• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Naming New Freshman Dorm After Maya Angelou

Do you think really famous professors teach a full schedule? Especially those who teach into their 70s and 80s.

She gave a lot to Wake Forest.

Did I ask if she taught a full schedule? No. I asked if she ever taught more than once class at a time.

The tags just keep getting better. "let the caged bzz sing" out yourself. That's outstanding.

Did she ever teach more than 1 class at a time?

I'm pretty sure she taught like one class every two years. But I have zero problem with naming a dorm after her. She certainly is a more important figure in the history of Wake Forest than Jabez A. Bostwick. And it's kind of nice of Wake to deviate from its recent practice of naming everything after the highest bidder (RIP Mag Quad).

Wake Forest as we know it might not exist without Jabez A. Bostwick. Ultimately I doubt Dr. Angelou is that important of a figure in the history of Wake Forest beyond possibly starting a tradition of overpaying for high profile talent that spends as little time as possible educating students. And it's not like she produced volumes of work while in Wake's employ either.

Probably could quantify the publicity she generated for Wake and stack it up against many of those early donors who have dorms named after them.

well, Jabez left roughly the equivalent of $21 million to wake college in 1923.

I think that probably outweighs MA's publicity revenue

That's fine, but let's admit that was the deal all along.

well, Jabez left roughly the equivalent of $21 million to wake college in 1923.

I think that probably outweighs MA's publicity revenue

I didn't specifically cite Bostwick. His is not the only name on a dorm.

Would this be the first residence hall named after a woman or minority? First campus building in general?

Would this be the first residence hall named after a woman or minority? First campus building in general?

Lois Johnson, but it would be the second. Maybe the first after a minority if you exclude the Joel.

Lois Johnson, but it would be the second. Maybe the first after a minority if you exclude the Joel.

I forgot Lois and didn't consider the Joel. Guess we can say it is the first building MSD has named after a minority.

Back