• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake v Duke game thread - Shirts vs. Skins

Agreed. I like Manning a lot just wish he would figure this thing out. I am still in the "give Manning some time" camp. For me the season is next year. If he can't get us to the tournament with a team full of upperclassmen, then I'm done. Until then I will support Manning and the program. If this team is sitting at home next March or playing in the NIT, find me a new coach please. I'm tired of the Wake jabs from Duke and Carolina fans, I'm tired of Wake being a program that folks like to make fun of, don't support, and write off as an "easy win." If this team doesn't do anything special this year it's going to be 7 years without any kind of postseason........7 fucking years. It's fucking depressing and it's depressing because I know this program is a shit ton better than this.

Seven years.......Seven fucking years. I am not asking to win the National Title or even a Final Four right now. But please for the love of God give my son (who is 12 and a die hard fan) and I a reason to sit in front of the t.v. on selection Sunday and find out where the Deacs are playing. We are dying for this basketball program to be good again. I have to show him clips from 2010 and before to show him Wake is a very capable program and show him what the Joel looked like when the program was good and it had support from students and fans. I believe in this program and think it's potential is very high regardless of what people here or other places think. I am encouraged by the commitment to upgrade the athletic facilities and the donations coming in are awesome. I also think Manning has improved but I still have question marks.

If all these other schools can figure it out and do it then why can't Wake. Is it academics? Then why is Duke so successful????? Stanford in football......????? Look at other programs that compete and get recruits. Look at Miami basketball???? Virginia basketball??? Baylor basketball (that one still perplexes me how they have come on the scene). For me it's the coach. Am I wrong? If all this money is being spent to upgrade our facilities then what will be the excuse for Wake basketball after that? Wake is a small school? Academics? The administration? Again I like Manning a lot but if he doesn't pan out please for the love of God find Wake Forest a damn basketball coach. This whole program needs some balls and needs to start swinging it's dick around or step down and go play with High Point and Winthrop. Rant over. Go Deacs.

#Wake is better than this
#I believe in this program

This is what it comes down to for me. WFU is important not just for the memories I made there and the path on which it set me, but also for the new joys I've had introducing my kids to this experience. (Probably a mistake, right?) Hence my board name. I am emotionally invested because this matters to me in my relationship with my kids. I hate having to tell them to "get used to losses like these"; they don't want to hear that. They want to root for a winner, or at least a team with some passion. Credit to them, they are die-hard Deacs and haven't yet gotten embittered. But I won't be able to blame them if we do, if our current trajectory doesn't change. 7 years is a lot to a child...

Grateful we have Clawson, as I feel our football program will be enjoyable to root for even knowing our expected losses. But basketball is our crown jewel, and either we aren't even a player on the natonal stage, or we tease like we are and crush hopes. Those of my children included.

If ever I get too emotional or stubborn when interacting with some of the Die-hard Danny Defenders, this is why. I apologize. I want to savor these years with my children, and honestly feel sometimes that certain memories are taken away from us because of our sometimes ridiculously predictable failures.

I realize it seems I am putting too many eggs into this basket. Our family happiness does not depend on the Deacs, as yes, we have a life and identity outside of Wake sports. For sanity's sake. But I think this is the case particularly for many fathers and their children. We have a deep love for something that is almost inexplicable, and we want to share it with our progeny. But when that object of affection is WFU basketball, it almost makes me wonder if it would be better not to be invested at all. To make that determination would be a loss. But we're losing either way. Because the true, bond-forming, winning moments have been altogether too few and far between.

No drinking on campus, no internet, no video games, no ESPN3, no sex, no espn, no Netflix.

We actually drank on campus. We just didn't broadcast it. :geek: I spent a lot of time at the T.O.G. (Tavern On the Green) drinking tall Buds. (I had no taste in beers at the time.)

Our football team was so bad that we got excited when we scored. Winning a game was out of the question so a score was a victory of sorts. For basketball we watched Winston-Salem State and Earl the Pearl!!! :woot:

People aren't going to continue to show up to see us choke away games late.

That's what I fear and you know what, my son said the same exact thing to me. We will hopefully be at the Georgia Tech game and my son commented that he hoped the students and fans would still show up.

This is what it comes down to for me. WFU is important not just for the memories I made there and the path on which it set me, but also for the new joys I've had introducing my kids to this experience. (Probably a mistake, right?) Hence my board name. I am emotionally invested because this matters to me in my relationship with my kids. I hate having to tell them to "get used to losses like these"; they don't want to hear that. They want to root for a winner, or at least a team with some passion. Credit to them, they are die-hard Deacs and haven't yet gotten embittered. But I won't be able to blame them if we do, if our current trajectory doesn't change. 7 years is a lot to a child...

Grateful we have Clawson, as I feel our football program will be enjoyable to root for even knowing our expected losses. But basketball is our crown jewel, and either we aren't even a player on the natonal stage, or we tease like we are and crush hopes. Those of my children included.

If ever I get too emotional or stubborn when interacting with some of the Die-hard Danny Defenders, this is why. I apologize. I want to savor these years with my children, and honestly feel sometimes that certain memories are taken away from us because of our sometimes ridiculously predictable failures.

I realize it seems I am putting too many eggs into this basket. Our family happiness does not depend on the Deacs, as yes, we have a life and identity outside of Wake sports. For sanity's sake. But I think this is the case particularly for many fathers and their children. We have a deep love for something that is almost inexplicable, and we want to share it with our progeny. But when that object of affection is WFU basketball, it almost makes me wonder if it would be better not to be invested at all. To make that determination would be a loss. But we're losing either way. Because the true, bond-forming, winning moments have been altogether too few and far between.

