• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake v. Clemson Who's Going?

There is a group of about 25 Yank transplants to Winston going to Death Valley and sitting in Wake section. You should be able to pick them out. :thumbsup:
Black socks, sandals and shorts? :)

Which is the Wake section? I have four good seats in section D and might walk over to some Clemson fans near the Wake section and try to switch, if it's nearby.

Which is the Wake section? I have four good seats in section D and might walk over to some Clemson fans near the Wake section and try to switch, if it's nearby.

valleyforge_bench1.jpg

May head down with RamRod but not sure yet...not sure if I want to subject myself to that.

I have club seats in the North endzone. Will be on "ave of champions" tailgating.

Just watched a little of the YouTube video of the game against UT in 85. I really loved those flying WF helmets with the three stripes.

Mackovic did no recruiting and left after the 1980 season and left Groh to pick up the pieces. Groh finally had a 6-5 season and hit the road. Groh was a legend in his own mind. Funny thing was Mack left for an assistant position with the Cowpokes and Groh left for an assistant job with the Falcons. Dooley came in 1987 and did a pretty good job. He was an old ball coach.

Everybody liked Dooley, but Al had some good players on hand, and set Dooley up nicely for his first 2 successful years.

Last edited:
I admire the spirit of all of you going to that game. I think Clemson is one of the shittiest places I've ever been.

So far it hasn't been bad. Granted I've been with sorority girls and will be in club seats. Granted it is in the middle of nowhere

Been there twice - never going back. Not a fun place to watch a game as a visitor...most of their fans are just assholes. Better than State and FSU but not much.

In terms of winning seasons, Dooley was the best modern coach with a 50% mark. Sadly though, his nonwinning years really bottomed out.

Dooley had 2 winning seasons with Groh's players and 1 winning season (Independence Bowl Champs and Top 25) with his own players.

Went in 1998. Sat on the hill near the rock. Desmond Clark had a big day and we crushed those hillbillies. It's a dump in the middle of nowhere. I'll never go back.

Dooley did with Groh players what Groh could not do. Period. Groh was atrocious on all levels.

He apparently brought in players good enough to have back to back winning seasons. He just couldn't coach them in the game.

Back