• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake vs. Clemson Game Thread (Deacs Pummeled Again)

McKie gets a complete free pass for doing things that Johnson and Aminu were absolutely crucified for. I like the kid and all but he does have significant holes in his game. My prior post was perhaps a bit unfair so I'll try and stick to the facts which are: he is not a good outside shooter, he has very little ability to create for himself, he has a poor handle and he's undersized.

He doesn't get a free pass at all. Agreed that he doesn't have a great handle or the ability to create his own, but he's a better shooter than both Aminu and Johnson. Remember he's just in year 2 of, most likely, 4. I'm excited to see what kind of player he becomes.

McKie gets a complete free pass for doing things that Johnson and Aminu were absolutely crucified for. I like the kid and all but he does have significant holes in his game. My prior post was perhaps a bit unfair so I'll try and stick to the facts which are: he is not a good outside shooter, he has very little ability to create for himself, he has a poor handle and he's undersized.

The only similarities between those 3 players is that they all settle for long jumpers too often, instead of using their size to get points in the paint. McKie hardly ever handles the ball, I can't remember the last time he took it up court himself, or even drove from the 3 point line.

The only similarities between those 3 players is that they all settle for long jumpers too often, instead of using their size to get points in the paint. McKie hardly ever handles the ball, I can't remember the last time he took it up court himself, or even drove from the 3 point line.

Yesterday. And he turned it over.

James was a 54% FG shooter in his soph year. He will forever be ridiculously underrated by our fans.

BFK has everyone convinced that JJ wasn't Wake material because he was lazy on defense sometimes and because there was an unsubstantiated rumor he didn't go to class his last semester. A rumor which didn't seem to affect our APR very much...

Yesterday. And he turned it over.

So...once? McKie's limitations are only highlighted because of how terrible this team is. Can you blame him for trying to do too much, when he's arguably our best player, and he's getting blown out by Clemson at home?

So...once? McKie's limitations are only highlighted because of how terrible this team is. Can you blame him for trying to do too much, when he's arguably our best player, and he's getting blown out by Clemson at home?

Oh I definitely agree with you (see my post on the previous page), just making an observation that he did do it yesterday. I agree that for the most part he tries not to handle the ball, recognizing that it isn't a strength. Our offense, however, doesn't really set him up to take shots in the paint too often without having to get the ball there himself.

Travis needs to be a 3rd option junkyard dog type of guy. He is not a feature player as he cannot create his own shot and is too small to be consistently effective in the post. Take the limelight off him and just let him do the little things to help a team win and that's where he would look the best.

Travis needs to be a 3rd option junkyard dog type of guy. He is not a feature player as he cannot create his own shot and is too small to be consistently effective in the post. Take the limelight off him and just let him do the little things to help a team win and that's where he would look the best.

Did someone say junkyard dog?

I still remember a kid in my class saying "Screw James Johnson! He flunked out of Wake!"

Another kid in my class also said that James Johnson told his friend's dad (He coaches in the ProAm) that his major at Wake Forest was Basketball.

I always wondered if this was actually true.

Agreed. And any comparison of Travis to AFA or JJ is very unfair, because Travis is nowhere near the player they were.

The actual James Johnson anecdote was that he was majoring in Pre-NBA.

I still remember a kid in my class saying "Screw James Johnson! He flunked out of Wake!"

Another kid in my class also said that James Johnson told his friend's dad (He coaches in the ProAm) that his major at Wake Forest was Basketball.

I always wondered if this was actually true.

I believe the basketball major one. I'm pretty sure that JJ declared for the NBA before he had to declare a major at Wake, not that that's any excuse for saying something stupid. JJ probably wouldn't have said that to a professor or reporter though, he was always really respectful and polite (to coaches and authority figures) when I knew him.

Just showed a clip of JJ going coast to coast for the dunk against the Lakers on ABC. Good stuff.
JJ was great player and person. He also loved Wake. Who cares that he wanted to go to the league? So do most top 50 players. I love Travis, but JJ was a phenomenal talent who carried us when Teague went MIA. Losing players to the league isn't a bad thing for a program. We can't reload as easily so it hurts more, but there was a lot of excitement around our program and great press for the school. I wish we had done more in the post-season, but maybe with a real coach we can finish the job.

Travis might have a better chance at the league if he had a coach who didn't destroy his confidence.

JJ was great player and person. He also loved Wake. Who cares that he wanted to go to the league? So do most top 50 players. I love Travis, but JJ was a phenomenal talent who carried us when Teague went MIA. Losing players to the league isn't a bad thing for a program. We can't reload as easily so it hurts more, but there was a lot of excitement around our program and great press for the school. I wish we had done more in the post-season, but maybe with a real coach we can finish the job.

Agreed 100%.

Back