• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake NC State 7:30 PM ESPNU Night Game!

It always cracks me up when UNC fans mention their 1957 championship or in this case a State fan bringing up games that were played before anyone one these boards were born. I get going back 20 years or so but come on.

NCSU last won the ACC Championship in football in 1979. But they didn't even make a bowl game. With a history like that, it's no wonder that they had a parade for winning the Gator Bowl one year. To date, that is still their biggest post-season football victory

If i remember, 1979 was the year that our diminitive NT James Parker completely abused State's all American center. We were driving at the end to win the game, which was when the homer NCSU ballboy brought in a sopping wet ball causing us to either miss a FG or cause a fumble. So congrats your only championship was due to cheating

It always cracks me up when UNC fans mention their 1957 championship or in this case a State fan bringing up games that were played before anyone one these boards were born. I get going back 20 years or so but come on.

The 83 state natty title was pretty awesome, I have to give them that. I remember that one very well.

In the last 40 years State has beaten Wake 28 times. If State is irrelevant what does that make Wake?

In the last 40 years State has beaten Wake 28 times. If State is irrelevant what does that make Wake?

The North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts had only been in existence for a year when Wake Forest won the first intercollegiate football game in North Carolina.

giphy.gif

ACC title and BCS Bowl, but hey you guys had a Gator bowl parade.

That Gator Bowl team would have skull drug the 06 Wake team. Wakes best win that year was at a 6-6 FSU team. Hell that Wake team could only beat a 3-9 State team by 2 points and we almost drove down at the end to win the game.

That Gator Bowl team would have skull drug the 06 Wake team. Wakes best win that year was at a 6-6 FSU team. Hell that Wake team could only beat a 3-9 State team by 2 points and we almost drove down at the end to win the game.

This doesn't change the fact that an Orange Bowl appearance and ACC title is a much more prestigious accomplishment than winning the Gator Bowl and finishing 4th in the ACC.

and lmao, FSU was definitely not Wake's best win that year.

State was coming off back to back wins over ranked FSU and BC squads and was looking to go 3-0 in the ACC when Wake won in Raleigh that year.

State went on to lose out, although pretty much all of their losses were one score games.

Pretty much the same State team that went to the Gator Bowl came into WS the next year (when Adam Fletcher claimed that it would be decades before Wake beat State again) and lost by 2 TDs.

Last edited:
No NC State fan should ever argue about championships, especially in football. You haven't won the ACC in 38 years, despite being a huge taxpayer-funded public university with liberal admission requirements, outstanding facilities, and a huge loyal fanbase. Name another Power 5 program that has achieved less with more.

U Missouri? Mississippi State? U Minnesota? Of course it's gotta be U of Illinois.

Is wolfpack30844 a real person?

No. He's bot #30844 created by the NCSU Computer Science program to troll opposing message boards.

It's kind of like how deacfan27 was the 27th attempt to create the ideal message board poster and it took 22890 attempts to duplicate him.

Yes, that awesome, deep, unstoppable Wolpfack collection of talent that barely beat a 6-5 WF team by 3 the year before and lost the following year to a 5-7 WF team by 2 TDs. Your team did beat a WF team that finished the regular season 6-6 and won a bowl game that year.

Nonetheless, for reference purposes, 2005 WF team beat a State team that finished the regular season 6-5 and won a bowl game by 8 and the 2007 WF team team beat your 5-7 team by 20. WF's victory over your team in 2006 assisted in getting the HC of your vaunted Gator Bowl team fired.

In 2002, your team beat 1 ranked team during the regular season and lost to 3 unranked teams. In 2006, WF also beat 1 ranked team but lost to 2 top 20 teams during the regular season.

WF's best win in 2006 was GT in the ACCCG. Best regular season win was BC. Had the lead in the fourth quarter against Louisville in the Orange Bowl but ended up losing by 11. If Louisville didn't lose by a FG to Rutgers that season, they were in contention for a national title.

Regardless, keep the dream alive about your Gator Bowl team. Don't let any facts get in the way of how that team would have "skull drug" WF's 2006 ACC Champs.

State has the most messed up fanbase in the world. As a group, they have an inflated notion about their place in the sports world while at the same time having strong inferiority and persecution complexes.

Attending the State-Clemson game the other day with my family was one of the most unpleasant experiences I have had when it comes to attending a game as a fan of the opposing team. My daughters have gone to Clemson so we had our Clemson stuff on and got crap from lots of fans all day (there were also many pleasant, polite fans). As the game ended an older State fan put his middle finger in my daughter's face and commanded in no uncertain terms that she should go to the bad place. I get as angry and frustrated as anyone when my team loses but why take it out on the opposing fans?

State has the most messed up fanbase in the world. As a group, they have an inflated notion about their place in the sports world while at the same time having strong inferiority and persecution complexes.

Attending the State-Clemson game the other day with my family was one of the most unpleasant experiences I have had when it comes to attending a game as a fan of the opposing team. My daughters have gone to Clemson so we had our Clemson stuff on and got crap from lots of fans all day (there were also many pleasant, polite fans). As the game ended an older State fan put his middle finger in my daughter's face and commanded in no uncertain terms that she should go to the bad place. I get as angry and frustrated as anyone when my team loses but why take it out on the opposing fans?

Yea there is a bit of trash in the NCSU fan base unfortunately. That stuff sucks. I had a similar experience in Clemson back in 2005 when I went with my brother. Sucks that people get that invested and take it out on people they have literally no connection to who have done nothing to them. Sorry you had a shitty experience.

If history is a factor, we would be remiss for not mentioning the Deacs have won 6 of the last 7 in Winston-Salem.

The series is also tied 7-7 in the last 14.

Thanks for the most sober review of the record. Yeah, WF has an ACCC TROPHY and State doesn’t but the real deal is our series record and the most relevant recent trend we’re living in.

Hope both sets of fans remember spirtsmanship and civility. We’ve tended to have the better set of whooping and cheering fans on both sides of the ball in the ACC through the years and, yes, I’m familiar with the ugly ones too. But on balance our games have been good ones for the fans attending.

The 83 state natty title was pretty awesome, I have to give them that. I remember that one very well.

Oh hell yeah, don't get me wrong, I respected that squad big time. Little before my time but obviously plenty of stories and the 30 for 30 did a great job explaining how it all unfolded. Never would have happened if we would have taken care of biz in the ACCT that year.

Boom. And to do this against the schedule we've played has made the numbers more impressive. Dare I say top 3 single season performances by any Wake QB ever? I can't think back past the 80's so I'm probs wrong.

Back