• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - Virginia Tech Game Thread

But the program was not rock solid with Dino at the helm.

No shit sherlock. I can't believe the guy with no major head coaching experience who had taken over for his deceased mentor less than three years earlier didn't have everything on lock.

The truth is it was pretty hard to tell where the program was headed under Dino. There were certainly some positive signs (recruiting, 2 straight NCAA tourney appearances) as well as some negative signs (postseason struggles, chemistry issues, in game adjustments).

Though he had certainly earned at least one more year, if you thought the negative trend was stronger and wanted to cut bait and build on some of the positive momentum noone could argue with you. Ultimately noone has. But if you are going to make that move you better bring in someone clearly better.

We brought in someone unfathomably worse.

Goodnight

I have seen zero evidence that bz knows basketball

Wow. RChildress spent a few minutes last night absolutely owning Mich. Well done.

I have seen zero evidence that bz knows basketball

:werd: It's the last thing some people hold onto to attempt to explain the hire, but there's just not much evidence. He may know some small sliver of basketball, i.e. scouting NBA teams, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the basketball he needs to know to be a successful coach.

There is a difference between understanding and knowing the game and being able to teach and coach the game to kids. In Buzzdick's case, that gulf is wider than the Pacific.

There is a difference between understanding and knowing the game and being able to teach and coach the game to kids. In Buzzdick's case, that gulf is wider than the Pacific.

It's just like teaching math or physics or whatever. Just because you understand it yourself doesn't mean you can teach it well.

It's just like teaching math or physics or whatever. Just because you understand it yourself doesn't mean you can teach it well.

There's a lot more to the game than teaching...good assistants (noted, I'm not convinced we have but one) can make up for a head coach who isn't good at teaching. If he understood the game, we'd still have good substitution patterns, consistently good game plans, great half-time adjustments, good set plays on inbounds, good use of timeouts, a defense that puts players in position to rebound, etc, etc. We don't have any of those things, and none of them require teaching. He's a total failure at the ONE part of the game, X's and O's, where he was supposed to excel.

Back