• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake v. #6 Xavier -- 7:00 pm on a TUESDAY! TV--Fox Sports Carolinas

There are some good things about using an alternate defense every once in a while. It makes the opposing coaches have to prepare that much more for you. If you have a 1-3-1 or 221 zone in the repertoire that is on film, the opposing team needs to account for it and plan for it. The more things they have to practice to go against, the less likely they are to be really good at all of them. (see Wake against the 1-3-1 last night.)

For your own team, if you have alternate defenses that other teams use, the scout team may play it a little harder in practice, because it is serving double duty: teaching them their own team's alternate defense and providing the starters a look at what an opponent might do. Anything that makes the looks the scout team gives the main rotation guys better is probably a win for your team.

I agree, a coach that says under no circumstances will I play a zone is not being very smart in my opinion. I not saying it would benefit us at all, but don't close doors to it if it might.

Hudson and Codi continue to underperform as they try to catch up. Tough schedule doesn't help and it only gets tougher from here. Still like this team in the long run. To get anywhere good we will have to excel in the ACC tourney.

Hudson has been awful this year. Most of us saw him as the guy who would make a big jump this year and instead he just shoots more and misses more.

After a night of relatively sober sleep, I think I stand by my histrionics from yesterday.

I'm hearing a lot about respecting the other team, crediting Manning for pre-game prep (in response to criticizing him for his in-game coaching), THE REFS!!!?!?!?1, best rebounding team in the league, bad bounces on shots, freshmen mistakes, young team, expel Codi, etc. etc. Lots of excuses.

Racer put it really well that setting up motivation for a good week of practices is a weird way to win games. Not calling a timeout once during the 18-2 run is probably the reason why we ultimately lost that game. I understand teaching guys a lesson and whatnot and letting a young team play through mistakes (insert your platitude here), but that stretch completely sapped our offense of any momentum it may have had and Codi just didn't look with-it enough to put us on his back, as he did so often last year. During that stretch, we gradually stopped playing with any sort of intensity. By the time that we allowed six offensive rebounds on three consecutive defensive possessions (which was just bad effort/positioning/boxing out), it wasn't just that we were playing a great team, it's also that we just appeared to stop trying.

Manning's hook-style of substitutions, in particular, made little to no sense in this game. Leave Dinos and Crab in while pulling out Collins (for what, exactly)? Not recognizing that X was exploiting the hell out of the fact that McClinton can't do anything when the offense isn't flowing and Dinos is softer than any Deac in recent memory on defense? Not calling a timeout and running a set play for Devin out of the in-bounds pass when he touched the ball like four times in the second half? Reward a really solid stretch of play from Doral Moore by keeping him on the bench all second half? Waiting until the postgame to point out what was pretty clear while we were all watching: we were forcing awful perimeter shots (heyo, Crab!) when we really were doing a good job of getting looks inside of the arc in the first half?

I get it. We're a young team prone to mistakes with veterans who are not exactly immune to bone headed plays themselves. Our rotation is deep, but has a lot of flaws and inconsistencies. We couldn't hit the broad side of a barn after the first half. X is really damn good in a lot of ways. All of that certainly factored into that loss.

Yet, we competed with them and really could have won that game if we had minimized any one of the weaknesses above. As DC pointed out earlier, it's become pretty clear that we have NCAA Tournament ceiling if Manning can get and keep these guys motivated. I'm over giving participation trophies to our guys for moral victories, won halves, and close games against good teams (especially when we went into the break up 15). That was good for a team full of freshmen or a [name redacted] roster, but not now.

I'm really hoping that we look like a different team in the coming weeks because this game revealed the recent trend of playing down to opponents as an inability to capitalize on momentum and adjust once our opponent has figured us out.

ETA: And I agree with plama that Crawford deserved that technical foul. While the offensive foul call fit into the trend of horrific refereeing - I'd argue that it worked for and against both teams throughout the night - the technical was absolutely deserved.

Last edited:
I'm not kidding when I say I think Collins was called for a foul in that picture above.

I agree, a coach that says under no circumstances will I play a zone is not being very smart in my opinion. I not saying it would benefit us at all, but don't close doors to it if it might.

I agree with these comments on an occasional zone. If the other team is hot, change things up a bit and make their floor-leader recognize and direct his team to counter. He just might have a problem or slow reaction seeing it and doing so. If they solve it, then change back or try something else. (that axiom - doing the same thing and expecting different results, stupid)

Good warm up for the Duke game. I think we win that one.

Hudson has been awful this year. Most of us saw him as the guy who would make a big jump this year and instead he just shoots more and misses more.
Crab really loves stepping into those awful quick-trigger 3s 5 feet behind the 3-point line. I agree, he looks the same as last year, and I'm not putting it on rust. I just don't think he's developed much.

Last edited:
I'd give DM a little credit that he wasn't just standing there thinking 'I hope they try and get it into DT'. DM and DT call out the team for failing to execute because they ignored what they were being asked to do. I doubt DT was standing around hoping they'd pass it into him either.

Maybe Crawford deserved to take a heat check three but you don't take it with a rainbow three over the other teams center. Again, this is a freshman mistake, you drive on the big man you don't shoot over him.

Crab really loves stepping into those awful 3s 5 feet behind the 3-point line. I agree, he looks the same as last year, and I'm not putting it on rust. I just don't think he's developed much.

His shot looks very awkward. He's athletic and long, I think right now he's better served to really work on his mid-range game and going to hoop, then trying to be a 3 point threat.

Crab really loves stepping into those awful 3s 5 feet behind the 3-point line. I agree, he looks the same as last year, and I'm not putting it on rust. I just don't think he's developed much.

We talked about this over the summer. Between GMac and Crab, it appears that 21 year old sophomores tend to be who they are...

Back