• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake vs. Presbyterian game thread

So we've ditched the black jerseys?

Oooops. Been too long since I've watched a home game.

We all know Kansas is the first test. Seeing how they play against a top team will give us our first real indication of what this team is going to be.

IMO the second and third games of that tournament are the real tests. We played UConn close early on last year and still had a terrible season, so whether we lose to Kansas by 5 or 35 probably doesn't tell us as much as the following two games. If we've truly improved, we should beat USC by 10ish and then keep it close with Iowa/Tennessee (or beat Xavier/UTEP).

IMO the second and third games of that tournament are the real tests. We played UConn close early on last year and still had a terrible season, so whether we lose to Kansas by 5 or 35 probably doesn't tell us as much as the following two games. If we've truly improved, we should beat USC by 10ish and then keep it close with Iowa/Tennessee (or beat Xavier/UTEP).

Lol it will be 35 since there is a head coaching discrepancy with Kansas.

Agree with this. Those will be the first games against teams close to us in talent. Finish 2-1 and it could be promising.

I do agree the real test will be the 2nd two games, especially given how poorly this team has done in games 2 and 3 in these early season tourney's under Bzz.

With Kansas, we are obviously over matched, but I want to see how Devin handles it and if we can still handle the ball against a top team. We could play relatively well and still lose by 20.

I expect us to be down by 30 at some point versus Kansas, then they will likely rest the starters a lot. So 15-20 may be possible. There are only a couple teams even close to them in talent level. Did they beat Dook by 12? IT will not be pretty, and totally agree the next 2 games are the ones which will tell everything.

I watched the first 10 minutes of the replay and decided that we are awful, and will be annihilated by real teams.

I couldn't watch anymore because the crowd noise was so overwhelming.

Last edited:
It's just impossible to judge what we have here at this point. The facts are we are taking care of the teams we are supposed to beat. Maybe it's not saying much but that didn't happen the last 3 years. We all know Kansas is the first test. Seeing how they play against a top team will give us our first real indication of what this team is going to be.

While this is true, we also didn't play a bottom 20 hardest schedule over the course of our first three games any other years besides this year.

While this is true, we also didn't play a bottom 20 hardest schedule over the course of our first three games any other years besides this year.
I think a lot of people are splitting hairs here, or just want more losses vis-a-vis a tougher schdule to get rid of Bz. I looked at the NCSOS on Ken Pom going back to 2003. 8/11 years we were at 224 or higher. What is the difference between 286 and 224? We might play one fewer tougher game (which could depend on winning at a pre-season tourny), otherwise the rest of the schedule doesn't look much different and what we've normally been doing.

The norm: 2003 (224), 2006 (250), 2007 (264), 2008 (303), 2009 (265), 2011 (305), 2012 (283), 2013 (286).

The outliers: 2004 (74), 2005 (83), 2010 (100).

I'd like to be able to reasonably evaluate our team and feel like we building toward ACC play.

Right now the SOS is 337.
So what? We normally start with a very easy schedule of teams we "should" beat easily, which should be anyone probably 200 or higher. Kansas is #4. Then #24 Villanova or #127 USC. Then it'll be Iowa #22, #43 Xavier, #79 UTEP, or #40 Tenn. Do you seriously think we'll be anywhere near #337 after those 3 games?

I'd like to be able to reasonably evaluate our team and feel like we building toward ACC play.
Given the first 8 games, isn't that what we're doing? Start light, go to a pretty tough tourney with a top 5 opening game. That should sort out the team. Then we play 3 easy games around #70 Richmond which always gives us problems...and St Bona is #102 right now so they may not be a cupcake. Then on the road at #43 Xavier before starting ACC play.

I dunno. I kept reading how our NC schedule was the easiest in history but when I started looking at the numbers, that assessment just doesn't add up, at least going by current Ken Pom numbers. It looks to me it might end up in the mid 200s but I don't know exactly how he calculates NCSOS. I always thought it was games played to date, but maybe it's total projected? The latter doesn't seem logical to me.

Yeah it's just games played to date and no our SOS won't remain 337 after Atlantis, I was just pointing out that the reason were dominating right now is we've played three bad teams. As PH points out it's kind of hard to tell where the team is at this point. It's a better sign that were beating this teams rather than losing a la Stetson though. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how we've played for the most part.

CMM and Devin will be the key. If CMM can impose his physical will we will can be a matchup problem given the way fouls are called.

Kansas beat Duke and if you look at the box score fouls did Duke in.

As bad has Bz is away from home, only having one 'true' road game, @ Xavier on Dec 28th, before the start of the ACC season may not be the best form of scheduling.

Yeah it's just games played to date and no our SOS won't remain 337 after Atlantis, I was just pointing out that the reason were dominating right now is we've played three bad teams. As PH points out it's kind of hard to tell where the team is at this point. It's a better sign that were beating this teams rather than losing a la Stetson though. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how we've played for the most part.
The worst NCSOS we had was in 2011 too, the year of Stetson! Pathetic what happened that year. Of course we were dragging a lot of those teams down ranking wise!

I haven't seen a game, but things sound like they're better. If Coron can hit that outside shot like last night, then offensively we'll be pretty balanced. My concerns: lack of McKie and a 3rd soph. For the future, we really need a 3rd soph AND Overton to be playing well by the end of the season. Probably need a defection or two from the 8 man class too.

Back