest Men’s Soccer Spring Wrap-Up

The Demon Deacons closed out a successful spring season last weekend

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Wake Forest men’s soccer team closed out a successful spring season last weekend with a doubleheader against Mars Hill and North Carolina at Spry Stadium. The Demon Deacons tied 1-1 with the Mountain Lions and were edged 1-0 by the Tar Heels.

Against Mars Hill, the Deacs put out mostly a reserve squad. In the first half, Johnny Torres drew a penalty kick and converted it himself to give the Deacons a 1-0 lead, but the Mountain Lions capitalized on a second-half defensive breakdown to tie the game at 1-1.

“We put some players out against Mars Hill who are knocking on the door of breaking into the first team and they played well,” said head coach Jay Vidovich. “I think Johnny Torres stepped up and showed that he can play and same thing with Ross Tomaselli – they both did a tremendous job and showed that they have a future with Wake soccer. Jake Schemper also did a good job of trying to lead the second group, and he had a good showing for himself.”

In the second match of the day against North Carolina, the Tar Heels came out of the gate strong, scoring an early goal. The Demon Deacons regained possession in the second half. Andy Lubahn had a great opportunity from inside the six-yard box that was snuffed out by the North Carolina goalkeeper, keeping Wake Forest off the board and securing the Tar Heel victory.

“Carolina is a always a game that we’re excited for. They’ve just come out of three College Cups and have great players. I think what was great about it was that it wasn’t like a spring kick-around. The approach was good, both teams competed and wanted to win,” said Vidovich. “I was impressed the start of the match for Carolina, and I was impressed with the way Wake Forest ended the match. Unfortunately we gave up an early goal and were unable to come back, but I thought that our team really improved as the game went on.”

Saturday’s two games marked the culmination of a spring season that saw the Deacs post a 3-2-1 record against quality competition. Wake Forest earned convincing wins over Duke, High Point and the University of Windsor (Canada) and allowed only six goals in seven matches including shutouts of Duke and West Virginia.

“Overall we’re very excited about how the spring went,” said Vidovich. “We played some very good teams between Carolina, West Virginia, Duke, High Point the Carolina Railhawks, et cetera. They all tested us and it was great to see the improvement that our guys made. The culture is good right now. We’re much more confident and we’re stronger as a group. Our boys are much more disciplined and the collective play is better. Their counterattack is better, as is the way they spring into things and their team defense.”

The spring provided players with an opportunity to make an impression upon the coaching staff, and several of them stood out. Danny Wenzel, Tolani Ibikunle and Chris Duvall anchored the Wake Forest defense, while Luciano Delbono, Kyle Emerson and Jared Watts put on solid performances in the midfield.

“Tolani Ibikunle has just made tremendous progress, and I’m so excited about him going into competition next year. He’s going to be a very good player and leader for us.” said Vidovich. I look at the strides that Luciano Delbono has made, he’s getting 90 minutes and he’s come a long way from where he was last fall. Danny Wenzel and Chris Duvall unfortunately missed the last match against North Carolina with injuries, but up until then they had been two of our best players this spring.

“Kyle Emerson showed that he can play and be a factor in this league so I’m excited for him,” Vidovich continued. “Jared Watts is continuing to work on his game as well. Everybody else has their moments throughout the spring. Luca (Gimenez) showed some very good things, and our only newcomer this spring Teddy Mullin has done well for being inexperienced and hopping in with our guys.”

Wake has a big hole to fill in net next season with the departure of three-year starter and 2010 All-ACC honoree Akira Fitzgerald. Sophomore Michael Lisch and redshirt sophomore Doug Ryan split time at the goalkeeper position throughout the spring.

“Doug Ryan started off very strong and had a good performance at the beginning of the spring, and I think towards the end Michael Lisch took over and I think he did a very good job,” saidVidovich. “I’m happy with the progress Michael has made and also with what Doug has done. We feel much more secure right now than we did before thinking about losing an Akira Fitzgerald.”

The Deacons will head into next season looking to rebound from the 2010 campaign that saw them miss the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 11 years. The disappointment of last season provided a bit of extra motivation this spring.

“Because of the reality of our performance in the fall and the player’s ambitions, they were very motivated this spring,” said Vidovich. “They really want to do well. We’re still missing some leadership at the upper level as far as people that understand our game and what it takes to win, but the young guys are very willing and they’ve come a long way.”

According to the coaching staff, the team made significant progress throughout the spring season, providing a positive outlook heading into the fall.

“We will certainly be a much more competitive team, a team that’s willing to battle and earn a result. They’re much better at doing that – they don’t want to lose,” said Vidovich. “They’re much more confident, and you can see that in the risks that they’re willing to take now. I think you’re going to see a much more disciplined team as far as knowing their roles and how to play with each other. In that confidence, I think there’s a sense of resiliency in that we lost to North Carolina, but I think we’re ready to go play North Carolina again.”

