• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

Do we know yet when the Davis Cup matches are for some of our guys and how that plays in our schedule?

Davis Cup ties will be the weekends of Feb. 2, April 5, Sept. 14, and Nov. 23.

Noah Rubin beat Taylor Fritz 7-5, 6-4 to win the New Caledonia Challenger.
Link
Not sure what's up with his trophy . . .

Davis Cup ties will be the weekends of Feb. 2, April 5, Sept. 14, and Nov. 23.

Noah Rubin beat Taylor Fritz 7-5, 6-4 to win the New Caledonia Challenger.
Link
Not sure what's up with his trophy . . .

It's a black dick. What's not to understand?

Was there a pro tournament?

Qualifying is going on for the Dallas Challenger, but I don't see any WFU players listed in the draw. Kei Nishikori will be in the main draw, however.

It was on Saturday's Wake Forest Schedule for Dallas Challenger WC and today there is Sunrise Futures in Fl.

It was on Saturday's Wake Forest Schedule for Dallas Challenger WC and today there is Sunrise Futures in Fl.

Found some info - Seraphim and Dempster teamed up to make it through qualifying for the Dallas challenger with a 3 set win today. Impressive. I could see those two playing together this spring.

No one is playing the Sunrise Futures. Classes start tomorrow so I am sure everyone is on campus now. The Dallas draw was a mini tournament to determine a WC into the main draw of singles and dubs. The qualifying draw won't start until the tourney. Only Ian/Dirk played in Dallas, and only dubs, which I found interesting. Clearly, Tony is toying with some new potential dubs combos. The season officially starts next Tue with the DH vs. Coastal and Elon. Will be real interesting to see our lineups. No idea on Coastal, but Elon has some good players.

No one is playing the Sunrise Futures. Classes start tomorrow so I am sure everyone is on campus now. The Dallas draw was a mini tournament to determine a WC into the main draw of singles and dubs. The qualifying draw won't start until the tourney. Only Ian/Dirk played in Dallas, and only dubs, which I found interesting. Clearly, Tony is toying with some new potential dubs combos. The season officially starts next Tue with the DH vs. Coastal and Elon. Will be real interesting to see our lineups. No idea on Coastal, but Elon has some good players.

I had heard Gojo might play in FL this week. Is he not signed up?

The Wake women started their season yesterday beating Furman and Col of Charleston, each by a 7-0 score. It was a good start, with Wake going 29-0 in completed sets.

Went to some of the Coastal match earlier today... we're ridiculously deep. Skander and Christian didn't play at all and Gojo didn't play singles. Doubles was over in a half hour and 5 of the 6 first sets in singles were laughers. Looked like we eased off the gas a bit in the second sets but did enough to cruise on most courts. Of the new guys Botzer is the real deal and Cungu has a ton of power for someone that's 5'9".

Gonna be a fun year - at UNC will be tough but we should have the edge due to depth. UVA only has 1 guy back from their top 6 so who knows how they've reloaded under a new coach. We'll take quite a few ACC teams behind the woodshed.

Last edited:
Won the first match 6-1. Gojo, Mansouri, and Seraphim didn't play singles. Won the second match 7-0 and didn't play Seraphim in singles.

We are extremely deep and played 11 guys in the two matches.

The unranked Wake women just beat #18 Arkansas 4-2.

The #1 Wake men play ODU tonight at home (indoor) at 5 PM. If Wake wins, they will play the winner of Vandy/Portland tomorrow (Saturday) at 5 PM at the Wake indoor courts.

http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/Kick-Off+Weekend/2018+ITA+KOW+-+Men$!27s+Master+Lineups+Final.pdf

Master Lineups for the Weekend

1. Borna
2. Petros
3. Skander
4. Christian
5. Cungu
6. Botzer

Zlobinsky first off the bench

1. Skan/Seraphim
2. Gojo/Dempster
3. Petros/Botzer

http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/Kick-Off+Weekend/2018+ITA+KOW+-+Men$!27s+Master+Lineups+Final.pdf

Master Lineups for the Weekend

1. Borna
2. Petros
3. Skander
4. Christian
5. Cungu
6. Botzer

Zlobinsky first off the bench

1. Skan/Seraphim
2. Gojo/Dempster
3. Petros/Botzer

I was pretty close on my singles guess but not close at all in doubles:

Singles
Gojo
Petros
Mansouri
Seraphim
Cungu
Zlobinsky

Doubles
Mansouri-Petros
Seraphim-Zlobinsky
Botser-Dempster

The men won 4-0 and play Vandy at home tonight at 5 pm. The women play at #14 Ohio State today at 4 pm.

Back