• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/Pitt

FT% might be the toughest skill in the game to improve upon -- probably because every kid has already spent so much time shooting them alone. Sometimes you'll get guys like Josh Howard or Karl Malone who make a big jump but it's incredibly rare.

FT% might be the toughest skill in the game to improve upon -- probably because every kid has already spent so much time shooting them alone. Sometimes you'll get guys like Josh Howard or Karl Malone who make a big jump but it's incredibly rare.

Staff are also limited in the time they can spend coaching.

MKG is the #anecdote outlier. I hate to go all Bob Knight, but if you park your ass in the gym or on your driveway or at the park and practice FTs a lot without anybody pulling you into a pickup game, you will get better at FTs. I'm not saying everyone is going to become Chris Jackson or JJ Redick, but virtually anybody can become respectable at it.

Oh look moar #millennialkenpombullshit.

I have an opinion for those that struggle so much in the game situation shooting FTs. Try to construct (as best you can) the game situation: Shoot 3; sprint to end of court and back; deep breath, try to settle down; shoot 3 more, repeat the process over and over for your practice shots. Work to improve in this framework.

People honestly think the problem is these guys not getting shots up? Seriously?

I know I'm pretty quick to play the #racecard but I feel like there is a racial angle at play. Can't quite put it into words tho.

So then why practice FTs at all if significantly improving without a dedicated 24/7 shooting coach is not possible? Everyone should just take their natural 45% and find something better to do with their time.

I know I'm pretty quick to play the #racecard but I feel like there is a racial angle at play. Can't quite put it into words tho.

Yeah, fuck that redneck, Christian, real 'murican, KKK-loving, grand wizard honkey Mahmoud Abdul-Ra...oops Chris Jackson.

Wow- this is even false based on #anecdotes. I don't think I have ever met somebody who was a good free-throw shooter who was a bad shooter otherwise. I certainly didn't play with any. There are a few people here and there who are good free throw shooters who can't get their shot off in a regular game, but those folks are generally lights out shooting if they are doing it in a gym with nobody guarding them.

However, in my experience, the inverse has not always held true. I've seen guys that in the open floor, with or without a dribble, were lights out. But put them on the line and it's a different story.

This. He's like a beggar's Ty Walker on defense. For as awful as Leonard and Dinos are defensively, they seem to understand basic positioning. They don't really rotate that well, but at least they don't chase blocked shots. Like Ty, Dre will just run out and ditch his man to get a shot at a 10-foot jumper. He's all over the place and creates far more work for the rest of the team defense than either of those guys do, IMO.

Correct Washington chases blocked shots which a good center learns not to do in the 11th grade.

This game came down to coaching.

That handsome devil Jaime Dixon was strutting the sideline like a banty rooster, hogging the camera with his raw emotion.

Meanwhile, plain boring Danny Manning was talking to his players and drawing up plays and making substitutions.

Pitt fans got the entertainment value, but we got the win.

This game came down to coaching.

That handsome devil Jaime Dixon was strutting the sideline like a banty rooster, hogging the camera with his raw emotion.

Meanwhile, plain boring Danny Manning was talking to his players and drawing up plays and making substitutions.

Pitt fans got the entertainment value, but we got the win.

:heart:

Yeah, fuck that redneck, Christian, real 'murican, KKK-loving, grand wizard honkey Mahmoud Abdul-Ra...oops Chris Jackson.

Wasn't speaking about your examples. Just the topic in general gets people really wound up. Mostly because white people (me included) spent a lot of time shooting FTs in the driveway and because statistically whites are better FT shooters. And everyone on the internet could "go out there right now and hit 7 out of 10" or "shot 80% as a senior in high school."

Wasn't speaking about your examples. Just the topic in general gets people really wound up. Mostly because white people (me included) spent a lot of time shooting FTs in the driveway and because statistically whites are better FT shooters. And everyone on the internet could "go out there right now and hit 7 out of 10" or "shot 80% as a senior in high school."

#gymrats

I think that is more geographic than racial (unless you are reading race into geography). Kids in cities often don't have courts to themselves, as courts usually have games going on. So they are playing in games instead of having a hoop on which to practice FTs. Virtually any kid in the suburbs or country with a driveway or street can have a cheap goal to practice on by himself. I think it is the same reason you often see city kids shoot jumpers from their chest instead of over their head, as they started playing in games as a little kid when that is the only way they can get the ball high enough to reach the basket, and never grew out of that motion because they have little opportunity to practice just jumpshots.
But, any kid on a college scholarship can have a hoop to himself almost any time he wants, so the excuse ends when he hits campus.

The 'everyone can become a good free throw shooter' is a myth from my experience. You can certainly improve, but shooting is a skill that is developed over years not months. Even with no one in your face you have to have the skill to make the shot. When you combine the nerves that are involved in a free throw it can make it doubly difficult. Most basketball fans that think they are good free throw shooters couldn't hit 60% if their life depended on it in a true game situation.

Back