With final exams on the horizon, many of the players will soon return to their hometowns before reconvening in August to begin training for the 2011 season.

“We’re all excited for next season to come,” said Vidovich. “For me, this is the time that I really hate, because just as you start to see the progress, now they’re left to their own devices and they’re going to have to hope that they’ve learned enough that now they can train themselves to become even better players over the summer.”

“Overall we’re very excited about how the spring went,” said Vidovich. “We played some very good teams between Carolina, West Virginia, Duke, High Point the Carolina Railhawks, et cetera. They all tested us and it was great to see the improvement that our guys made. The culture is good right now. We’re much more confident and we’re stronger as a group. Our boys are much more disciplined and the collective play is better. Their counterattack is better, as is the way they spring into things and their team defense.”

Fuuuu

Jeff [Redacted] in the soccer program?

Fuuuu

Jeff [Redacted] in the soccer program?

interesting...not sure I understand the comparison since JV has actually won a National Championship and has developed successful players that are playing in the pro ranks, both domestically and internationally...apart from the similarity of the "talk" can [Redacted] (pronounced "buzz-DELL-ick") even hold a candle to JV's record? P.S. I don't follow basketball but I just googled on [Redacted] and read his Bio....

interesting...not sure I understand the comparison since JV has actually won a National Championship and has developed successful players that are playing in the pro ranks, both domestically and internationally...apart from the similarity of the "talk" can [Redacted] (pronounced "buzz-DELL-ick") even hold a candle to JV's record? P.S. I don't follow basketball but I just googled on [Redacted] and read his Bio....

baron....

I know increase my offer of one beer to 4 beers when we meet. Let me know, my friend.

'twas sarcasm, friend. Everyone on another thread is lambasting talk about "culture," and then Jay V made those comments today. I thought it was funny that one of our winningest coaches is saying the same thing as one of our losingest coaches.

'twas sarcasm, friend. Everyone on another thread is lambasting talk about "culture," and then Jay V made those comments today. I thought it was funny that one of our winningest coaches is saying the same thing as one of our losingest coaches.

Ha...I just don't even follow the basketball on this thread or the other thread...so I had to google on Beelzebub to even find anything out bout him...so good to know it was a joke;)

hahahahah

posrep for calling [Redacted] beelzebub. I like to defend the guy around here, because I think some of the BzzOuters are particularly trollish, but that's hilarious.

SuzyStark Suzy Stark
Wake Forest men's soccer asst. coach Bo Oshoniyi accepts assoc. head coach position at Penn St.

Hell of a guy. I wish Bo well in his future endeavors. Sucks to lose him, tho!

Didn't really know Oshoniyi, but I'm guessing pay might have been an issue here. Maybe recruiting, too. Got the sense that we just weren't as confident or excited with what we've brought in the last couple of years compared with the Muuss years (admittedly, that is hard to equal since Muuss is some evil recruiting genius savant).

We need a big time recruiter/personality in this position, one who can relate to the guys really well. Maybe Martin is doing that now since he's younger, but I don't think he's qualified yet to step to the top assistant position, and I would be kind of concerned if that is what happens out of this. I think we might require the top assistant to have his "A" license, anyway, which I don't think Martin has yet.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this. Somoano took over at UNC and promoted Negalha, which is where I immediately would have looked, but it is hard for us to match pay with them I think.

Jamie Franks came back to work as a graduate assistant, right? Any chance we just shuffle people around and promote from within?

I think that would be a bad idea. I don't know if it is a straight up requirement, but I imagine we will be looking for a third assistant type from a school that recruits pretty well, and probably one who has experience with 'keepers (Muuss, Lowery, Oshoyini all fit within that). Probably one that at least has his "B" license and is at least in the process of working on his "A." I don't know what Martin is. Martin is also Jay's sort of nephew, so I don't know if there would be concern within the athletic department about that, though I don't think it technically falls under any university/athletic department nepotism umbrella.

It'd be great if Franks stayed, but I don't see him getting promoted to full time just yet.

This is all speculation on my part, I don't know any of the details about this.

Roster looks like a lacrosse team with all the midfielders.

Vidovich on Pacifici: "Matt comes from North Meck youth soccer. His goalkeeper coach, Scott Schweitzer, has helped develop him into one of the best young keepers, following in the footsteps of our former goalkeeper Brian Edwards, who he also coached. He comes from the same club of our former players Craig Conger and Thomas Finlay. He is another one that we think is going to be a good player. Once again, particularly for goalkeepers, it will take him a little while to get used to the pace of the game, but he has a tremendous upside and will be a big fixture in our future."

Word.

Back