• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake @ UNC and no game thread?

deacvision7

Mod Emeritus
Reaction score
Wow. My full congratulations to Ron Wellman on killing support and passion of Wake Forest basketball.

15-16 UNC leads with 10 left in the first btw

Oh, so I'm the asshole here

I didn't realize the KenPom threads became game threads. My overall point stands though. Pre-game and during game at the 1/4 mark has fewer than 60 posts.

Again, my congratulations to Ron Wellman on a job well done.

Wake-Carolina script plays out same as it has in Chapel Hole for last 50+ years. Wake has game won but manages to give it away in last minute with stupid 3 point jumpers, 1 for 3 at line, no rebounding or defense at the rim. Seen it since I was 6 years old. Outscored 8-0 in last minute and half. So predictable.

Oh, so I'm the asshole here

I didn't realize the KenPom threads became game threads. My overall point stands though. Pre-game and during game at the 1/4 mark has fewer than 60 posts.

Again, my congratulations to Ron Wellman on a job well done.

The KP threads becoming game threads have been a jinx on the year

Wake-Carolina script plays out same as it has in Chapel Hole for last 50+ years. Wake has game won but manages to give it away in last minute with stupid 3 point jumpers, 1 for 3 at line, no rebounding or defense at the rim. Seen it since I was 6 years old. Outscored 8-0 in last minute and half. So predictable.

+1 Just can't get over ourselves on the road for the most part? Every guard tries to be the hero instead of just playing within the teamwork structure. Also can't miss FT's on the road if you want to win.

Childress numbers are up in each major stat across his line over last season.

That shot goes down and Lil' Chill becomes a second generation hero though. I thought he played a really good game otherwise. This game rejuvenated my interest a bit in the rest of the season.

Speaking of the rest of the season, this is a huge week. 2 important games vs Syracuse and on the road at BC. Could be a make or break week for us.

That shot goes down and Lil' Chill becomes a second generation hero though. I thought he played a really good game otherwise. This game rejuvenated my interest a bit in the rest of the season.

The point is for all the guards is at end game times like this, play with their eyes up and looking to find the best shot & open man instead of head down & bull in a china shop. Keyshawn took the final shot as a game winner when we could have just tied the game also. We had well over 10 seconds when we go the ball & he got the pass & took a dribble into defenders and let fly a bad shot. There were guys open. We need to learn to pass the ball and run an offense! Quit being selfish and learn to play defense!

Childress numbers are up in each major stat across his line over last season.

Perhaps, but there is no stat line for poise and smart decision making. He is quite deficient in those areas. When he runs the offense, the ball sticks. He is too focused on himself and his own game. His social media posts reflect that on a regular basis. No hate to the kid, he plays pretty good defense actually and I love his fire and willingness to win, but offensively...we're a worse team when he's on the floor.

I agree that his offensive results lag behind the confidence he shows but he is averaging close to 4 assists per game which is pretty impressive for a guy playing 24 mpg. He's shooting 39% from deep this year (up from 34% last year) and if he has a wide open three, I'm OK letting him fire most of the time.
Don't forget, in the last 40 seconds we did try a pass into the paint to Doral which lead to the missed end of a one and one.
Plus to Chil Tron, I'd love to see some stats to back up your claim that we're worse offensively when Childress is on the floor. That's a completely subjective comment I suspect. Even if it is true, wouldn't it be normal for a team to be worse with their backup PG and 2nd unit on the floor rather than their starting players? That's why they are backups.

Our primary problems are poor rebounding, poor defense, foul trouble on Doral, our starting forwards have been getting about 10 points between them in recent weeks, Crawford is a bit of a hot dog at times. If we can fix those sins then we could discuss Childress if you like.

Our primary problems are poor rebounding, poor defense, foul trouble on Doral, our starting forwards have been getting about 10 points between them in recent weeks, Crawford is a bit of a hot dog at times. If we can fix those sins then we could discuss Childress if you like.

I believe a problem on the same level as the ones you mentioned is that Childress and Crawford spend the first 10-15 seconds of a very high percentage of possessions dribbling the ball while everyone else stands around (note this is not just on Chil/Craw as I don't think they are telling everyone else to stand around)

I agree that his offensive results lag behind the confidence he shows but he is averaging close to 4 assists per game which is pretty impressive for a guy playing 24 mpg. He's shooting 39% from deep this year (up from 34% last year) and if he has a wide open three, I'm OK letting him fire most of the time.
Don't forget, in the last 40 seconds we did try a pass into the paint to Doral which lead to the missed end of a one and one.
Plus to Chil Tron, I'd love to see some stats to back up your claim that we're worse offensively when Childress is on the floor. That's a completely subjective comment I suspect. Even if it is true, wouldn't it be normal for a team to be worse with their backup PG and 2nd unit on the floor rather than their starting players? That's why they are backups.

I'm going to quote Joey Davis' recent post from BSD on this. I agree with him: not against Childress playing but when we have both he and Crawford on the floor, our offense stalls.

"Chaundee Brown has been in 392 possessions offense and defense. On those possessions we’ve given up 399 and scored 461. That’s a defense rating of 101.79 vs. 104.81 team and an offensive rating of 117.60 vs. 112.92 team. We’re 5 pts better offensively and 3 pts better defensively with Chaundee on the court.

Mitchell has 194 offensive possessions and 193 defensive possessions 106.19 offense and 91.19 defense. So the offense underperforms 6 pts but the defense overperforms by 13 pts.

Childress is 111.97 offense on 468 possessions and 108.14 on 467 defensive possessions. He underperforms the team on both ends and is the only player in the 10 man rotation that does.

Childress’s numbers have improved greatly over the last two games. In fact, he was the only positive player against Tennessee. But he played both those games as the sole ballhandler without Crawford on the court. When Crawford and Childress are on the court together the offense stalls out.

I’m not against Childress playing. I’m against Childress or Crawford playing out of position. We do poorly as a team when that happens. Right now the two of them are playing over 50 mpg combined. That number needs to be a lot closer to 40."

Back