• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Naming New Freshman Dorm After Maya Angelou

You guys are so right. Having her around didn't help in find-raising. Having a building named after her won't help either.

How are y'all going to react if Richard Burr has a dorm named after him?

How are y'all going to react if Richard Burr has a dorm named after him?

Meh.

Naming buildings almost always means a large capital gift, so if that was the case, great. If it's because of contributions to the university like Angelou, Johnson, Tribble, Wait, etc. I would probably argue that he hasn't contributed very much, but I probably wouldn't care too much. I know there was some fundraising around Angelou's death, but I have no idea how much it generated. I know that Angelou gave more publicity to Wake than she received.

I look forward to it being re-purposed as the Bob McCreary Sleep Performance Center at Maya Angelou Hall.

I can't believe that people are really annoyed by this. Also it's not like we have people lining up to pay to have dorms named after them. One of the freshman dorms is still named "South Hall" I believe. So we still have one building available for naming rights.

I can't believe that people are really annoyed by this. Also it's not like we have people lining up to pay to have dorms named after them. One of the freshman dorms is still named "South Hall" I believe. So we still have one building available for naming rights.

Plus if someone wants to pay to build a new dorm, we'll build one.

I'm not annoyed. And for all we know Dr. Angelou left millions of dollars to the school.

Taking her class was extremely valuable to me; I'm glad I had the experience. I think it's cool they're naming something after her. I wonder if someone donated some $$$ to make this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back