• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake opens +9

FWIW - I drove down University this morning (Polo to downtown), and the roads are fine.

Agreed. The terrified idiots that don't know how to drive in the snow are the bigger hazards, imo.

Even I don't hate Bz enough to pull against us tonight. A win and we start talking post season.

Let's be serious, though. We're losing by double digits.

Good grief, we're not going to be the first team this year to beat Syracuse. Just the coaching matchup alone guarantees it. Boeheim will NOT let his first ACC season be submarined by LOWF!

Good grief, we're not going to be the first team this year to beat Syracuse. Just the coaching matchup alone guarantees it. Boeheim will NOT let his first ACC season be submarined by LOWF!

Agree. We aren't going to beat Syracuse. I understand the optimism though.

My gut says take Syracuse and give the points. We have exceeded expectations in every game since Pitt. At some point we will regress towards the mean. Against the undefeated #2 team in the country seems like the right time to start. [Redacted] gonna be [Redacted].

I recognize intangibles all point to upset alert, but the matchups are heavily slanted toward the Orange. I'm glad I don't bet on sports.
I just feel like we're destined for a season with no good wins and no bad losses (as defined by NCAAT guidelines anyway). Which is better than it's been , but nowhere near where we want to be.

As long as we're doing road updates, any word on Silas Creek/Robinhood Rd./Coliseum (that's the way I usually come in). Many thanks...

It's going to be competitive. Syracuse, while obviously very good, isn't playing great basketball right now. I think they'll win, but by single digits.

As long as we're doing road updates, any word on Silas Creek/Robinhood Rd./Coliseum (that's the way I usually come in). Many thanks...

Main roads are fine. The only rough streets right now are backroads and neighborhoods from what I've seen.

Anything can happen. We have a chance but not a very strong one. Winning this game would really help the team and Buzz but it's still a long shot. Jimmy B does not like North Carolina and so it is difficult to predict what sort of vibes his team will get from him on his first trip here as a reluctant member of the ACC and how the team will react: lose a little confidence, or pull together and show the coach? We have to play our best game of the year to win. Above all play smart. You start making dumb passes against their zone and forget it, the game will be out of reach before we know it.

Single digit losses at home in year 4 of a coaching regime are a "step in the right direction"? Maybe if you're goal is to get to the bubble with a senior dominated team?

Basketball is about match ups. They are not a good match up for us. They are more athletic, longer and quicker. Enins is mismatch for Madison. I'm not sure I'd want to tire Codi out trying to cover him.

I still see similiarities between this team and the 1975-76 team. This team is not nearly as good as the 1975-76 team, of course, but the direction is similiar. That team started 11-1 before losing 5 straight games....but you could see then that the 1975-76 team had potential and was building toward something much better. The reward came the next year when it started 20-3 & made it all the way to the Elite Eight. This team doesn't have that kind of potential, I don't think, but the improvement from just last year is amazing. We need to find a couple of good players for next year...particularly an outside shooter...to replace McKie & Williams, but a lot of the pieces in the puzzle are already there for us to have a very good team in the next couple of years.

In other words, we will peak with a 1st or 2nd round tourney exit in 2 years before having to completely rebuild.

That's what WF has been doing for a long time, isn't it? Your post perfectly described the program after Skip's 4th year in 2004-05.

We made the Sweet 16 in 03-04.

And I would rather have a team that attempts to be relevant, even if the season gets derailed by a crotch punch, then to strive for a 7 or 8 seed in our ideal season.

Last edited:
When you are a 9.5-point underdog to one of the three undefeated teams in the nation that is 19-0 and ranked #2, there is nothing wrong with a single digit loss. I don't care if it is in the 20th year of a coach's career. Vegas doesn't just pull their numbers out of a hat, Chris.
You're right, they don't.

They use factors such as having a horrible coach and a not very good basketball team.

And losing at home by single digits in year 4 of a coach's tenure is far from a positive result.

Back