Man. Great post. I agree 100% and that's how our family is other than the fact I never went to the school.

Wellman put us in the position and deserves every bit of the blame. Hopefully Danny can dig us all the way out of the hole Wellman dug, and he has us in the right direction talent-wise. But I have never seen a team consistently blow good leads like Wake the last two years. We have enough talent to win enough games but we just blow them the same way over and over. Thanks Wellman.

You expect DM to throw his players under the bus in a tweet? The fuck.

Lol same thing I thought. Don't know what's wrong with thanking the students for showing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter was a competitive junior golfer and chose to go to Wake as a recruited/preferred walk on as opposed to another school on scholarship (I guess she figured, WTH it's not her money :) Since I was always so invested, she grew up a fan of the school and that's really the only place she ever wanted to go. The spring before her freshman year at Wake, we watched the Pittsnogle fiasco together. After the game I asked her, Are you sure you want to attend that school, it's gonna break your heart. No surprise to me she never wavered and she was rewarded with some great hoops and an Orange Bowl during her four years. It is a special thing to have your kids right there with you creating great memories. Hope the Deacs start making your family's memories more joyous and less painful!

It's about DM taking a humble attitude toward the fans after a game in which they showed up but he didn't.

If we had been winning and the fans weren't showing up, he could approach it from the perspective that the team deserves more support.

The real question is did he tweet the dookie fans? The roar for the Kennard game winner was just as loud as anything Wake did, at least it sounded that way on TV.

We actually drank on campus. We just didn't broadcast it. :geek: I spent a lot of time at the T.O.G. (Tavern On the Green) drinking tall Buds. (I had no taste in beers at the time.)

Our football team was so bad that we got excited when we scored. Winning a game was out of the question so a score was a victory of sorts. For basketball we watched Winston-Salem State and Earl the Pearl!!! :woot:

50 years ago tomorrow night (1/30/67) six of us from 204 Davis went to Whitaker Gym to watch Monroe & WSSU beat Delaware State 99-81.

Two days later and I am still pissed off and stunned that we let Kennard get the last shot....Just unbelievable.

Sure hope that Manning and the team are as torn up about kicking that game as the rest of us are- it really ruined my weekend. :(

I understand this and agree. Well said.

The real question is did he tweet the dookie fans? The roar for the Kennard game winner was just as loud as anything Wake did, at least it sounded that way on TV.

Had we hit a shot to win it at the end, I think the roar from the Wake crowd certainly would have been louder. But your point is still valid.

Two days later and I am still pissed off and stunned that we let Kennard get the last shot....Just unbelievable.

04:01 SUB IN : Harry Giles
04:01 SUB OUT: Antonio Vrankovic
03:49 MISSED 3 PTR by Frank Jackson
03:49 REBOUND (OFF) by Grayson Allen
03:43 81-74 H 7 GOOD! 3 PTR by Luke Kennard
03:43 ASSIST by Frank Jackson
FOUL by John Collins (P4T10) 03:19
TURNOVR by John Collins 03:19
03:19 TIMEOUT media
02:59 MISSED 3 PTR by Matt Jones
02:59 REBOUND (OFF) by Grayson Allen
02:41 81-76 H 5 GOOD! JUMPER by Luke Kennard
02:41 ASSIST by Frank Jackson
GOOD! JUMPER by Keyshawn Woods 02:11 83-76 H 7
01:56 MISSED LAYUP by Frank Jackson
01:56 REBOUND (OFF) by (TEAM)
01:51 83-79 H 4 GOOD! 3 PTR by Luke Kennard
01:51 ASSIST by Frank Jackson
MISSED 3 PTR by Mitchell Wilbekin 01:19 REBOUND (DEF) by (DEADBALL)
01:15 TIMEOUT 30sec
00:55 83-82 H 1 GOOD! 3 PTR by Grayson Allen
00:55 ASSIST by Matt Jones
TIMEOUT TEAM 00:42
MISSED 3 PTR by Keyshawn Woods 00:26 REBOUND (DEF) by Harry Giles
00:15 TIMEOUT TEAM
00:09 83-85 V 2 GOOD! 3 PTR by Luke Kennard
00:09 ASSIST by Matt Jones
TIMEOUT 30sec 00:06
MISSED LAYUP by Bryant Crawford 00:01 BLOCK by Harry Giles
00:01 REBOUND (DEF) by (TEAM)

How in 4 minutes w/ a lead did Wake only manage to take 4 shots w/ exactly zero of them being even a decent look? In that typical situation you'd figure there would be several shots & free throws. The offense did nothing & apparently didn't try to do much either. It is not a secret that Wake is a poor team defensively, but no way should a top 12 offense in the country not manage better looks or get to the line in 4 minutes. That last 3 by Woods, he should have at least just put his down & tried his best to get Teddy to blow the whistle. Also looking at the play by play, we allowed Duke to get 3 offensive rebounds down the stretch that all resulted in a made basket. That just again is the perfect storm to create a devastating loss.

Has anyone mentioned the FOUR missed lay-ups in the 1st half ?

right on the floor ....and not only did it touch the rim it touched Giles last as it went out of bounds .....still IMO we have to PLAY to WIN not play not to lose

Back